Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-11-2010, 04:30 PM   #1
enigma2k
enigma2k began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Export highlights and notes of your own books?

Hi,
I am not yet a Kindle user but I've already ordered one.

What I would like to do once it arrives is to put my own books (mobi converted from epub and pdfs) on the Kindle.
Is it possible to export all my highlights and notes to the PC and print them?

I have read that it is not possible for DRM books you have purchased from amazon but how about your own DRM-less books?
enigma2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 05:04 PM   #2
matt314159
Groupie
matt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheese

Device: KSO, NookColor (CM7.1), Samsung Mesmerize
IIRC (somebody correct me if i"m wrong) you can bring up your excerpts and all that from a file stored on the kindle and open it right from notepad.
matt314159 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 05:44 PM   #3
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone 3G, iPod 4G, PB 360, Sony 600 sold, Kindle 2i sold
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt314159 View Post
IIRC (somebody correct me if i"m wrong) you can bring up your excerpts and all that from a file stored on the kindle and open it right from notepad.
Yes there is a file called Clippings (a text file I believe) which you can copy from the Kindle onto your PC where you can then extract whatever info you like. Notes are extracted into this file from highlights or notes you've made on your own books and also it does work with books you've purchased from Amazon with drm. You can then print it all out when you transfer the file to your pc if you wish.

Last edited by TheKindleWorm; 09-11-2010 at 05:47 PM.
TheKindleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 08:29 AM   #4
SamuraiXSendai
Addict
SamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 1. Kindle 2. IPAD. KDXG. Kindle 3.Fire
So can this be done via wifi now?
SamuraiXSendai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 09:10 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Can what be done via WiFi?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 09:35 AM   #6
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuraiXSendai View Post
So can this be done via wifi now?
Yes I get you. In a sense the answer is yes.
Amazon now have a website which you can access where all your notes and highlights are stored - not sure but I guess it's only for Amazon books. Here's the link:
http://kindle.amazon.com/
Old 09-12-2010, 02:38 PM   #7
trekchick
Lurker
trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Sonys and Kindles and Nooks, oh my!
Transferring the My Clippings to your computer via USB is the quickest and easiest method. But, since all annotations from all documents are co-mingled, or if you make notes using more than one app or device, it may not be the best solution.

In those cases, I use this software: http://www.angelfire.com/ego2/idleloop/mbp_reader.html

It extracts the annotations from the book's .mbp file. It's a Windows-only thing, so I have to fire up Parallels to use it, but it's worth having around.

It can't extract notes from .tan files, so for annotations of Topaz files, you're limited to using the My Clippings method.
trekchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 02:45 PM   #8
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
MBP Reader is actually a Perl script you can use directly on the Mac via Terminal, which is how I do it. The windows version is just a wrapper around it.

There is a warning that the latest Kindle updates seem to have changed the way that the notes are stored, so MBP Reader might no longer work for them.

Last edited by ATDrake; 09-12-2010 at 02:49 PM. Reason: Noticed something on the webpage.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 02:58 PM   #9
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by trekchick View Post
Transferring the My Clippings to your computer via USB is the quickest and easiest method. But, since all annotations from all documents are co-mingled, or if you make notes using more than one app or device, it may not be the best solution.

In those cases, I use this software: http://www.angelfire.com/ego2/idleloop/mbp_reader.html

It extracts the annotations from the book's .mbp file. It's a Windows-only thing, so I have to fire up Parallels to use it, but it's worth having around.

It can't extract notes from .tan files, so for annotations of Topaz files, you're limited to using the My Clippings method.
That is a great tip! Would you mind adding it to the Links Every Kindle Owner Should Have thread.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 03:30 PM   #10
trekchick
Lurker
trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Sonys and Kindles and Nooks, oh my!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATDrake View Post
MBP Reader is actually a Perl script you can use directly on the Mac via Terminal, which is how I do it. The windows version is just a wrapper around it.

There is a warning that the latest Kindle updates seem to have changed the way that the notes are stored, so MBP Reader might no longer work for them.
The last time I used it was Aug. 23, and those files are perfect. I've just tested two .mbp files - one from my Kindle 3 (3.0.1) and another from my DXG (2.5.5) - only the number of marks was extracted, not the text. And it generated no errors. Grrr.
trekchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 04:12 PM   #11
enigma2k
enigma2k began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis
I got this directly from the mbp reader homepage - seems it does not work anymore:
WARNING:
last Kindles (probably anyone updated, but confirmed with "Kindle DX") seem to store notes in a way that mbp_reader cannot deal with. I'm working in this issue, but it's a hard one, so I can't promise a solution.
Symptoms of this issue: when you run the program, the text file reports the number of notes, but nothing more, except the text you've written, if any. But no trace of ebook highlighted text.
Well, technically, it seems that new Kindle only stores a "pointer" to the text on the original book, instead of the highlighted text itself, as previous versions did. If you can help providing a way to access by position, the text of some ebooks kindle can read (.mobi, .prc ...), that would Greatly help!
enigma2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 03:20 AM   #12
TenaciousBadger
Mrawr?
TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle 3 wifi
hi, can you guys confirm whether trekchic's tip still works or not?
i'm i dire need of exporting my highlights for only one book from my kindle to my PC so i can print them out (rather than the entire my clippings document)
it's a book i bought from amazon.
i tried the "your highlights" in the link kindly provided by thekindleworm but it doesn't show any of my highlights.

many thanks!

Last edited by TenaciousBadger; 11-07-2010 at 03:23 AM.
TenaciousBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 03:49 AM   #13
TheKindleWorm
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenaciousBadger View Post
hi, can you guys confirm whether trekchic's tip still works or not?
i'm i dire need of exporting my highlights for only one book from my kindle to my PC so i can print them out (rather than the entire my clippings document)
it's a book i bought from amazon.
i tried the "your highlights" in the link kindly provided by thekindleworm but it doesn't show any of my highlights.

many thanks!
Very odd that the amazon site https://kindle.amazon.com/your_highlights isn't working for your Amazon book.

I just checked mine right now and it's got all my highlights including one I made last night on my iPhone. Are you sure you've done a sync so Amazon can pick the data up?
Old 11-07-2010, 04:43 AM   #14
TenaciousBadger
Mrawr?
TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle 3 wifi
ah, the syncing! forgot about that one

is there a way to do that that doesn't involve the wifi since i don't have access to a wireless network right now.
i could sync up with my PC i guess but the book on the kindle can't be read by the K4PC as far as i know so i don't think the MBP file will either.
oh well, when push comes to shove i'll either pore through "my clippings" or go find a wifi network.

thanks for the "duh"!

Last edited by TenaciousBadger; 11-07-2010 at 04:46 AM.
TenaciousBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 09:37 AM   #15
catsittingstill
Guru
catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1.0.8, iPod Touch, Kindle Keyboard
I wondered if it was possible to sync over the USB cable, but I'm not having any luck.
catsittingstill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clippings, kindle tools