Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Are you a paying subscriber to Kindle Unlimited/Scribd/Oyster?
Yes, Kindle Unlimited 37 20.33%
Yes, Scribd 16 8.79%
Yes, Oyster 2 1.10%
No 131 71.98%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 182. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-27-2015, 06:42 AM   #46
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Lady View Post
If you want to read something in a timely manner, you need to purchase if it's a recent book by a big publisher. For the ones available at a library you can wait months on the wait list.
In case anyone isn't aware...

If you are interested in a pre-release that the library doesn't have in their catalog, use the Recommend feature (and than ask your librarian to add the ebook); I find it is a great way to get a good spot on the wait list when it comes out.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 10:32 AM   #47
Dusky Rose
Connoisseur
Dusky Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusky Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusky Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusky Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusky Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusky Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusky Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusky Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusky Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusky Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusky Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Ipad mini retina, Kindle Voyage and Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
If you're not sure, why not look and see? Amazon offer a 30-day free trial.
Or do what I do. Create an Amazon Wish List of just the KU books that you run across and want to read. Then when the list gets big enough to be tempting, you can recheck to see how many are still there, and then jump in for the 30 day free trial.

You won't see the KU symbol while it's on your WL, unfortunately, so will need to 'clean house' once in a while. But I've got 126 books on my KU WL right now, so will have plenty to read once I jump back in.

I did that when they first started, and read about $40 worth of books on my free 30 days, then read about $15-36 worth a month for the next few months after that. (not counting the books I read and actually bought to keep.) I just left when my TBR pile at home kept calling me back.

The size of your KU WL and the current price shown for purchase of those books will help decide it it'll be worth it for you.
Dusky Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-27-2015, 02:29 PM   #48
birdbrainbb
Addict
birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Paperwhite 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusky Rose View Post
Or do what I do. Create an Amazon Wish List of just the KU books that you run across and want to read. Then when the list gets big enough to be tempting, you can recheck to see how many are still there, and then jump in for the 30 day free trial.

You won't see the KU symbol while it's on your WL, unfortunately, so will need to 'clean house' once in a while. But I've got 126 books on my KU WL right now, so will have plenty to read once I jump back in.

I did that when they first started, and read about $40 worth of books on my free 30 days, then read about $15-36 worth a month for the next few months after that. (not counting the books I read and actually bought to keep.) I just left when my TBR pile at home kept calling me back.

The size of your KU WL and the current price shown for purchase of those books will help decide it it'll be worth it for you.
That's a really great idea! I'm definitely going to do that; thanks so much for the advice.
birdbrainbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 10:03 AM   #49
Dusky Rose
Connoisseur
Dusky Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusky Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusky Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusky Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusky Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusky Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusky Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusky Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusky Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusky Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusky Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Ipad mini retina, Kindle Voyage and Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdbrainbb View Post
That's a really great idea! I'm definitely going to do that; thanks so much for the advice.
Check out the Deals and Freebies Forum for a sale on KU memberships! Probably only good for a very limited time.

[Ed. I just signed up for a year at $80. I can break even pretty quickly at that.]

Last edited by Dusky Rose; 11-30-2015 at 11:53 AM.
Dusky Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 01:49 PM   #50
Tattncat
Bookworm
Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Tablet, Samsung Galaxy Tab3, Sony PRS700, Sony PRS505
I Subscribe to Scribd mainly so my grandkids can have access to its books. I quit being interested in it when there was no longer the opportunity to pick up old out of print romances.
Tattncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-30-2015, 07:49 PM   #51
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
I also got the 1 year sub. $6.70 a month is not too bad, and I do have over 100 on my WL, so hopefully I will do alright.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 06:45 PM   #52
ebusinesstutor
Star Gawker
ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I use ScribeD for fantasy and science fiction and there is a good selection there. I probably read at least 20-25 books per month, so it is a real cost savings.

A great way to discover new authors and new books and try some things I wouldn't try otherwise.
ebusinesstutor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 08:37 AM   #53
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebusinesstutor View Post
I use ScribeD for fantasy and science fiction and there is a good selection there. I probably read at least 20-25 books per month, so it is a real cost savings.
I'm guessing those 20-25 books are not on the credit system? Is the credit system only for audio books? They lost me when they started with credits.

KU has a lot of SF/F in it's program, mostly indie I'd guess. But as you say, a great way to try books out.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 10:24 AM   #54
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
I'm guessing those 20-25 books are not on the credit system? Is the credit system only for audio books? They lost me when they started with credits.

KU has a lot of SF/F in it's program, mostly indie I'd guess. But as you say, a great way to try books out.
The books aren't on the credit system. They had to go to the credit system with audio because audio is so expensive.

I "sell" more books via SCRIBD than I did while in KU and now that you mention it, it is mostly the UF series that gets borrowed/read. It's weird how some systems sell different thing. My cozies are generally my best seller on Kobo and Kindle, but on SCRIBD my Dragons/adventure romance and the UF waaaay, waaaaay outsell the cozies.

I wonder if KU skews to having more of a certain genre and whether that matches the regular sales patterns at Amazon.
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 05:15 AM   #55
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
In 10 months of using Scribd (7 months paying for it), I'm maybe coming out ahead, compared to the cost of accessing the same content via Amazon, Audible or Comixology. It probably has kept down my comic and audiobook spending, even if my consumption hasn't been enough for me to always feel like I'm getting my money's worth.

This month is the first time I've run out of audiobook credits in the middle of the month--I took forever finishing up Margaret Atwood's Flood trilogy, then tore through Naomi Novik's first Temeraire book in a few days. I tried browsing the "unlimited" selection, but it's a joke. It's mostly short story collections broken out as individual titles, and/or LibriVox content. Actual novels are needles in the haystack.

Writing this post actually inspired me to cancel my membership

I also found I'm eligible for a 2 credit Audible trial, so there we go.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 12:43 PM   #56
Alohamora
Evangelist
Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Fire tablet, ios phone
I've subscribed to KU for a year or so now. I think it's been worth it, for the type of things I'm reading. I tried Scribd for 2 or 3 months and used it for audio books, but the clunky software constantly annoyed me and I gave up on it. (It worked OK when on wi-fi, but was unreliable for off-line listening). If I only read fiction, the local public library would be more than good enough, but they are light on the non-fiction categories I read.

I've found some real gems in KU. I've re-read books by just checking them out again, if they ever disappear from KU, I'll buy them outright, I just don't see re-reading as an issue. KU has also spared me from wasting money on some really awful drivel.
Alohamora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 09:09 AM   #57
Xianxia
Zealot
Xianxia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xianxia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xianxia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xianxia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xianxia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xianxia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xianxia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xianxia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xianxia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xianxia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xianxia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: phone
Will Kindle Unlimited get to 10 million paying subscribers in the next 5 years?

At $10 a month, that would generate $1.2 billion a year in revenue. Though right now, Amazon is most likely making a loss on Kindle Unlimited.
Xianxia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 08:48 PM   #58
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite (Don't use Nook anymore)
Scribd just got tons of sheet music. My kids, who both take piano lessons, should be able to take advantage of that.
NickyWithNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 09:44 PM   #59
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyWithNook View Post
Scribd just got tons of sheet music. My kids, who both take piano lessons, should be able to take advantage of that.
That's kind of cool!
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 12:22 AM   #60
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
I've subscribed to Scribd for about a year and a half. I have read well over 160 books from it in that time. I was upset about the romance disappearing from my library, but there is still a surprisingly good selection of nearly everything else. I've been reading more YA and SF/F from it. I don't listen to audiobooks but it seems as if they've gone to rationing the high value ones.

I signed up for a 3-month trial for Oyster then it folded, so I didn't bother to cancel; paid for 2 months at full price. They had a little more romance than Scribd at the time and the Lumin idea was neat but I prefer Scribd, honestly.

KU didn't appear to have enough books I was interested in that the other 2 didn't have to justify a subscription.
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote