Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-02-2011, 04:22 PM   #1
DonalDuck
The Changer
DonalDuck has learned how to read e-booksDonalDuck has learned how to read e-booksDonalDuck has learned how to read e-booksDonalDuck has learned how to read e-booksDonalDuck has learned how to read e-booksDonalDuck has learned how to read e-booksDonalDuck has learned how to read e-books

Device: None
Question Kindle Reflow

I'd like to know if there's any kindle hack that enables pdf reflow or something like that

Thanks,
DD
DonalDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 04:44 PM   #2
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonalDuck View Post
I'd like to know if there's any kindle hack that enables pdf reflow or something like that

Thanks,
DD
Use Duokan Lite or Duokan
thomass is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-02-2011, 04:56 PM   #3
DonalDuck
The Changer
DonalDuck has learned how to read e-booksDonalDuck has learned how to read e-booksDonalDuck has learned how to read e-booksDonalDuck has learned how to read e-booksDonalDuck has learned how to read e-booksDonalDuck has learned how to read e-booksDonalDuck has learned how to read e-books

Thanks. And what the best program to do it on pc? (not exactly reflow, but pdf (text based) to mobi)

Thanks,
DD
Old 10-02-2011, 05:01 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
If you want PDF reflow, would you not be better off getting a reading device which natively supports it, rather than having to use "hacks"?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 05:04 PM   #5
DonalDuck
The Changer

Thanks for your input, but, well, I want pdf reflow, but I also want a kindle. Can't be impossible, can it?
Advert
Old 10-02-2011, 05:25 PM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Have you tried reading a PDF document on a device that has reflow? It really doesn't work terribly well. Everything other than basic text disappears. Trying to read a PDF document that's formatted for a A4/Letter page on a 6" screen is an exercise in frustration all round. Take the advice of someone who's been in this game for a great many years, and don't even attempt it. If you want to read PDFs, get a device on which they can be read at the size they are intended for. 6" displays and A4 PDFs just don't play well together.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 05:41 PM   #7
DonalDuck
The Changer

Thanks for the advice, HarryT

DD
Old 10-02-2011, 05:54 PM   #8
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Amazon will attempt to do PDF to MOBI if you include "Convert" in the subject of the e-mail when you submit your personal document to "name"@free.kindle.com. The Windows MobiPocket Reader does a PDF to MOBI conversion similar to what you get from Amazon. Finally, Calibre can do PDF to MOBI and it allows you to specify and strip headers and footers.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 08:15 AM   #9
DonalDuck
The Changer

thank you very much wallcraft

DD
Old 10-06-2011, 02:18 PM   #10
bubnikv
bubnikv began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
I am using briss. It is an application written in Java. I am running it on Windows. It works pretty well for me. It allows for cropping the PDF or splitting a two column document into a single column, which is much easier to navigate with internal Kindle's PDF reader.
bubnikv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 05:43 PM   #11
DickeFix
Enthusiast
DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Kindle 3Wifi+3G and DX
Have you checked out k2pdfopt that converts complex pdf:s to a pdf suitable for Kindle. Works very well and I recommend it strongly!

No installation needed. Just drag the pdf file(s) that should be converted to the k2pdfopt.exe. The converted files comes in the same directory as original files but with _k2opt added to the filename. There are many options in the software but the default options work most often good enough for the 6-inch Kindle.

Last edited by DickeFix; 10-06-2011 at 05:51 PM.
DickeFix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 05:48 PM   #12
DonalDuck
The Changer

thank you all for your replies.
you're lifesavers!

DD
Old 04-17-2012, 06:14 AM   #13
thatworkshop
hub
thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3G, DXG, Kobo mini
I am trying hard to find a small linux command line tool that splits 2 column pdf into single column. I remember there was one mentioned here but can't find it! Does anyone know of such a tool? Ideally I want this tool to be on my Kindle, so I can convert pdfs on the device, so an open source project that can be/had been crosscompiled to ARM is what I need.
Any ideas folks?

P.S. I know about excellent programs like k2pdfopt, pdfsam, etc. but I want a smaller tool.
thatworkshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 11:32 PM   #14
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat
willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
cscat,

Cut2col (written in Java) and sopdf (written in either C or C++, I forget which, and uses the mupdf library) both do this using cropping directives in the PDF file. Sopdf doesn't seem to have been modified since 2008.

-willus
willus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 07:32 AM   #15
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by willus View Post
cscat,

Cut2col (written in Java) and sopdf (written in either C or C++, I forget which, and uses the mupdf library) both do this using cropping directives in the PDF file. Sopdf doesn't seem to have been modified since 2008.

-willus
@cscat: Are sopdf features complete enough for your purpose(s)?
Project home: http://code.google.com/p/sopdf/

@cscat: How small is "small"? This doesn't not look very "big" to me.
Source repo: http://code.google.com/p/sopdf/source/browse/

The posted code is GPLv3 - that should be suitable here.

The posted code is posted as a VC++ project - but;
the components appear to all be from the open source world (non-windows sources) ported to Win32 - so the format of the release as a project file should not be a show stopper. The original non-windows sources could be used.

The posted project only supports the Win32 platform -
Sometimes indicating that a major effort would be required to support a Linux platform (such as Kindle).
Here, the amount of the work in porting to the *nix platform should be reduced by the fact that the dependences are originally non-windows sources.
In addition, this is a command line tool - no Win32 GUI to be ported.

The limitations of the application are better described in the original M.R. thread than in the home page summary.
The only one that I see which might be limiting is the reformatting of comic books (which may have been fixed in the repository version).

I didn't notice any mention of text "re-flow" (this thread's topic) but I did not read the sources in detail.

My own "first guess": Could be ported to Linux/ARM
My first suggestion: Move this discussion to its own thread topic.

Last edited by knc1; 05-02-2012 at 07:43 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote