Notices

Old 01-06-2011, 12:04 PM   #31
paww
Connoisseur
paww began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook IQ 701
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceflor View Post
Rooting allows you to install app2sd, which in turn gives you the possibility to have your apps saved on your SD card, thus gaining a huge amount of space for many more apps. In the original unrooted version the PB FW has a very limited space allocated to apps.
I searched high and low and cannot find apps2sd off the market? No apk or alternative markets had it.

Have you got that file?
paww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 12:24 PM   #32
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by paww View Post
I searched high and low and cannot find apps2sd off the market? No apk or alternative markets had it.

Have you got that file?
it's a hack to be found under the "market IQ" Thread here. But as I said, you have to root the IQ first, and the whole process probably voids your warranty (but I am no PB employee).
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2011, 07:29 PM   #33
paww
Connoisseur

Rooting isn't a problem, for some reason getting my Win 7 to work with SDK isn't happening so haven't been able to do the market hack. So no .apk file available?
Old 01-06-2011, 07:56 PM   #34
hiaig
Addict
hiaig has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hiaig has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hiaig has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hiaig has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hiaig has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: jetbook and PocketBook IQ
Quote:
Rooting isn't a problem, for some reason getting my Win 7 to work with SDK isn't happening so haven't been able to do the market hack. So no .apk file available?
what seems to be the issue with sdk and win7?
hiaig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 02:05 AM   #35
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I use win7, and it works fine with SDK. Things are just a bit different when going through the driver installation, but in the Market IQ thread there is a very good solution described that worked perfect for me. You really want to read the whole thread carefully, it is packed with workarounds and advices.
Advert
Old 01-07-2011, 08:36 PM   #36
paww
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiaig View Post
what seems to be the issue with sdk and win7?
After downloading the stuff for android, asked for a specific version of java which I downloaded. Installed it no problem (or so it appears) but when I go back to install the android stuff it still doesn't recognise it installed on the computer. Tried all sorts of things to get it to work to no avail.

After several hours I stopped and sadly had to accept I won't be getting the market on my IQ.
Old 01-08-2011, 05:53 PM   #37
sapokiko
sapokiko began at the beginning.

Device: pocketbook iq
Hi folks,

I have been following SaturnGirl's progress, since I got my IQ a couple days after she did. FJ and Paww, you guys are awesome, and aceflor, and everyone else who has posted here... thanks for the help, I was able to update the firmware, and now that I have an SD card adapter, I'm looking at which apps to install.

Saturn, I hope that you are happier now with your IQ. I also have reservations about rooting ('bricking' - I hope not) but maybe someday.

Thanks for all the help, and cheers!

Kiko
sapokiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 05:59 PM   #38
Icewyng
Addict
Icewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura about

Device: Pocketbook 301+, Pocketbook IQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapokiko View Post
Saturn, I hope that you are happier now with your IQ. I also have reservations about rooting ('bricking' - I hope not) but maybe someday.
There is no real way to brick the IQ only with firmware. The only way you could brick it is if you were trying to install a bootloader and something went wrong...

If you use Z4root and follow the steps provided in the forums, you are safe
Icewyng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 09:46 PM   #39
sapokiko
sapokiko began at the beginning.

Device: pocketbook iq
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icewyng View Post
There is no real way to brick the IQ only with firmware. The only way you could brick it is if you were trying to install a bootloader and something went wrong...

If you use Z4root and follow the steps provided in the forums, you are safe
Thanks Icewyng, that's comforting... even though (or perhaps because) I have some systems programming experience, I really want to get familiar with the device before I try anything as advanced as rooting.
sapokiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 03:54 PM   #40
saturngirl1701
Connoisseur
saturngirl1701 began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapokiko View Post
Hi folks,

I have been following SaturnGirl's progress, since I got my IQ a couple days after she did. FJ and Paww, you guys are awesome, and aceflor, and everyone else who has posted here... thanks for the help, I was able to update the firmware, and now that I have an SD card adapter, I'm looking at which apps to install.

Thanks for all the help, and cheers!

Kiko
Yeah, I'm "happier," but I'd be happier still if the thing were a bit more responsive. I have to admit that I'm a little spoiled now because I was given an iPod touch and the iBook app is just so smooth, that you can see how far the Android devices have to go to match that. Still, I'm looking forward to the firmware update.

BTW, anyone know of an .apk for Google eReader? I'm not entirely sure how to transfer books I've gotten through their service onto the IQ.
saturngirl1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 03:56 PM   #41
saturngirl1701
Connoisseur
saturngirl1701 began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs-500
Anyone know when the next firmware update's coming out?
saturngirl1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 05:09 PM   #42
aceflor
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturngirl1701 View Post
Anyone know when the next firmware update's coming out?
Nope, and knowing PB, not holding my breath ......
Old 01-10-2011, 06:42 PM   #43
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturngirl1701 View Post
I was given an iPod touch and the iBook app is just so smooth, that you can see how far the Android devices have to go to match that.
What you are experiencing has nothing to do wth android iBook or iOS.
It has everything to do with the difference between the capacitance touchscreen on the iPod and the resistive touchscreen on the IQ.
(In other words don't expect a software update to improve responsiveness much.)

For an example of how a capacitance-screened android tablet performs, look at the NookColor, Archos 7in tablet, or Velocity Micro T301. Of course, all three are priced $100 higher than the IQ. Depending on your iPod model, your smaller, lower-resolution iPod liely cost more.

You can improve performance a bit by going to settings, applications, running services, and shut down everthing but the keyboard app.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 09:47 PM   #44
JP36
Enthusiast
JP36 began at the beginning.

Device: Ipaq 2200, Pocketbook IQ 701, Sony PRS350
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
What you are experiencing has nothing to do wth android iBook or iOS.
It has everything to do with the difference between the capacitance touchscreen on the iPod and the resistive touchscreen on the IQ.
(In other words don't expect a software update to improve responsiveness much.)

For an example of how a capacitance-screened android tablet performs, look at the NookColor, Archos 7in tablet, or Velocity Micro T301. Of course, all three are priced $100 higher than the IQ. Depending on your iPod model, your smaller, lower-resolution iPod liely cost more.

You can improve performance a bit by going to settings, applications, running services, and shut down everthing but the keyboard app.
Is it also that not much was done with the Android OS before putting it on the tablet(s)? I see 'phone' numerous places and get the feeling that it hasn't been rewritten/optimized for the tablet very much ,if at all, seems to me like the bare minimum was done to make it work and then make the 'home' menu/applications.
JP36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 07:52 AM   #45
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by JP36 View Post
Is it also that not much was done with the Android OS before putting it on the tablet(s)? I see 'phone' numerous places and get the feeling that it hasn't been rewritten/optimized for the tablet very much ,if at all, seems to me like the bare minimum was done to make it work and then make the 'home' menu/applications.
Oh, no question: there's a *lot* of areas where Android can be improved for tablets without porking it up. But the "responsiveness" issue you see brought up in many reviews is a function of the touchscreen more often than not.
Basically it boils down to the fact that resistive touchscreens were designed for tapping more than swiping and styli more than fingers.

Capacitance touch screens are a whole decade newer tech, and inherently more responsive but they also add cost. Probably not the whole extra $100 difference you see between the IQ and VM T301, but a good chunk of it.

If you look at the recent CES coverage, you'll see a whole bunch of upcoming Android slates coming with capacitance screens. All priced north of US$300.

I like the IQ and I'm getting a lot of use out of it both reading and surfing despite its Android 2.0 limitations. But if it were priced like the NookColor I wouldn't have it, capacitance screen or not. Not with Android 2.x.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote