Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-01-2016, 10:08 AM   #31
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I was referring to the windowing of hardback and paperback releases, not to hardback and ebook releases.
...ok? It seemed a reasonable assumption to make, given that you followed three posts all referring to hardback/ebook windowing, and this is the E-book General forum. Carry on.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 11:39 AM   #32
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
Thing is, I don't really see the problem with e-book windowing. I've been dealing with windowing all my life, in the p-book realm. The expensive hardcover comes out, I wait a year, I get the much more reasonably priced paperback. I would never expect the paperback to come out at the same time; I'm financially rewarded by being patient.

So I don't really have a problem with e-book windowing. It's the same system. I'm not entitled to getting the book as soon as it comes out in every single format.

What's kinda nice is that they're not doing windowing in quite the same way. If I want the e-book while the hardcover is out, most of the time I can get it. Most of the time I'll end up paying more then the hardcover because of the bloody no-sales policies, but it's possible.

If I wait until the paperback (Or MMPB to be precise) comes out, I get to buy the e-book usually for around 10-20% less then the equivalent MMPB. Fine by me.
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-01-2016, 12:00 PM   #33
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottdmk View Post
Thing is, I don't really see the problem with e-book windowing. I've been dealing with windowing all my life, in the p-book realm. The expensive hardcover comes out, I wait a year, I get the much more reasonably priced paperback. I would never expect the paperback to come out at the same time; I'm financially rewarded by being patient.
These days, you wait for the paperback and it is no longer reasonably priced.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 12:28 PM   #34
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Revenue is only stable because they have been buying other publishers.

Their market share is shrinking, and they're not signing as ,amy new midlist publishers as they used to.
Or paying as much to the midlisters (while demanding all rights, to boot) which is why they aren't signing as many of them.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 05:30 PM   #35
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
By that point you can often get a used hardback for pennies, plus postage. This sale doesn't help the publisher at all!
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-02-2016, 02:12 AM   #36
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Thing is, I don't really see the problem with e-book windowing.
Do you have a print disability?
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 02:40 AM   #37
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
I wasn't talking about hardback/paperback windowing, I was talking about hardback/ebook windowing.
Is that still even a thing? I can't think of any windowed eBooks in the past few years and it never really took of (at least here in the US).

I can think of publishers that "window" their books from retailers by only selling them direct for the first month or so. I can think of publishers who are still indifferent to eBooks and don't always put everything out digitally, but I can't think of any doing the traditional release the pBook and withhold the eBook for X months thing.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 10:36 AM   #38
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
Do you have a print disability?
Thankfully, no. I can certainly understand why old-style windowing would be frustrating for someone in that situation. It's one thing to choose to wait for a cheaper price; another thing entirely to have to wait.

At least current eBook release policies even the playing field.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf
I think that's more a matter of opinion, although I'll admit missing the days of the $5 mmpb.
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 12:40 PM   #39
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:

I think that's more a matter of opinion, although I'll admit missing the days of the $5 mmpb.
I disagree. paperback books have gotten to be expensive. A lot of them are no longer MMPB and the price is like $12-$15. That's crazy for a format that's terrible. It's the newish taller and thinner paperback that no longer fits on the shelf. It just does not feel good holding it to read.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 06:03 PM   #40
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Thankfully, no. I can certainly understand why old-style windowing would be frustrating for someone in that situation. It's one thing to choose to wait for a cheaper price; another thing entirely to have to wait.

I miss the good old days when paperbacks where under a buck. But that's kind of how things go, prices go up after time. You know, one of the reasons that waiters and waitresses sometimes don't like serving older people is those people tend to forget that a dime is not longer considered a good tip. Time marches on.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 11:57 PM   #41
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
...although I'll admit missing the days of the $5 mmpb.
THe two MMPB's I have sitting next to be right now have cover prices of $.60 and $.95
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 02:49 AM   #42
Luv2ReadnCreate
Luv2ReadnCreate began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis, PW 2
I was in B&N the other day and saw the latest release of a series I love. In hardback. For nearly $30. I confess I went home and bought the ebook for $13 from Amazon. Sorry B&N but $30 for a hardback is just ridiculous.
Luv2ReadnCreate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 03:02 AM   #43
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
That's the point: you consider it to be ridiculous, but nonetheless they sell. Hardbacks truly are the cash cow for publishers, and that's why hardbacks and paperbacks are windowed.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 04:57 AM   #44
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
That's the point: you consider it to be ridiculous, but nonetheless they sell. Hardbacks truly are the cash cow for publishers, and that's why hardbacks and paperbacks are windowed.
Yep, the appropriate price point is the price that enough people are willing to pay.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 06:29 AM   #45
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Agreed. What normally happens is that the ebook is initially released as a similar price to the HB, and then the price is reduced when the MMPB is released (typically a year later).
They should just release everything at the same time. Maybe I'm an exception, but if I want the e-book, I'm not going to buy the hardback or the paperback, even if they're cheaper. If I want the paperback, I'm not going to buy the hardcover, not even if it's the only one available.

I buy what I want, and only if I think the price is worth it, or I buy nothing.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote