Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-25-2013, 09:17 AM   #31
sbwtxj
Groupie
sbwtxj is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.sbwtxj is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.sbwtxj is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.sbwtxj is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.sbwtxj is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.sbwtxj is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.sbwtxj is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.sbwtxj is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.sbwtxj is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.sbwtxj is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.sbwtxj is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: kindle keyboard,kindle touch,PB touch lux
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattW View Post
I bought the T3 on a whim. And all the bad things that are being said about it are obviously true: it's basically last year's e-reader that costs too much. And if the no-front light thing is a deal-breaker for you, nothing I will say will change your mind.

But I think there's an argument that can be made why the Sony PRS-T3 is a truly great e-reader. And it goes something like this: to a lot of people (not the majority here on Mobileread, of course), e-readers are a consumer product like DVD players or cheap compact cameras with the difference being that they're used to read ebooks. If we step back from the "new features every year" mentality that plagues smartphones, tablets and PCs, and look at how well the T3 does at its core functionality, we have to admit that it does a pretty amazing job.

Its software is stable, (almost) bug-free and does not intrude on the reading experience at all; the screen is as crisp as it ever was (while higher definition might sound good, it wouldn't really improve your reading experience), you can buy your books from various sources, you can access library books and you can even buy books on the device itself. Granted, nothing that the T2 didn't do as well, but this year's model is even smaller while leaving the screen size intact and has an integrated cover to boot.

Now, the light issue I can understand to some extent, although it's not that important to me personally. While I enjoy my Paperwhite, to me, my Sony readers have always felt more like a book. The Kindle is always a gadget, its glowing screen is a constant reminder that it's just that; with a pure eInk display I find that I often forget if I've read a book a pbook or as an ebook. This never happens to me on the Kindle Paperwhite.

So if you, like most people here, look at the T3 from a feature and technology-perspective, it's not much of a step forward. If you look at it from a "reading books" perspective, it's as unobstrusive and simple as can be; it's designed as lightweight and user-friendly as one could hope for -- (p)books themselves haven't changed that much in the last decades or even centuries.

To me, the perfect e-reader would be one that's like a piece of paper (with a cover), combining all that's good about pbooks (readability) with the storage and ease of use of ebooks. In that sense, I find that I enjoy reading on my T3 (or T2) more than on the Kindle Paperwhite (or the Cybook HD I bought my mom for last Christmas), because they come closer to that ideal.

Now, I agree that it's too expensive and that there's no need to upgrade from a T2. All I'm saying is that I believe that Sony are actually doing something right here (if you ask me, even by omitting the front-light) and it's a shame that their design philosophy is giving way to a market that basically wants tablets.

Matt

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!
T3 design let us completely focused in the process of reading. Accord with human body engineering. More like a book!
sbwtxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 10:50 PM   #32
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
I bet that front-light gives more pleasant reading illumination than an integrated front light.

Sexy device. The T2 screen pops. Better than the T1.

The big disadvantage for me is that the UI is probably limited. No Prs+ for the T3, not even rooting and Coolreader. Stuck with standard Sony UI which works well and is stable, but always lacks enough features for me.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 05:49 AM   #33
alvina
Connoisseur
alvina is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.alvina is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.alvina is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.alvina is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.alvina is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.alvina is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.alvina is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.alvina is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.alvina is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.alvina is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.alvina is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
I think you'll get the most pleasant reading if you use your Sony Reader in sunlight, just like you use a book. The sun illuminates the world, not an LED lamp. Yes, I think the Sony Reader is the most awesome and best designed Reader in the current generation, too. It's simply a pleasure to read my books with it.
alvina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 08:33 AM   #34
sbwtxj
Groupie
sbwtxj is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.sbwtxj is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.sbwtxj is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.sbwtxj is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.sbwtxj is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.sbwtxj is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.sbwtxj is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.sbwtxj is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.sbwtxj is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.sbwtxj is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.sbwtxj is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

good view! follow you !!
Old 10-26-2013, 09:59 AM   #35
alvina
Connoisseur
alvina is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.alvina is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.alvina is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.alvina is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.alvina is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.alvina is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.alvina is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.alvina is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.alvina is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.alvina is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.alvina is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Thank you.
alvina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 03:02 PM   #36
sayhello
Addict
sayhello has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sayhello has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sayhello has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sayhello has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505 (Blue!), PRS-650 (Black), iPad, iPod Touch
Sigh. I was "upgraded" from a PRS-505 to a refurbed PRS-650 when Sony was unable to replace the dead battery on the 505. I was perfectly happy with the 505, but the 650 *was* a nice upgrade (I'm really used to the touch screen UI now). But now I'm worried what will happen when the 650 dies. I like an eReader that is an eReader. I *love* eInk. Now I'm tempted to run out & buy a T2 so that I can have it for when the 650 dies. But I kinda want the integrated case (T2 won't fit in my 650's case).

I have no interest in an eReader that is not eInk. I don't need it to do all sorts of other things besides be an eReader (I finally upgraded to a smartphone to get those functions, and I find most of those useless enough). I've tried reading on my iPad, and I just can't do it.

ACK! Why is Sony doing this???

Sayhello
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 04:24 PM   #37
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattW View Post
to a lot of people (not the majority here on Mobileread, of course), e-readers are a consumer product like DVD players or cheap compact cameras with the difference being that they're used to read ebooks. If we step back from the "new features every year" mentality that plagues smartphones, tablets and PCs, and look at how well the T3 does at its core functionality, we have to admit that it does a pretty amazing job.
This is great observation.
I had a chance to try out T2, and I was unimpressed - I am used to a different device and its capabilities. I was also annoyed at how aggressively Sony fights all rooting attempts and how thoroughly they patch holes. 505 was a dream device, because it was hacked and Russian hackers had added lots of functionality. With the Android, the potential is there, but ... <sigh>

I would be absolutely happy if my preferred manufacturer released their model from 2009. I loved the software and I loved the hardware form-factor with its integrated cover even more. The only thing I would add is a front-light. This would be absolutely perfect.
I can't understand why on Earth nobody except Sony manufactures device with integrated cover attachment system anymore. Why do we need to use covers that utilize rubber bands (!?!) to hold devices in unwieldy covers that double the thickness and weight of newer generation of devices?

At this moment I have device that is four years newer than version I have described at the beginning of this post and while they added some interesting software features, they managed to screw the basic functionality (formatting of the epub) a little bit. And the hardware form-factor is FAR from ideal (you have to use rubber bands or similar system to put it into a cover).

My very first reader was SONY PRS-500 and I loved that device and its system for attaching the cover (very similar to recent system, I think).
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 10:13 AM   #38
medard
Wizard
medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Electronic Paper
Usually people don't buy an Ebook Reader to be impressed or to root it. People buy an Ebook Reader to read some Epub files they get from their local library system (Overdrive, Onleihe, and so forth) and from free resources like Mobileread, for example.

If the Reader is able to do this, that's enough. The Sony Reader is able to do this, it does a good job.

It would be really not that great for library systems and the idea of digital educational systems in general if the Sony Reader would be discontinued. If I'm correct, Sony brought up this digital library systems entirely.

I'm quite unsure what to do now. Maybe I'm going to buy as much T2s and T3s as I can get in the coming months.
medard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 11:39 AM   #39
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by medard View Post
Usually people don't buy an Ebook Reader to be impressed or to root it. People buy an Ebook Reader to read some Epub files they get from their local library system (Overdrive, Onleihe, and so forth) and from free resources like Mobileread, for example.

If the Reader is able to do this, that's enough. The Sony Reader is able to do this, it does a good job.

It would be really not that great for library systems and the idea of digital educational systems in general if the Sony Reader would be discontinued. If I'm correct, Sony brought up this digital library systems entirely.

I'm quite unsure what to do now. Maybe I'm going to buy as much T2s and T3s as I can get in the coming months.
I don't think Sony has an exclusive on the library. I think that they decided to use Adobe DRM and abandon their own. I think other manufacturers could do this if they wish (use adobe software to download the books from the library) but they don't want to. So you are probably correct that Sony will remain exclusive for direct library borrowing for a while whether they bought any exclusive rights or not.

I'm fine with sideloading, but I still prefer Sony so far just because it behaves nicer.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 01:43 PM   #40
medard
Wizard
medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Electronic Paper

Quote:
On Tuesday, August 25th, Sony held a press conference at the main branch of the New York Public Library. The event was held in the Trustees Room, a room on the second floor with a marble fireplace, wood paneling, and and tapestries symbolizing the major continents hanging down along the side and back walls. Above the fireplace was a marble plaque engraved with a quote from Thomas Jefferson: "I look to the diffusion of light and education as the resource most to be relied on for ameliorating the conditions, promoting the virtue and advancing the happiness of man."
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54642

This is not not exclusive, of course. But I don't think that we would have Digital Library Systems in the U.S. and in Europe without Sony.

That has not much to do with the T3 now, but I think it points to the direction where Sony hat it's focus, while others had their own closed shopping environment for digital distribution of videogames, movies and applications in mind.
medard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 05:08 AM   #41
sbwtxj
Groupie

I still always thought SONY T3 is design excellent e-book reader.
Portable and convenient manipulation (page turn key).
Touch screen page does not use the TAP and use swip way is a concept of human body engineering design.
Although less supported file formats, not read simple TXT, mobi and Chinese character set files.
-------From the standpoint of reading, it is very good. With the kindle and kobo is two kinds of style.
JUST LIKE A BOOK!
Old 11-20-2013, 03:30 PM   #42
Lennier
Lennier doesn't litterLennier doesn't litter

Device: None
I'm a T3 convert

After giving up on the Kobo Aura I purchased a Sony PRS T3. It has no internal light, it's not as stylish, it's slower to start up and shut down and generally it's not as slick as the Kobo Aura. But it is well made and free of the annoying quality control screen issues that seemed to plague all 3 of the Kobo Aura's I had during the space of a month and I'm liking it a lot.

I'm not missing the Kobo's internal light and I'm finding the buttons in addition to the touch screen rather handy. It's small, the landscape/portrait option is great as is the cropping option to get rid of overlarge margins (better than the Kobo as you have more control), the screen is a lot whiter and clearer, and the sleep cover is free (although only really protects the screen and not the back of the ereader) and the ease with which you can fold the cover back on itself makes it feel more like a book than the Kobo's own pricey sleep cover.

I had one minor issue trying to download books direct to it from the Reader Store (finally figured out I hadn't set it up correctly by downloading the software using the file on the ereader itself - my own fault for not reading the instructions) but otherwise it has been problem free since I purchased it last week direct from Sony. The Kobo Aura was the first ereader I'd purchased and it was almost the last. But the T3 has converted me.
Lennier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 04:00 PM   #43
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Just bought a T3 this morning. This will be my 4th Sony reader. I am delighted with it.

Not a lot different than the T1 software wise as far as I can see. Smaller, lighter and I like the feel of the back better than my other Sony's or the Aura HD.

Less than an hour after bringing it home I had put 2,000 books on it and commenced to read one. No noticeable lags or undocumented features so far. Fast to index the books and opens the Collections list in 2-3 seconds.

Slightly more flash when turning page if there is graphic on the previous page. but still very smooth. Excellent hyphenation, not that I care that much.

I got the one without a cover for $99 as I may want the lighted cover.

It is just so very nice.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 01:37 PM   #44
radius
Lector minore
radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura One, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e, Google Pixel Slate
Can someone tell me if the T3 still uses the same power connector as the PRS-505? That's another reason I like Sony's reader. I feel like the power connector is much more robust than USB and you don't have to care what direction you plug it in etc. I also reduces the number of plug/unplug cycles on the USB port and hopefully prolongs its life.

Oh, and can I still use the trick of specifying fonts in a directory on the device instead of including them directly in the epub?
radius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 01:42 PM   #45
rjcroy
Bibliophile
rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kobo Touch
The T3 uses a USB Micro B port for c
harging and data transfer.
rjcroy is offline   Reply With Quote