Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 07-23-2010, 12:40 AM   #1
jjansen
J
jjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: SONY PRS 505/300, iRex DR800SG, Nook
Leaving iRex for Nook

Well I recently spent a lot of time and money purchasing my iRex. I really like the screen and the capabilities of my DR800SG. There are three main problems. It tends to simply hang fairly often and I need to reboot it. I had hoped to be able to put a large library (2,500 epub) books on it. Doesn't work. All problems get worse at this level and free space is not the issue. I turned off the cover generation and it still has major problems indexing everything. I went down to about two hundred books and had fewer problems but still too many to enjoy. The worst problem of all is the page turning issue. I often get a white box in the middle of the screen with a message about Please wait or something like that (I don't have it with me at the moment). Anyway this starts happening at some point in nearly all my books. I lent it to my mother who normally uses my old Sony 505 and she gave it back half way through a book. Said she just couldn't wait that long for each page and I completely agree. I will put the 800 away in a drawer somewhere and check this forum every few months or so. I am still hoping that someone will come out with new software that will do the trick and yes I have the June 29 update. Nearly all my books started life as PDF files which I converted with Calibre if that makes any difference.

I just bought a wifi Nook for $149. It doesn't have all the extra features and it doesn't have the nice large screen but I have sideloaded 2,700 books on it. Using it steadily for one week I haven't had any problems. I softrooted it almost instantly and I can find all my books. The page turns have never given me a problem. These are exactly the same books that I couldn't read on my iRex. I would really like my iRex to work properly one day but in the meantime I think I will just turn it off and store it which is really too bad.

I look forward to coming back to this forum, the sooner the better. If my iRex would simply index all my books reasonably, keep running and turn pages normally I would be one very happy camper............Jackie
jjansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 05:14 AM   #2
jen6060
Connoisseur
jen6060 began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs505 (given away); Sony prs300; Nook
Hi Jackie,
sorry to hear about the problems. I recently got my irex 800, and fingers crossed that it will continue to work fine. so far i'm v happy with it. If it continues to behave (touch wood), it will be my main device. I have less than 200 books on mine, maybe about 130, and so far it has been ok on page turns.. only thing is this bug with b&n pdb files where it spends a long time counting pages when you first open the file.
i have a nook myself, and like it too! I wish you many happy reading hours on your Nook!
jen6060 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-01-2010, 01:26 PM   #3
trekchick
Lurker
trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Sonys and Kindles and Nooks, oh my!
I just sold my IREX DR800SG. I've settled on a Kindle DXg to replace it (bought the Sony 900 first, but it doesn't suit me). I already miss IREX's ability to use a Table of Contents in PDF files, and the DX is obviously bigger and heavier, but uncertainty over fallout from the bankruptcy has scared me off.

I think something might be wonky with your IREX or your files. In my experience, IREX has very fast page turns (except for the initial .pdb wait as mentioned above). IREX page turns are faster than those on my Kindle 2, Sony 900, or my old Sony 300.

You might want to revert back to the 1.0 firmware and then re-install 2.0 RC3. I had a weird issue in that I could not calibrate the screen after upgrading to 2.0, and the screen offset was problematic. When I downgraded and later re-upgraded, the problem went away, so maybe your page turn problem is also the result of a glitch in the firmware update process.
trekchick is offline   Reply With Quote