Notices

Old 05-10-2009, 09:40 AM   #1
pimpoum
Enthusiast
pimpoum began at the beginning.

Device: none
handling multiple formats

Hi everyone,

I'm getting started with Calibre and I'm loving it so far. I've tried to find an answer to this question on the forum bt couldn't so please forgive me if this has already been asked.

1/ How do you handle multiple formats? Is there an efficient way?

2/When I add books through directories and sub-directories (different files in the same directory being considered as different formats), I get a single entry in Calibre, but how do I choose which one gets copied on my eReader?

3/When I already have an entry and I want to add another file for the same book but in a different format, what is the best way yo go about it?

Thanks a lot to the developer!
pimpoum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 12:22 PM   #2
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
I am assuming that you are taking about multiple formats of the same book...
Add a book to Clibre, click on the Edit Meta data button and on the top right you will see the available book format... click the icon that looks like a book with a + on it and you can select the other formats of the same book to add...

The program stores all formats of the same book in the same directory and Calibre know what reader supports what and send the right one. There is also a titny arrow on the Send to Device button that bring down a menu and you can choose the format you send to the device.
What I dont know is what Calibre does when there are more than one format supported by the device. Ie, mobi, prc, azw for the kindle or LRF, LRX, PRF for the Sony... Maybe someone that knows more than I can answer that one...

For the 3rd part, I kinda answered as to what I do for multiple formats. I have a Kindle and Sony in my household and keep several formats ready for most books also and what I said above is what works for me though your mileage will vary...

-Rob
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-10-2009, 01:21 PM   #3
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcuadro View Post
What I dont know is what Calibre does when there are more than one format supported by the device. Ie, mobi, prc, azw for the kindle or LRF, LRX, PRF for the Sony... Maybe someone that knows more than I can answer that one...
0.5x and earlier sends the first supported format in the list of formats supported by the device. So if you have a book in txt and mobi and you send it to a kindle, the mobi will be sent because it is higher in the list of formats. the preference order for the Kindle is ['azw', 'mobi', 'prc', 'azw1', 'tpz', 'txt'].

The upcoming 0.6 version will allow you to change the preference order for each supported device. So if you prefer txt to mobi you can have txt sent instead of the mobi when both are present.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote