Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 11-22-2013, 11:56 AM   #18181
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
It was fun. Fairly obvious where things were going, but the journey was really the point.

Next up: The Long Earth by Stephen Baxter and Terry Pratchett.
Well, most Heyer's you know where everything is going from the first page or two. As you say, it's not the end point, but the journey. And all the fun along the way. You've reminded me that I need to read a Heyer -- it's been awhile.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 12:37 PM   #18182
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post

Next is The Final Descent by Rick Yancey.
As the final installment, its conclusion is a major disappointment to me. The weakest and most erratic of the series. The story went from a Gothic YA to a psychological essay about the inherent evil we all are born with. You doubt everything from the previous books. Nothing is certain. Also, felt rushed to meet a deadline. The first book was the best. Rated C- [3 stars].

Next read TBD.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 12:48 PM   #18183
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
As the final installment, its conclusion is a major disappointment to me. The weakest and most erratic of the series. The story went from a Gothic YA to a psychological essay about the inherent evil we all are born with. You doubt everything from the previous books. Nothing is certain. Also, felt rushed to meet a deadline. The first book was the best. Rated C- [3 stars].

Next read TBD.
I have the first book in the series on my wish list.

Have you read The 5th Wave (by the same author)?
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 01:10 PM   #18184
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazella View Post

Not yet, but I do have it.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 01:19 PM   #18185
Crusader
Space Cadet
Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Cybook Opus, Kobo Glo
Quote:

I had some issues with The 5th Wave. An enjoyable enough read, but targeted more at people with not much SF experience otherwise the plot holes will irk the heck out of you.
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 01:35 PM   #18186
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by BelleZora View Post
Dr. Drib, October Light has been on my TBR list for too long. Please let us know what you think about it.

Sure will.

I'm a big fan of his work, but I've only read about 3 of his books.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 01:57 PM   #18187
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
I had some issues with The 5th Wave. An enjoyable enough read, but targeted more at people with not much SF experience otherwise the plot holes will irk the heck out of you.
So will you continue with the series when the next book comes out?
Old 11-22-2013, 02:08 PM   #18188
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool J.R. Rain & Joseph Flynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
I finished re-reading Cold Days which also completed my annual The Dresden Files re-read! As always, I really enjoyed the re-read!

Next I'm taking a shot at reading a new (to me) author, J.R. Rain. A couple of weeks ago his newest release was on special in the Kindle store and the price was $0.00. It's up to $4.99 right now and it's on pre-order till December 1st! It's a mystery and is called, Silent Echo.
After completing Silent Echo I decided that I quite liked J.R. Rain's writing style. So I grabbed up a copy of the first book in a series of his named 'Vampire for Hire'! The book is titled Moon Dance and is of the genre, Urban Fantasy, which I've become fascinated with in the last few years. Samantha Moon is a wife, a mother of two, and is a PI. She is also a vampire!! I'm 3/4 of the way through it and have decided to TBR the rest of the series!

I got a freebie from Amazon this morning and have decided to make it my next novel to read. It's in a sub-genre in which I've read quite a bit over the last few years. Native American cops and PI's. The book is called Tall Man in Ray-Bans (John Tall Wolf #1) by Joseph Flynn.

alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 02:31 PM   #18189
Crusader
Space Cadet
Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Cybook Opus, Kobo Glo
Quote:
So will you continue with the series when the next book comes out?
It's definitely not a priority, but I might if I manage to get my hands on a copy. It's somewhat of a morbid curiosity to see where he takes the story.
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 05:21 AM   #18190
Gazella
Wizard

Quote:
Currently reading Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card.
I'm 40% in and I just can't get into it. Not sure I'll continue reading it, I might read two more chapters to decide for sure, although I doubt I'll read more of the book.
Old 11-24-2013, 10:25 AM   #18191
Gazella
Wizard

Quote:
Currently reading Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card.
Quote:
I'm 40% in and I just can't get into it. Not sure I'll continue reading it, I might read two more chapters to decide for sure, although I doubt I'll read more of the book.
I gave up on this book and started A.G. Riddle's The Atlantis Gene. Fantastic so far. It's the first book in The Origin Mystery.
Old 11-24-2013, 10:35 AM   #18192
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara 2E
Quote:
I gave up on this book and started A.G. Riddle's The Atlantis Gene. Fantastic so far. It's the first book in The Origin Mystery.
I noticed the second book, The Atlantis Plague is out now. I'm going to hold off buying it until I actually read the first one! Might be soon.
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 10:43 AM   #18193
Gazella
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleStar View Post
I noticed the second book, The Atlantis Plague is out now. I'm going to hold off buying it until I actually read the first one! Might be soon.
I found out yesterday through the author's website. I had no idea it was out. It's great as I won't have to wait, I can read the second one right after I finish the first book
Old 11-25-2013, 09:33 PM   #18194
cvergz828
cvergz828 shares his or her toyscvergz828 shares his or her toyscvergz828 shares his or her toyscvergz828 shares his or her toyscvergz828 shares his or her toyscvergz828 shares his or her toyscvergz828 shares his or her toyscvergz828 shares his or her toyscvergz828 shares his or her toyscvergz828 shares his or her toyscvergz828 shares his or her toys

Device: Kobo Arc 7
Currently reading: "Iron Butterfly" by Chanda Hahn. It's about a girl who was being used as an experiment, and was able to escape to find her freedom. She became a servant, and later finds out that the captors that were using her as an experiment found here whereabouts. I didn't get very far yet in the book, but I'm hoping to find what she would do to get away.
cvergz828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 09:42 PM   #18195
Geralt
Witcher
Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Reading Discworld #1, The Color of Magic. Some 10% in, and Pratchett has crammed so much stuff in here, it's hard to follow what the hell is going on. Hope he eases up on that further along, and just tells the story and let the details fall into place on their own.
It is funny/amusing though
Geralt is offline   Reply With Quote