Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-14-2011, 12:31 PM   #1
metras3
metras3 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
how to server up ebooks on my web site

A little guidance please.
Being new in the forum I posted this in the new guy group.
I left the text below because it make things a little clearer.
What I want is to make newsletters available for users on my website on my server. I would like to make available what ever format they need.
I now how to convert from one format to another.
What I don't know is how to code the download to get all the pieces of the ebook. Meaning the cover picture, heading and the ePub file in one download with out using a Zipped file.
Is there a program or code to do this. Say PHP, script, program to run on my Linux server?
Can You help?
Marty

====================More Details ===========================
I want to publish newsletters from my web site for people to read or download for free if they want. Right now they are "PDF" files and Calibre converts them very easy to "epub" files.

Calibre will convert and upload the PDF files directly to my Nook Color (NC) while I am plugged into my PC and they have the cover and heading. That is fine for me but what about for others.

I see when a file is a few files. I know how to code HTML for a user to down load one files but I am not sure how to do it for the eBooks the need multiple files.

I know with a PDF file it is just a simple thing to open it and save it. That is fine for me but me but the look better in the eBook formats I have viewed.

This may be off topic for an intro group but it is what I am working.
Since I retired I keep dreaming to projects that could be done because I have more time than money.

So I want to have free newsletters or whatever in a format for the eReader that anyone could click on and download in to their device that is very easier for the user.
So can you tell me where to go? ...Wait maybe a link to more information would be nice.

Marty
metras3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 12:42 PM   #2
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Don't use PDF as your source file, it will introduce too many mistakes in your epub and mobi files. PDF should only ever be a destination file converted from something else.

Epub and mobi files already contain the cover and any other files they need to work. What you see in the Calibre directory with them is just for the use of Calibre.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-16-2011, 11:43 AM   #3
metras3
metras3 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
Thank you mr ploppy,
I think I was trying to make this to hard. Below I the procedure I just used thanks to you.
Create a Word document.
Save it as an HTML file.
Use Calibre to convert it to a ePub file and save it on the website.
Create a link to it.
Browse to it with my Nook Color and click on the link.
It is down loaded into "My Downloads" on the Nook Color
And that it!
This is 90% what I wanted to do.
Next step it to get it to show up in the main list with the color image. I think if I look in Nook's manual it will tell me how to get it into my "Books" folder and out of the "My Downloads" without hooking to the PC. Yes some times I forget to read the manuals.

The next project will to do this for the Kindle. I don't have one of them.

Thanks again Mr Ploppy!
Marty

Last edited by metras3; 01-16-2011 at 11:45 AM. Reason: Spelling and clearity
metras3 is offline   Reply With Quote