Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 12-20-2011, 09:47 PM   #1
49Kat
Fanatic
49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 9th Gen, iPhone 11, Paperwhite 10th Gen.
Firmware update/caution

Please read the other threads first before you go ahead and install this thing. Just saying...
49Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 10:16 PM   #2
jefftheworld
Groupie
jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Kobo, Kobo Vox
Dude, I understand that you're upset about this but it's not really a problem with the update, it's worked for everyone else I've interacted with. I work at a shop that sells them and I've updated many in the store - ours and customers - with no problems. I've personally done literally dozens of these updates now, not a single problem.

Clearly, something went wrong with your install, but it's a random unforeseen issue and not a lack of due diligence on the part of the Kobo team.

It could be something you had installed or something you did to your Vox before or during the install. It's really hard to tell without having the device plugged into my computer for analysis. Yes, I am saying it's possibly your fault. No, this is not a bad thing. If it was your fault it was certainly an accident, so don't be offended.

It could also be a hardware issue. It sounds like your battery is having issues and if the battery had issues during the install that would very easily explain the problems you're having. I'm assuming tech support has already had you attempt to re-seat your battery (if not, PM me and I can help you try that).

Really though, it could be a lot of things but I can assure you it's not an issue with the update itself. Saying that you're going to avoid future updates is like saying you're never getting a flu shot again because you got sick once after a flu shot.

Again, not trying to be rude but a lot of people have tried to politely help you out and I thought some blunt honesty might get your Vox fixed more quickly.
jefftheworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-20-2011, 10:24 PM   #3
49Kat
Fanatic
49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sent you a pm. I've got nothing to lose at this point anyway. Thanks.

P.S. Naw, you weren't rude.
Old 12-21-2011, 08:59 AM   #4
Dugger
Dugger began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo VOX
I wil agree with the poster here. I am currently on my 3rd Vox within the month, and my wifes Vox (which until this point was working flawlessly) won't charge since the new firmware update.

It's obviously a rare set of problems, but definately not isolated.

As the poster said, use caution when buying a Vox, and definately get the extended warrenty.
Dugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 09:20 AM   #5
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Actually, 49kat seems to have solved the problem with the battery, and when last seen was checking out the rest of the features after having successfully installed the update. I assume 49kat will revisit the various threads with earlier, less optimistic, posts and update.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-21-2011, 09:59 AM   #6
49Kat
Fanatic

try the update firmware app. It worked for me.
Old 12-21-2011, 10:11 AM   #7
oldyellr
Evangelist
oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kobo Vox, Amazon Fire 7
Yes, it's now obvious that 49Kat's disastrous update yesterday was due to the firmware update getting missed, for whatever reason. Glad that was discovered and rectified.

We can all check whether we have the latest build software (Build number: pegasus-eng2.3.3 GR140 eng. CAN.20111219.094110.40397 test-keys), but I don't see the firmware version number anywhere or how to check whether you have the latest. Is there a way? Some folks may be reluctant to just go ahead and hit the "update firmware" app for fear of breaking something and going from bad to worse. Does anyone know if you get a message telling you you're up-to-date (or not) when you run that app?
oldyellr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 10:20 AM   #8
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

In setting for the Kobo app (press menu from your library) there is a version number. I am showing 1.0.717 . If you hit the check for update menu item, in settings>About Kobo Reader, and there is no update, you get a message saying you are up to date.
Old 12-21-2011, 10:25 AM   #9
oldyellr
Evangelist
oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kobo Vox, Amazon Fire 7
Yes, I have 1.0.717 . So would that be the firmware for the Vox itself, or the version of the reader? I never paid attention to what that was before this update.
oldyellr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 10:34 AM   #10
taming
Trying for calm & polite

I don't think there is a firmware only version number. I may be wrong .
Old 12-21-2011, 10:56 AM   #11
hieronymos
Groupie
hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.

Device: Kobo Vox
I believe the firmware version is in settings - about - KBC version.
hieronymos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 11:51 AM   #12
taming
Trying for calm & polite

Quote:
Originally Posted by hieronymos View Post
I believe the firmware version is in settings - about - KBC version.
I believe you are right!
Old 12-21-2011, 12:46 PM   #13
hieronymos
Groupie
hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.

Device: Kobo Vox
And it should be 0x18 :-)
hieronymos is offline   Reply With Quote