Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-25-2008, 07:49 PM   #31
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
rounded off edges makes indeed look like some sort of apple designer got busy there...

Once you start looking at it,designing isn't an easy thing!
We've all been spoiled in the latest years by great design cars, computers, laptops...

seeing this kindle, makes me think back on the '80 and '90's when everyone was driving a square car, and computers where all yellowed out white plastic (some more yellow than others).

The screen boarder looks almost as big as the screen itself!
I like flat designs, but they should also come with a tiny border.
EeePc 901 has one of the best LCD borders around the screen;tiny, lovely, & expensive looking!
A big border makes it look like some sort of Fisher Price/Mattel design!

*Edit: Talking of Mattel,maybe I'm getting older, but lately I haven't heard much about it anymore...*
Sorry man but aPple is much more serious design wise. Look at an iTouch or an iPhone, the screen's the center and reason for the design. If you look at this ... well... *thing* it's got more acreage in the bezel and surrounding plastic than in the screen wich BTW should be the business center of a reader.
aPple smells, knows, and uses any business end.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 09:13 PM   #32
Boston
Fanatic
Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Aura H20, Pixel XL
Personally, I think pictures don't do the Kindle justice...maybe because its not as clunky as it appears. In fact, as a reader, I think most of the design makes a lot of sense. I would take functional over looks...but again, I bought a fugly Cowon PMP over the sleeker iPod.

When I look at the pictures of the supposed Kindle 2.0, I don't see anything that would tempt me to upgrade. I'd like to think that what we are seeing is a no-frills model that sells for much less. That's what the ebook market needs to make it more mainstream. Take away the web browser (keep Whispernet for the store only), no SD card, no audio, no removable battery and sell it for $199 (one can wish, right?). Personally, I would like to see more done to move eReaders to the mainstream (Amazon's content/pricing being a strong first step).

Admittedly, even before today's posts, I got worried when the ship period jumped from "by Christmas" to "early February" overnight. It made me wonder if Amazon had hoped to have produced enough Kindles for the holidays and was phasing out production for a newer model...and got caught short.

I hope that any software enhancements get pushed down or they will have some unhappy Kindle 1.0 users.
Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-25-2008, 11:04 PM   #33
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston View Post
Personally, I think pictures don't do the Kindle justice...maybe because its not as clunky as it appears. In fact, as a reader, I think most of the design makes a lot of sense. I would take functional over looks...but again, I bought a fugly Cowon PMP over the sleeker iPod.
Cowon isn't as ugly as Kindle

Quote:
Take away the web browser (keep Whispernet for the store only), no SD card, no audio,..
It doesn't really cost a lot to implement audio or SD card in a device like this. the most complex is the software support. Once that's done,you probably pay only $10-$15 to have these functions on the reader.

As far as SD card, I'd definitely not want without!
And I think the majority does not!, unless we're talking about 1,5GB diskspace books.
Prices should fall down, since the price for flash memory have dropped enormous since last year! It's only natural to get devices with more than twice the memory for the same price as last years.

Quote:
... no removable battery and ....
This is becoming a standard in Europe,and probably in the world soon.
Batteries,due to being non-recyclable need to be removable. Better for the user to upgrade too.

$199 is a good price for an ebook reader like sony(or Kindle 1); I would definately agree!
The most expensive item at the moment is the e-ink screen.
Prices will probably fall with next upcoming generation of Ebook readers, especially after they vamp up production!

If E-ink is not going to, then I hope another company will,and there'llbe some concurrence in the market!
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 08:11 AM   #34
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by [COLOR="Red"
ProDigit;296336]Cowon isn't as ugly as Kindle

[/COLOR]
TAKE IT BACK!!!!!!
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 09:58 AM   #35
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Nothing is as ugly as the kindle.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-26-2008, 09:59 AM   #36
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
But why buy if the new package has the same software as the old? If 1.0 can get a software update, I think eBay prices will go even higher for it. Losing user battery replacement and SD card support is not a good thing.

I will still buy whatever they put out.
Because the current Kindle has a pretty good set of features.
Old 11-26-2008, 10:02 AM   #37
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
TAKE IT BACK!!!!!!
Mwahahaha

Okok, I'll take it back

Cowon:

*edit: darn,they removed their picture!*

I myself own an older Cowon D2 (8GB internal memory &touchscreen).

Last edited by ProDigit; 11-26-2008 at 12:06 PM.
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 10:08 AM   #38
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Because the current Kindle has a pretty good set of features.
That's what I mean. Why buy 2.0 if you can get 1.0. The price of 2.0 will probably be higher and it's lost a couple of nice features. IMO, the form factor of 2.0 is not enough reason to buy if the software is not superior to 1.0.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 10:14 AM   #39
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
That's what I mean. Why buy 2.0 if you can get 1.0. The price of 2.0 will probably be higher and it's lost a couple of nice features. IMO, the form factor of 2.0 is not enough reason to buy if the software is not superior to 1.0.
I was thinking that Amazon would replace the current Kindle with the new one, and keep the price the same.
Old 11-26-2008, 10:27 AM   #40
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
I was thinking that Amazon would replace the current Kindle with the new one, and keep the price the same.
I think you're right but that was why I said I think eBay prices for 1.0 will go up. If 2.0 is not superior to 1.0, those who can will look to purchase 1.0 from other sources because they will still be able to change the battery and use an SD card.

BTW, 1.0 owners may want to purchase that replacement battery before they become rare (with lack of support for 1.0). I'm placing my order today.
Old 11-26-2008, 11:12 AM   #41
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TadW View Post
Wait a sec... he wasn't satisfied with the software... but no word on the hardware? If the leaked image depicted here is real, then I must seriously question his sense of taste...
Didn't you question after Kindle 1.0?
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 12:28 PM   #42
MaggieScratch
Has got to the black veil
MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kindle Paperwhite 2
It does look like they heard all the fanboi cries of "If Apple had designed the Kindle it would be cooooooool!" and did what they think is an Apple design--white with rounded corners. Unfortunately it looks like the keyboard is going to be uncomfortable to use with one's thumbs. Though it's hard to tell the scale from a photo.

I thought the Kindle was fugly from the leaked FCC photos, but when I saw one in person I thought it was rather cute. And the interface isn't nearly as clunky as it seems when you read about it. It's quite a nice package.
MaggieScratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 01:55 PM   #43
CCDMan
CCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toys

Device: *****
Many on this thread seem to be repeating a new version of the of the pre-Kindle "it's ugly" threads which we endured ad nauseum before and after the original release. I will say what I said then. WHO CARES what it looks like if it works better!? It is a fricking READER, not a piece of framed artwork.
CCDMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 02:01 PM   #44
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCDMan View Post
Many on this thread seem to be repeating a new version of the of the pre-Kindle "it's ugly" threads which we endured ad nauseum before and after the original release. I will say what I said then. WHO CARES what it looks like if it works better!? It is a fricking READER, not a piece of framed artwork.
I gave you Karma on that. Function over form!
Old 11-26-2008, 02:20 PM   #45
drgnbear
Evil alien overlord.
drgnbear began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I agree

Oh Bauhaus...

"Form Follows Function"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Form_follows_function

In the late 1910s the two principles of “form follows function” and “ornament is a crime” were effectively adopted by the designers of the Bauhaus and applied to the production of everyday objects like chairs, bedframes, toothbrushes, tunics, and teapots. Some of those forms were refined and purified to such an extreme degree that they became unusable by humans, but generally the Bauhaus still constructively influences the look, feel and function of consumer goods down to the present day.

Last edited by drgnbear; 11-26-2008 at 02:24 PM. Reason: additions for clarification
drgnbear is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
amazon, kindle 2.0