Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 08-28-2009, 07:48 AM   #1
aabeg100
Enthusiast
aabeg100 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.aabeg100 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.aabeg100 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.aabeg100 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.aabeg100 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iRex Iliad
Help needed reading signed Pdf Files

Hi,

I hope you guys can help me out. I have already had so much help from this forum and I really think you guys can help solve this problem too......

My friend sent me a couple of his pdf files and they are digitally signed. The open on my computer in normal adobe reader without any problem but when I try to open them in my Iliad it asks for password. I am using the fullscreen ipdf viewer that I installed from this site.

Please let me know if there is any way to read these files on Iliad. I would really really appreciate it.

Thank you all in advance.

Asim Baig
aabeg100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 10:56 AM   #2
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
I thought there was a way to bring up the keyboard on the iLiad and type in the password. I've never done it with a signed PDF though, so I'm not 100% sure. I believe I've seen other people saying that it works though.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-31-2009, 08:39 PM   #3
aabeg100
Enthusiast
aabeg100 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.aabeg100 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.aabeg100 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.aabeg100 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.aabeg100 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Its true .... The keyboard does come up and asks for the password... but I was hoping not to ask my friend for his password. After all, Passwords are supposed to be personal and secret......

Is there any other option or do I have to ask for the password?
Old 08-31-2009, 11:00 PM   #4
ericshliao
Guru
ericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enough

Device: Dell X51v; iLiad v2
So, you are asking how to crack protected password, aren't you? Well, you shouldn't expect iLiad provide better service than desktop, since iLiad is much much much less pwoerful than desktop. I would suggest crack the pdf file with your desktop and read it on your iLiad.
ericshliao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 08:10 AM   #5
aabeg100
Enthusiast

Hi ericshliao,

I am by no means asking how to crack protected password. Maybe I didnt explain it correctly. Let me try again.

My friend sent me some of his pdf files. They have a digital signature on them. When I open them in Adobe reader or foxit reader on my desktop they just open without asking for any password or anything. They do show on the first page that they are digitally signed but when I try to open them in iliad to read the ipdf reader askes for password.

Now I was assuming that the digital signature is there on the document to stop others from changing the document but not to stop them from viewing it. If this is indeed the case then how come I cant view these document on iliad without giving a password? Is there any way of viewing the document on iliad or do I have to either (as you said) crack the proctected password or (as shaggy said) ask the friend for the password.

Please help ........
Advert
Old 09-01-2009, 09:17 AM   #6
ericshliao
Guru
ericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enough

Device: Dell X51v; iLiad v2
Sorry for the mis-understanding. I have never had the chance to open a protected pdf with iLiad. The only thing I can think of is to print the protected pdf (if possible) to another pdf (using pdf printer) on your desktop.
ericshliao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 01:08 PM   #7
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Just to be clear, there are a couple different protection schemes that PDFs can have.

1) Password protection.
2) Usage Restrictions (usually on things like printing, etc).
3) Adobe DRM (aka digitally signed/encrypted).

The iLiad does not support #3. If it is just password protected, then you need to get the password from your friend. If it's digitally signed/encrypted with Adobe's eBook DRM, then the iLiad is not going to be able to open it.

I would assume that they don't have #3, because you can open the files on your PC without any problem. However, I can't really say without knowing more about the files.

As ericshliao says, you can try saving/printing to another PDF file and see if that one will open. Otherwise, I think you're going to have to ask for the password (unless you want to look around on "hacker" sites for something to crack the password).
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote