Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 01-17-2017, 05:00 AM   #1
bebych
bebych began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
EPUB to PDF: too big size

Dear Calibrers,

perhaps it is a common question but I didnt find any answer. When I convert my EPUB to PDF it longs for 20 minutes and the result PDF is 200 MB size. The text in the PDF is not a text, but an image. I cant find the right button in the EPUB to PDF conversion dialog window, could you help me? Thank you!

Part of the EPUB file
https://yadi.sk/i/nZJEECPd39RNBv
PDF from this part
https://yadi.sk/i/H8tlyOFS39RNSV
bebych is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 06:46 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You need to set the page size, see first sentence here: https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/con...verting-to-pdf
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 07:25 AM   #3
bebych

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
You need to set the page size, see first sentence here: https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/con...verting-to-pdf
thank you! I always set it to A4. But the problem appears only with this book.

PS Thank you for your great work!

Last edited by bebych; 01-17-2017 at 07:32 AM.
Old 01-17-2017, 07:34 AM   #4
bebych

I found that text as picture starts from page 4. Normal text is on 2nd and 3rd pages.
Old 01-17-2017, 07:43 AM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I tried converting your epub file and I can see no text as images, see attached.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf t.pdf (382.8 KB, 346 views)
Old 01-17-2017, 07:56 AM   #6
bebych

Quote:
I tried converting your epub file and I can see no text as images, see attached.
Great, I've checked it! Wondering what I could do wrong, please check my screen recording
https://youtu.be/rWEJi5hzJbs

The result PDF
https://yadi.sk/i/H8tlyOFS39RNSV

Last edited by bebych; 01-17-2017 at 08:00 AM.
Old 01-17-2017, 08:05 AM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

It's probale that your system has no font capable of rendering the Cyrillic characters in TTF format, so the conversion ends up rendering them as outlines. Install some such font and change the font references in the epub to refer to that font and you should be fine.
Old 01-17-2017, 08:16 AM   #8
bebych

Quote:
It's probale that your system has no font capable of rendering the Cyrillic characters in TTF format, so the conversion ends up rendering them as outlines. Install some such font and change the font references in the epub to refer to that font and you should be fine.
Great, thank you, I will try!
Old 01-18-2017, 08:44 AM   #9
bebych

Thank you, the problem is solved.

Tags
epub, pdf