Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-18-2006, 04:23 AM   #1
Stuart Young
MobileRead Editor
Stuart Young has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: e61i / Eee PC / PRS-505
Happenings over at Sony's ebooks.connect.com

Agreed it's not much to look at. I've been keeping an eye on http://ebooks.connect.com/ - aka the URL which will be the home of the new Sony Reader (PRS-500). Normally you'd get either a 404 or a time-out error. Occasionally, if your lucky, you might get a glimpse of what the e-book connect interface will look like (complete with a Da Vinci Code book cover). Today you see what's in the screen capture to the left. As I said not much to look at, however it's nice to see something going on there an maybe we'll see something by way of an official site very soon.
Stuart Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 05:46 AM   #2
diabloNL
Gadget Force®
diabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with others

Device: Sony PRS-300 + Cybook with funny screen :P
I have seen the site a couple of times and it looked very good and organized
diabloNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-18-2006, 06:41 AM   #3
Stuart Young
MobileRead Editor
Stuart Young has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: e61i / Eee PC / PRS-505
Glad someone else had seen it too. Alex will be thinking I'm struggling to find things for the front page. If you see it again can you get a screen grab?
Stuart Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 08:03 AM   #4
diabloNL
Gadget Force®
diabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with others

Device: Sony PRS-300 + Cybook with funny screen :P
Will sure do!
diabloNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 10:06 AM   #5
CCDMan
CCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toys

Device: *****
Ha! And Google thinks it has a simple page layout! <g>
CCDMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-18-2006, 11:31 AM   #6
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
They put a new screen shot for the Connect Store on the "Explore the Portable Reader" thing a while back -- replaced the DaVinci Code one that is.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 03:52 PM   #7
lordvetinari2
Zealot
lordvetinari2 is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi & Galaxy Note
Gosh, we are dying for a Sony eReader, aren't we?

<begging mode> Please, please, gimme one, gimme one! </begging mode>
lordvetinari2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 04:20 PM   #8
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordvetinari2
Gosh, we are dying for a Sony eReader, aren't we?
I spent my lunch break reading on my T3; the last few minutes of said time I went to warm up a bit in the steam sauna we Houstonians fondly refer to as 'outside' (the A/C systems down here have only one setting, you see: 'cryo').

So I guess you could say I'm looking forward to a ... more readable display. Just not enough for me to convince the wife that I should spend $700 on one.
Old 08-19-2006, 01:38 PM   #9
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Welcome to the club ! Do they realize how expensive the Irex is ? You can buy a laptop for that price.

Sony's been stalling since last december. Why !
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 12:41 AM   #10
NatCh
Gizmologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible
Sony's been stalling since last december. Why !
The first time-frame I remember was spring -- did they have one before that?

Since spring we've only had the, ahem, colonically generated (by the PR firm) "August" (maybe we shouldn't blame them for their PR firm running amuck) and "Fall."

Perhaps they're trying to avoid a scene like is going on with the iLiad by making sure the product works before launching it.
Old 09-06-2006, 10:44 PM   #11
Xtremegene
Connoisseur
Xtremegene began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500 --- Nokia n800
That URL is non-existant again (times out). Normal operating procedure or a sign of the real website being put up?
Xtremegene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 06:52 PM   #12
NatCh
Gizmologist

I think it's old, but this variant of the Connect Store has some stuff addressed to publishers. Here's a screen cap, in case it's momentary.
Old 09-26-2006, 01:51 PM   #13
Xtremegene
Connoisseur
Xtremegene began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500 --- Nokia n800
At least one page is up on ebooks.connect.com - the $50 Connect ebooks credit with new Reader purchase offer.

Can't find anything else up yet though.
Xtremegene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 02:12 PM   #14
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtremegene
At least one page is up on ebooks.connect.com - the $50 Connect ebooks credit with new Reader purchase offer.

Can't find anything else up yet though.
Hah, you probably found the only accessible page on e.c.com right now
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote