Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-31-2010, 08:51 PM   #1
ziegl027
Addict
ziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony Touch, Kindle DXG
Question Can I have the program on an external hard drive?

This may be a stupid question, please bear with me!

I have a somewhat nomadic lifestyle in relation to computers. Can I install Calibre onto an external hard drive so it and its library can physically be carried with me? If so, do I just tell the install wizard to put it someplace different than what it picks as a default?

I would have the library backed up, of course.
ziegl027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 08:44 AM   #2
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziegl027 View Post
This may be a stupid question, please bear with me!

I have a somewhat nomadic lifestyle in relation to computers. Can I install Calibre onto an external hard drive so it and its library can physically be carried with me? If so, do I just tell the install wizard to put it someplace different than what it picks as a default?

I would have the library backed up, of course.
It's not a stupid question at all. Yes, you can carry it with you. Read itimpi's posts in this thread.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-01-2010, 09:57 AM   #3
ziegl027
Addict
ziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony Touch, Kindle DXG
Thanks! I may, though, have to have my friendly neighborhood computer geek read itimpi's posts, though, as I don't really understand the step-by-step process involved. I found one reply particularly humorous protesting that the replier was "not computer literate" but had altered the "batch code" to suit his/her purposes. I have only a vague idea of what batch code is, I confess, and absolutely no clue how or why I could change it to do something I want to do.

At least I'm better off than my father in law. He can't operate even basic functions on a DVR (like "play" or "pause", for example--recording something that occurs in the future is absolutely out of the question).
ziegl027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 12:18 PM   #4
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziegl027 View Post
Thanks! I may, though, have to have my friendly neighborhood computer geek read itimpi's posts...
If you can get someone else to do it, that's the easiest. I have a few friends I suspect of retaining their alleged ignorance just to avoid work

Regardless, I believe there was a link in that thread to a portable app, if you have trouble with the batch file method. A portable app will avoid having to deal with the batch file, although it's not maintained perfectly up-to date.

Good luck. (I'm sure if you get too lost in the batch file, someone here will help you - it's a very friendly place to ask questions.)
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote