Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-10-2010, 10:49 AM   #1
traponk
traponk began at the beginning.

Device: rooted e-ink Nook
Should I see system files in rooted Nook (e-ink)?

When I plug my rooted e-ink Nook into my laptop thru USB I can only see the files from the softroot or files that I loaded. I cannot see the files that the Nook uses to operate (not sure what they're called -- the OS files?). Some places on the nookdevs site say to move or copy files into certain directories on the Nook but I can't see those files or folders. I tried to find a specific example but I can't right now. But it seems like I should be able to see the OS files.

BTW, I'm running Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat. I've tried CTRL+h to see the hidden files and all I get is .settings and .adobe-digital-editions.
traponk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 05:34 PM   #2
cypresstwist
Nooking in Romania
cypresstwist doesn't littercypresstwist doesn't littercypresstwist doesn't litter

Device: Nook WiFi
You have to create certain directories if you don't see them. Directories such as fonts, screensavers, wallpapers. And no, you shouldn't see the root filesystem.
cypresstwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 10:26 PM   #3
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
You can't see the system files from the USB drives, but if you have adb installed, you can transfer files between your Nook and PC via adb.
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 04:01 PM   #4
AnjeTheNerd
AnjeTheNerd began at the beginning.

Device: Softrooted Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgalbrecht View Post
You can't see the system files from the USB drives, but if you have adb installed, you can transfer files between your Nook and PC via adb.
I think the issue here is that the adb setup instructions are to replace some specific system files. Naturally if you can't see the root directory on the Nook, this is a bit tricky to do. I'm looking at the same thing, having just re-rooted my nook. (Now to disable B&N updates, which goes back to why I am re-rooting the Nook....)

Similar setup to the OP, I've got a pre-1.4.1 Nook and Ubuntu 10.10 (Maverick Meerkat).
AnjeTheNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 08:30 PM   #5
KryptoNyte
Shepherd
KryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enough

Device: Nook Color, LG Optimus V
I recall stumbling on a method to basically drag all the Nook data back onto the computer, which would at least give you a picture of the directory structure and target files.
KryptoNyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 08:36 PM   #6
donob10
donob10 began at the beginning.

Device: nook
..If you type in a command window "adb shell", not the quotes
that will return a "#"
the # shows that you have access to all the files
If you type "ls" (for list, it's the linux equivalent of dir in Windows systems) you will see all of the directories and files.
.. Droidexplorer gives an easy interface (GUI) to do these things without using the command window. Either way, you do have to start adb on the nook. Many rooted nooks have adb running all of the time. WIFI Locker allows you to turn adb off and on at will, in order to save battery power.
donob10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 12:09 AM   #7
donob10
donob10 began at the beginning.

Device: nook
..I'm sorry. I missed earlier that you were using Linux. You will need The Android SDK for Linux installed on your machine. google shows lots of sources if you don't have it.
..There are a lot of pages that tell how to use it. The web page [URL="http://androidforums.com/all-things-root-behold-2/60949-adb-linux-replacement-fix-file.html"] is an example of of helpful pages.
.. I sure this will tell you about the Linux equivalent of a command window.
donob10 is offline   Reply With Quote