Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 11-04-2012, 10:27 PM   #1
louwin
Newbie Nerd
louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 3 64Gb Black
Cannot update iOS on an iPad 2?

My eldest daughter has an iPad 1 and I had no trouble updating iOS's on that.

My second daughter has an iPad 2 on iOS 4.3.5 and no where in Settings can I see the option to update the iOS and I have really looked. Between us we have 4 iPhones too, all updated to iOS 6.0.1.

I also have an iPad 3 which I updated to iOS 6 and then to 6.0.1.

Why isn't the update option presented on the iPad 2? How can I update the iOS on it?

I tried (and gave up) to update to 5 and now to 6 but can't see how to do it?

louwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 01:55 AM   #2
Valkrider
Addict
Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, iPadAir2, PRS600, iPhone 6, iPod, Palm TX
You need to do it from within iTunes on your PC / Mac not direct from the device.
Valkrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-05-2012, 03:19 AM   #3
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkrider View Post
You need to do it from within iTunes on your PC / Mac not direct from the device.
This is right.

There was no update feature in iOS 4, that came in iOS 5.

You'll have to do some backing up as iOS 5/6 is a restore only update when coming from 4.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 07:02 AM   #4
louwin
Newbie Nerd
louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Wow! Shock! Horror!

Does this mean that all the purchased Apps will have to reloaded?

Does the update from iTunes of 4.3.5 to 6.0.1 clear the iPad 2?

My daughter has SO many Apps etc on her iPad and the thought terrifies me

I don't think the free 5Gb space on the Cloud will be enough to back up her iPad????

Can the backup be done to a hard drive? How secure is it? Her kids also use it hence the number of Apps (games)....

I'm terrified of her losing access to all her purchased Apps etc

Is there somewhere I can read up on the update process?

Old 11-05-2012, 07:43 AM   #5
kguil
Addict
kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Marvin for iOS
When you upgrade via iTunes, iTunes will take a backup (to your computer) first. When you update iOS you shouldn't lose any apps or settings you already have.
kguil is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-05-2012, 07:59 AM   #6
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
You can do the backup to a hard drive. Don't sweat too much over it, everything's going to be fine.

First, you'll want to open up iTunes and hook up the iPad. Look at the left column where your Library, Store, Playlists, etc tab and focus on DEVICES.

There will be an icon of an iPad next to whatever the name is. Right-click it and click Transfer Purchases. This will download everything from the iPad that has been purchased on both iTunes and the App Store and you'll be able to see it under the LIBRARY tab afterwards.

If you want to do a backup beforehand, just in case, after you plug it in, click its name, and you'll see a summary of the device and what it contains.

Scroll down, to where it says Backup, and click Back up to this computer, then hit Apply on the bottom right.

It's not going to let you update, although it'll be good just to click Check for Update just in case something has changed since then (I haven't done this in like two years now it seems ), otherwise you're going to want to click Restore.

This guide is for iOS 5, but it's pretty much the same for 6 too:
http://www.macworld.com/article/1162..._to_ios_5.html

If you're not sure, feel free to ask.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 04:48 AM   #7
louwin
Newbie Nerd

Thanks....

Am babysitting again on Thursday so will do it then....

Another day to panic