Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 02-01-2010, 07:25 PM   #151
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS650 View Post
I can understand some of the compaints directed at the iPad, such as the lack of multi-tasking, but I don't get the complaints about Flash. Does anyone actually do anything productive and useful with Flash? Seriously, the majority of the time it sure seems like Flash is used for animated ads or video plug-ins.

I don't miss Flash at all when surfing on my iPod.
Video sites like Hulu use flash. Though they could probably get around it by having a hulu app like they have a Youtube app.

That is my main want for it anyway, as watching TV shows etc. would be a big use of the iPad for me if I got one.

Plus some free flash games on line etc.--but of course that's why they don't have it as they want people to buy the games, apps etc. and not use them for free on websites with Flash.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 08:27 AM   #152
LS650
Enthusiast
LS650 is on a distinguished road

Device: Android, Jetbook Lite
Hmmm.
I didn't write this but it sums up perfectly how I feel about the use of Flash on web pages: http://members.shaw.ca/climber/moi.html

"I do hereby give you my solemn promise that my web pages will never be burdened with any of the banes of enjoyable web surfing: javascript, java, noises, animated gifs or, most importantly, MACROMEDIA FLASH; the most annoying technology the human race has ever come up with.

I really hope humanity will come to its senses and eliminate flash from our world before we encounter any alien civilizations. Any critters advanced enough to fly between worlds would take one look and blow us to hell. I guess the end of our race would unfold like this (imagine the voice of Futurama's Lrrr from Omicron Persei 8):

"Hmmmm, these humans have a rich and diverse culture so perhaps they are worth contacting. Their widespread use of their 'Internet' also speaks well of their desire to disseminate knowledge.

"Wait. This web page has moving and jiggly things on it and I can't make them stop! THIS CONFUSES AND INFURIATES ME! DESTROY THE HUMANS IMMEDIATELY!!!"

ZAAAAAAPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!

Fortunately a couple of years back I discovered how to permanently disable flash in my browsers without it constantly prompting me to download the plugin. GLORIOUS!!!"
LS650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 10:06 AM   #153
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
While flash is annoying and at times buggy that doesn't change the fact that it is widely used and HTML5 is not in a position to change that fact at this time.

On the subject of battery life, the 10 hours figure was actually given by Steve Jobs for ebooks, so people should bank on getting more than that from it.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 10:25 AM   #154
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilHare View Post
Apparently Steve Jobs have been telling the faithful about Flash, his way: http://www.smh.com.au/digital-life/c...0201-n86t.html
Flash apparently shows up how unstable Apple's equipment really is.
- Presumably this will affect other Adobe apps being adopted, e.g. Adobe AIR and Adobe Digital Editions.
What do ya expect a Red Green "Duct Tape Special"...

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=124
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 04:13 PM   #155
Krystian Galaj
Guru
Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Bookeen Cybook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowl View Post
On the subject of battery life, the 10 hours figure was actually given by Steve Jobs for ebooks, so people should bank on getting more than that from it.
On iPad's tech specs page ( http://www.apple.com/ipad/specs/ ) they say:

# Built-in 25-watt-hour rechargeable lithium-polymer battery
# Up to 10 hours of surfing the web on Wi-Fi, watching video, or listening to music

so it may be more for ebooks.
Krystian Galaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 11:20 PM   #156
LS650
Enthusiast
LS650 is on a distinguished road

Device: Android, Jetbook Lite
Sounds great to me!
LS650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 01:25 AM   #157
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krystian Galaj View Post
On iPad's tech specs page ( http://www.apple.com/ipad/specs/ ) they say:

# Built-in 25-watt-hour rechargeable lithium-polymer battery
# Up to 10 hours of surfing the web on Wi-Fi, watching video, or listening to music

so it may be more for ebooks.
I have seen the specs and was simply repeating the quote from Steve Jobs during the launch, also those figures on the apple site seem somewhat dubious as can anyone name a single portable device that can play video for as long as it can play music?

Until we see some actual reviews it seems sensible to assume 10hours for ebooks.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 10:21 AM   #158
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowl View Post
I have seen the specs and was simply repeating the quote from Steve Jobs during the launch, also those figures on the apple site seem somewhat dubious as can anyone name a single portable device that can play video for as long as it can play music?

Until we see some actual reviews it seems sensible to assume 10hours for ebooks.
It seems even safer to assume 10 hours of surfing the web on Wi-Fi, watching video, or listening to music!

And therefore 10 hours+ for reading with wifi/bluetooth off.
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 07:43 PM   #159
HarryO53
Enthusiast
HarryO53 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: iPod Touch
After years of working with windows and most hardware and software associated with it, I went Apple because of frustration with the machine. I do believe that the iPad will follow the path of quality, reliability and performance that they have delivered in nearly every product they've produced within the last 8 years or so, (since I've actually owned one.).

I will definately be doing a hands-on with it at the Apple store when available. If it's anything like the iPod Touch is for running apps, I will go for it. It looks to be a great ebook reader as well. I use the Touch for that now. I think that the iPad will take what Apple's started with the iPhone OS, and expand it, nicely.
HarryO53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 12:15 AM   #160
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by stustaff View Post
It seems even safer to assume 10 hours of surfing the web on Wi-Fi, watching video, or listening to music!

And therefore 10 hours+ for reading with wifi/bluetooth off.
Jobs claimed he could fly from San Francisco to Tokyo, and watch video the whole way...I'm going to take that challenge when on my next trip to Japan..and if the iPad dies somewhere around the Aleutian Islands, I'm going to be pretty pissed

Then again, I won't be flying in his Jetstream.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote