Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-24-2013, 02:05 PM   #16
ndriver
ndriver knows the square root of minus one.ndriver knows the square root of minus one.ndriver knows the square root of minus one.ndriver knows the square root of minus one.ndriver knows the square root of minus one.ndriver knows the square root of minus one.ndriver knows the square root of minus one.ndriver knows the square root of minus one.ndriver knows the square root of minus one.ndriver knows the square root of minus one.ndriver knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Kobo Glo; Kobo AuraHD; Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
Unfortunately, that only works for epubs and not kepubs.
And since we are discussing the conversion of epubs into kepubs to get the additional features, the conversion back to epubs, well...is not the solution of the problem.

I just hope Kobo corrects this in one the next firmware upgrades.
ndriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 03:42 PM   #17
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
although I don't think this would apply to kepubs, which is what is needed to have the reading statistics (as far as I understand, the fix was done hacking a previous version of the EPUB renderer before the introduction of the title top line - but the kepub.epub extension will activate the kepub renderer, which had the title line before...).
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 03:59 PM   #18
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by paola View Post
although I don't think this would apply to kepubs, which is what is needed to have the reading statistics (as far as I understand, the fix was done hacking a previous version of the EPUB renderer before the introduction of the title top line - but the kepub.epub extension will activate the kepub renderer, which had the title line before...).
Sorry -- it appears I failed Comprehension 101. Of course, I was thinking epub.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 03:20 AM   #19
cinetici
cinetici began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Comparison of Low Bars and Navigation: EPUB X converted KEPUB

I began this topic in order to find out a way of being able to enable Reading Statistics, officially only available for Kepub files. I still find my self very far from satisfying results. After using Calibre and its Extended Kobo plugin with all others plugins disabled as instructions provided. It didnt turn out as well as I hoped it would.

The unsatisfying result: even though the readings statistics feature becomes available on the converted kepub files, the feature comes at a price I'm not sure is worth paying: Previously the epub presented the low bar showing a number of book pages you read out of total book pages. On the kepub however there is only a number of pages read within the total of current chapter pages. You can't know which actual book page you're navigating and you cannot skip to a specific page, now you have to navigate within the chapter pages so at the beginning of the next chapter you are on PAGE 1 again. Confusing?
Let me illustrate the matter to make things clearer:

ISSUE 1: number of book pages read/ total of book pages gets exchanged by the total number of pages of the chapter itself. ( you'll never have a clue if you are in the middle or at the end of your book on the kepub unless your book in rendered as a whole long solo chapter, which is not the case for the 9 out of 10 books that I tested)

BOOK 1 EPUB low bar example:
Spoiler:

BOOK 1 KEPUB low bar example:
Spoiler:

And this is how Navigation from page to page looks like:

Navigating on epub I'm able to select any specific page from the whole book:
Spoiler:

Navigating on kepub I can only select a certain page within the chapter, so in this case, if I was on page 9 on the epub now I am on page 23 out of a total of 27 pages this chapter has. How can i go to the actual page X of a book? I can't. What if the kepub generated different chapters each 5 pages on a book of 600 pages, how can you navigate through it? Impossible! How messed up is that? Example:
Spoiler:

The following four images present the same observations placed in the same order featuring a second book as an example:
Book 2 low bar Epub:
Spoiler:

Book 2 low bar Kepub:
Spoiler:

Book 2 navigation Epub:
Spoiler:

Book 2 navigation on Kepub:
Spoiler:

Hope you are able to see what I am struggling here so we can get a solution or closer to one. As of now I dont feel really glad of having the new features (reading stats) in spite of very crucial ones to me such as page numbers and proper page navigation. I wouldnt mind my proper whereabouts on a 60 page book but in such short books I wouldnt care less about readings statistics. And I feel desperate to see myself in the middle of a 500 page book, and on the low bar the display showing the chapter info something like page 4 out 17 or something useless like that.

Last edited by pdurrant; 05-25-2013 at 05:20 AM. Reason: Putting too-large images in spoilers
cinetici is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 06:40 AM   #20
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinetici View Post
Hope you are able to see what I am struggling here so we can get a solution or closer to one. As of now I dont feel really glad of having the new features (reading stats) in spite of very crucial ones to me such as page numbers and proper page navigation. I wouldnt mind my proper whereabouts on a 60 page book but in such short books I wouldnt care less about readings statistics. And I feel desperate to see myself in the middle of a 500 page book, and on the low bar the display showing the chapter info something like page 4 out 17 or something useless like that.
not a solution, BUT to find out where you are in a kepub, if you tap the centre of the screen you will see the percentage of the book (not chapter) that you have read. Tap that, and you will see the chapters (as little bars), plus indication of time to end of chapter, time to end of book, reading time of next chapter.

Agreed, this is not what you (or I!) want, and especially you cannot go to page X. A workaround is to either search for a word in the book, if you remember what was in the page you wanted; or use bookmarks when you find a place you think you'll want to get back to. But again, these are just workarounds, and we don't get the functions you want.

The issue is that I think we on MR are not representative of the majority of readers, who may be even overwhelmed by too many features. Extolling the virtues of my completely customizable, function super rich Pocketbook generally only elicits blank stares, and my mum and dad found them so unintuitive that in the end they never used them!
Old 05-25-2013, 09:32 PM   #21
cinetici
cinetici began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by paola View Post
not a solution, BUT to find out where you are in a kepub, if you tap the centre of the screen you will see the percentage of the book (not chapter) that you have read. Tap that, and you will see the chapters (as little bars), plus indication of time to end of chapter, time to end of book, reading time of next chapter.

Agreed, this is not what you (or I!) want, and especially you cannot go to page X. A workaround is to either search for a word in the book, if you remember what was in the page you wanted; or use bookmarks when you find a place you think you'll want to get back to. But again, these are just workarounds, and we don't get the functions you want.

The issue is that I think we on MR are not representative of the majority of readers, who may be even overwhelmed by too many features. Extolling the virtues of my completely customizable, function super rich Pocketbook generally only elicits blank stares, and my mum and dad found them so unintuitive that in the end they never used them!
Thanks for the input. Interesting perspective Paola. I couldnt realize it ( before your post because you see, the kobo glo is my first reader and it is not even a week old. I didnt know I was being too demanding, I thought I was asking for the most basic necessary features

I looked up for the ereader you mentioned, it seems something really above and beyond, astonishing! Too bad the price is also very intimidating

Paola, do you think this page display issue is something that will ever be solved? Do you know if other rival ereaders like Kindle Paperwhite face the same problem? just out of curiosity

PS: forgot to comment your first paragraph. I know what you mean about navigating but I often find my kepubs being segregated into hundreds of small chapters instead of real authentic chapters, that maked navigating them even more difficult

Last edited by cinetici; 05-25-2013 at 09:36 PM. Reason: writing PS
cinetici is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 05:39 AM   #22
paola
Wizard

Quote:
Thanks for the input. Interesting perspective Paola. I couldnt realize it ( before your post because you see, the kobo glo is my first reader and it is not even a week old. I didnt know I was being too demanding, I thought I was asking for the most basic necessary features

I looked up for the ereader you mentioned, it seems something really above and beyond, astonishing! Too bad the price is also very intimidating

Paola, do you think this page display issue is something that will ever be solved? Do you know if other rival ereaders like Kindle Paperwhite face the same problem? just out of curiosity

PS: forgot to comment your first paragraph. I know what you mean about navigating but I often find my kepubs being segregated into hundreds of small chapters instead of real authentic chapters, that maked navigating them even more difficult
as I just wrote in another thread, it may be an idea to post the request here:
https://getsatisfaction.com/kobo/ideas/popular
and then link back to it into the MR forum, so that more people will support it - I get the feeling that with around 40 "+1" Kobo starts to take an interest. the problem is that over there it can take years for an idea to get this level of support. Wiht stong feelings in this forum, however, things shouldl move much more quickkly. Just a thought.
Old 05-27-2013, 01:50 AM   #23
Nothingness
Zealot
Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura H2O Limited Edition
Thank you cinetici for all those pictures! I just installed the KoboTouchExtended plugin, but after seeing such fundamental features disappearing with the epubs being converted into kepups, I've instantly disabled this KoboTouchExtended plugin and do not plan to use it anymore. Reading statistics are not worth it if they make disappear fundamental reading features.
Nothingness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 07:43 AM   #24
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:

That isn't the kepub causing those breaks, that is the formatting in the document.

I just had one like that and tried to fix it in Calibre with the Sigil plugin, and it STILL wouldn't come out right. But I know it was the document itself, not the kepub plugin.

I always make sure my TOC works before loading the book. Then if I need to navigate, I can easily go between chapters (except when there are false chapter marks inside the coding, as was the case with the document I mentioned).

I continue to use the kepub plugin because I like the stats that tell me how long til the end of the chapter/end of the book. I am obsessive about it.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote