Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Would you purchase ebooks if they had DRM that couldn't be removed?
Yes 21 14.79%
No 121 85.21%
Voters: 142. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-30-2016, 09:05 AM   #16
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Books are fungible, but they're not that fungible. The books I want to read, with the exception of public domain, are virtually without exception DRMed. Again, it would be nose-cutting for face-spiting for me to pursue a policy that DRMless books could replace the DRMful.

Reading's my favorite activity and I want to read what I want to read. DRM is a trifle, especially in a scenario where my favorite platform depended on purchasing DRMed books. As I said, Amazon would get much less of my business, but if I had to purchase a Kindle to get access to the content I wanted, I'd do that too.
To me, books are more fungible for both author and container. If a "must read" book didn't come out at the library (in either ebook or pbook), I would just skip it.

There are so many good/great/must read books out there, and so many books I want to read, missing an occasional book isn't going to kill me, and my nose would still be attached to my face.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 09:06 AM   #17
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Books are fungible, but they're not that fungible.

"Fungible" is, like "quality", in the eye (or wallet) of the beholder.
Everybody has their own set of values, their own triggers, their own boundaries.

There are several authors I used to buy that will never see a cent from me again because of things they've said and done. One of them has an ongoing series I was following. No more.

Hasn't killed me.
The money is going to somebody else so, yes, totally replaceable.
Nobody is good enough that I can't survive without their books.

Doesn't mean I expect everybody to share my values, though.
It's just that there is more than enough good content in the genres I enjoy that I don't have to support fools.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-30-2016, 09:22 AM   #18
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
To me, books are more fungible for both author and container. If a "must read" book didn't come out at the library (in either ebook or pbook), I would just skip it.

There are so many good/great/must read books out there, and so many books I want to read, missing an occasional book isn't going to kill me, and my nose would still be attached to my face.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
"Fungible" is, like "quality", in the eye (or wallet) of the beholder.
Everybody has their own set of values, their own triggers, their own boundaries.

There are several authors I used to buy that will never see a cent from me again because of things they've said and done. One of them has an ongoing series I was following. No more.

Hasn't killed me.
The money is going to somebody else so, yes, totally replaceable.
Nobody is good enough that I can't survive without their books.

Doesn't mean I expect everybody to share my values, though.
It's just that there is more than enough good content in the genres I enjoy that I don't have to support fools.
I don't disagree with either statement in that I'm more than willing to get along without a particular book I want to read, based on price and other contingencies. As I said, books are fungible, to an extent. But I can't extrapolate from that to all books, because I'd be SOL in regard to the aggregate that I want to read, if I weren't willing to buy DRMed books.

I prefer to deDRM my books, but it's hardly a deal-breaker. I especially ascribe no value at all to "not supporting fools." If the book I want to read is available at or less than the price I'm willing to pay, then I'll buy it. So who's the fool?
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 10:07 AM   #19
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
We've just seen the B&N debacle in the UK, which is just the latest in a series. As I write this, Paul has a thread where he has been trying for many months in vain to get Amazon to state its policy on access to content after an account is closed. And of course there was the whole 1984 debacle. Amazon is a great company with great customer service but it is not perfect. And the others don't even come close. This alone is a good reason to think twice about buying ebooks if DRM cannot be removed. I should add that I have no objection to so-called 'Social DRM", which I personally don't classify as DRM at all.
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 10:10 AM   #20
dixieknits
Addict
dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook Color
Yes, I would buy, but would expect the seller, Amazon, Nook or whoever to improve their reading aps. Many more choices of formatting are needed for me. Bolding letters at night, line spacing, margins, etc and yes I really like page numbers.
dixieknits is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-30-2016, 10:16 AM   #21
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixieknits View Post
Yes, I would buy, but would expect the seller, Amazon, Nook or whoever to improve their reading aps. Many more choices of formatting are needed for me. Bolding letters at night, line spacing, margins, etc and yes I really like page numbers.
How do you manage with paper books, where none of these things can be changed, if such changes are a necessity for you?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 10:58 AM   #22
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
I'm voting yes for reasons already stated by others (occasional "must read" book, most books I won't re-read) however it's worth pointing out that no DRM can be uncrackable. Or rather there's always going to be the "analogue hole".
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 11:28 AM   #23
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by latepaul View Post
I'm voting yes for reasons already stated by others (occasional "must read" book, most books I won't re-read) however it's worth pointing out that no DRM can be uncrackable. Or rather there's always going to be the "analogue hole".
Yes, at least for audiobooks. And for ebooks, there is scanning and ocr. Perhaps even tts and voice recognition software. It is quite ironic to consider that drm free versions of many books will likely end up being only available from Pirate Sites. Lead us not into temptation ....
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 11:35 AM   #24
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl View Post
Yes, at least for audiobooks. And for ebooks, there is scanning and ocr. Perhaps even tts and voice recognition software. It is quite ironic to consider that drm free versions of many books will likely end up being only available from Pirate Sites. Lead us not into temptation ....
Scanning and OCR or simply have someone type it up.

Cory Doctorow made the point that if you look at the piracy that existed before ebooks were mainstream, and look at the amount of work it took (IIRC he estimated ~8hours per book) and the fact that people were still willing to do it, well that should tell you something about how futile DRM is.

For myself, I wouldn't be willing to do that much work so I'd probably either live with the restrictions or not buy. Or possibly buy and then also download a pirate copy (I'm morally OK with that even if it's technically illegal).
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 11:38 AM   #25
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
My answer was yes. I never look to see if a book has DRM. Non issue for me.
My first thought was to be an average reader and comment what is DRM? Yes, I know what it is.
My second thought was there is a DRM out on the interstate.
See http://www.thedrmcompanies.com
But then I realized you aren't talking about books needing or not needing pipe.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 11:39 AM   #26
ekbell
Guru
ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I voted no as without the ability to remove DRM, I'm unlikely to even bother looking. It's why I don't check out the books in the Apple Store.

If there was a book I particularly wanted to read I'd do as I do with books priced above my willingness to pay, check the library. I'm lucky to live in an area with a sizable library where they solved the desire to make the branch libraries community 'living rooms' with more open space and lots of computers by warehousing books (accessible by request) rather then selling.
ekbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 12:04 PM   #27
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
Pretty much most of what I read had DRM on it.

If I could not back them up anymore, I would not buy anywhere but Amazon. Of all the places, I trust them most to stick around the longest and not leave me hanging in the case of doom.

I think I would though drift even more to the library to get my ebooks and those that aren't at the library I would put on wishlist for price reduction and then buy them.

I read for years kindle books with DRM and never knew anything about Alf so its not like it killed me then. Now all those books are freed, but I will still read what I want to read, even if that is not an option anymore. Like I said, what I want to read, tends to have DRM as it will be mostly with publishers. There is no substitute for the stuff I want to read.

I'll deal with whatever comes. I just want to read in the end. Even if I felt a bit better having a back up of the books I bought. Its not a deal breaker overall. But only with kindle books. I would never buy a epub anywhere.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 01:18 PM   #28
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
I wouldn't buy any ebook with DRM that I couldn't remove. I'd continue to buy DRM-free ebooks and borrow from the public library, but for the ebooks which were only available with unremovable DRM I would buy the paper version instead (mostly second-hand.)
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 02:27 PM   #29
Cosimo
Groupie
Cosimo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cosimo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cosimo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cosimo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cosimo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cosimo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cosimo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cosimo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cosimo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cosimo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cosimo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Yes.

I don't check the DRM status before I buy a book and I don't really care. If I were to lose my Kobo library I would switch to Kindle, re-buy my 'must have' books, and carry on from there.
Cosimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 03:52 PM   #30
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
I wouldn't buy any book with drm that I couldn't remove. Formatting on the first books I bought made me learn to strip drm and reformat to suit me. The book that drove me to this had huge side margins that I found so annoying I couldn't concentrate on what I was reading.

I no longer have must read authors since the price fixing, so that's not a problem for me. If I can't get a book at the library or in a form that drm can be removed I simply won't read it. I have enough books I haven't read yet to last me a lifetime anyway. I will never read paper books anymore because the font size is too small and the size and weight are too much.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote