Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-29-2008, 10:58 AM   #1
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
Buying ebooks direct from harpercollins confusion

Ok noticed Star Strike by Ian dDouglas is available as an ebook from harpercollins! Great!

I thought but now not sure.

on this link http://www.harpercollins.com/books/9...ogy/index.aspx
you can see that they say its available for the sony reader but click on the sony option and nothing happens? I can then only see it available to buy in PDF, mobipocket and ereader formats none of which will work on the sony.

So whats going on? am I missing something obvious?
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 11:08 AM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
If it's available in Sony format, then you have to buy it from Sony.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 11:56 AM   #3
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

so why have a link to click on that then takes you to a page where you can buy it in PDF,mobi and ereader? Its unnecessarily confusing!
Old 01-29-2008, 12:51 PM   #4
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
I agree. The likely cause is the marginally competence of whoever is running the website.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 02:13 PM   #5
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
[delete]

Last edited by pilotbob; 01-29-2008 at 02:16 PM.
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 02:21 PM   #6
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by stustaff View Post
so why have a link to click on that then takes you to a page where you can buy it in PDF,mobi and ereader? Its unnecessarily confusing!
It does get confusing. Somewhere on the site it does mention that books are available in Sony format, but those books are for sale from Sony & not directly from the publisher.

Just like pretty much every other publisher their site really could use some work.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 05:19 PM   #7
stustaff
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
It does get confusing. Somewhere on the site it does mention that books are available in Sony format, but those books are for sale from Sony & not directly from the publisher.

Just like pretty much every other publisher their site really could use some work.
I even read their entire FAQ and no info on there either.
Old 01-29-2008, 06:59 PM   #8
monkeywrench
Connoisseur
monkeywrench began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4, Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by stustaff View Post
Oyou can see that they say its available for the sony reader but click on the sony option and nothing happens? I can then only see it available to buy in PDF, mobipocket and ereader formats none of which will work on the sony.

So whats going on? am I missing something obvious?
I noticed this same thing several months back when I was looking for "The Last Season" by Eric Blehm. They had the link there for Sony Reader but the book wasn't available on Connect. I emailed them and asked if the book would be available in Sony format in the near future. The response I got was "We have no plans to release this book in electronic format at this time."

Two weeks later when I was surfing Connect, low and behold the book was there.

This may be a sign that this book will be available for the Sony Reader very soon or it could be a mistake. I would usually suggest contacting the publisher. They have always been very quick to respond. As you can see the last time I did this they either had no idea what I was talking about or they have some type of policy that they can't disclose that information. In any case I have a nice hardcover book on my shelf now that I can easily share with my family.

Update: I just noticed that the book you are talking about is available from Sony. I guess I missed the point of the conversation. I guess its still good info to keep in mind if you run into a situation similar to mine in the future.

Last edited by monkeywrench; 01-29-2008 at 07:02 PM.
monkeywrench is offline   Reply With Quote