Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 11:53 AM   #136
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
That also exposes a flaw in your reasoning. 5 years? that's an infinity of time, 10 years? unthinkable. You must plan for change and transition. And it's irrelevant if you are talking commercial or open source the same planned obsolesce and incompatible upgrades happen.
Old 11-26-2012, 11:54 AM   #137
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
OpenOffice also perfectly highlights one of the reasons businesses still shy away from open source software, the political/religious arguments that end up with the open source community spending too much time fighting each other. Like any real-world rebellion or insurgency, it eventually fractures into smaller groups who care more about fighting each other than the establishment they were originally trying to bring down.
Do I choose OpenOffice.org or LibreOffice.org? Which will give me the best support? Which is more likely to still be a viable project in 5 years time? 10?
Of course I might have chosen StarOffice in order to get the hopefully better support that Oracle offered, but StarOffice and its successor are dead now as a result of this infighting.
Why do you need to choose?
Advert
Old 11-26-2012, 12:04 PM   #138
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
That also exposes a flaw in your reasoning. 5 years? that's an infinity of time, 10 years? unthinkable.
Seriously?
I'm sitting at a business laptop running Windows XP (2001) and Office 2003.
I'm not alone.
Business are very reluctant to upgrade, and only do so when absolutely forced to. Every upgrade costs money, both directly and through the need for retraining/increased support, and each upgrade adds a chance of breaking existing software and practices.
Anyone making a decision to rollout enterprise-wide software who isn't making a calculation about what support will be available in 5 years time is an idiot.
Choosing software for thousands of people to use is not the same as choosing software for yourself to use, and the cost of switching is much higher.

Last edited by murraypaul; 11-26-2012 at 12:07 PM.
Old 11-26-2012, 12:06 PM   #139
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sil_liS View Post
Why do you need to choose?
Do they both behave exactly the same?
Do they both have exactly the same menu options? Available fonts/styles?
Do they both produce exactly the same output files? Read the same input files?
If I'm choosing something to roll-out across an entire business, I want to have training material that everyone can use. I want to have files that everyone can open, view and edit in exactly the same way.
I don't want my helpdesk wasting time because person A has OpenOffice and person B has LibreOffice and they behave every so slightly differently.
Old 11-26-2012, 12:08 PM   #140
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Seriously?
Anyone making a decision to rollout enterprise-wide software who isn't making a calculation about what support will be available in 5 years time is an idiot.
Yes seriously, whoever is not planning on technological change happening in shorter time frames than 10 years as you stated, even 5 years is an idiot.
Advert
Old 11-26-2012, 12:21 PM   #141
murraypaul
Interested Bystander

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Yes seriously, whoever is not planning on technological change happening in shorter time frames than 10 years as you stated, even 5 years is an idiot.
Of course change will happen.
That doesn't mean you don't still need support for the software you are using?
Just because something new is available doesn't suddenly mean everything old stops working.
Office 2003 still works just fine, and has IMHO a much better UI than later versions anyway.
Old 11-26-2012, 12:24 PM   #142
kennyc

Quote:
Of course change will happen.
That doesn't mean you don't still need support for the software you are using?
Just because something new is available doesn't suddenly mean everything old stops working.
Office 2003 still works just fine, and has IMHO a much better UI than later versions anyway.

and now the goal-post shifting....

If open office works fine, why worry about upgrading. Support is still there and generally better in the open source community than in the commercial community.
Old 11-26-2012, 12:47 PM   #143
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Do they both behave exactly the same?
Do they both have exactly the same menu options? Available fonts/styles?
Do they both produce exactly the same output files? Read the same input files?
If I'm choosing something to roll-out across an entire business, I want to have training material that everyone can use. I want to have files that everyone can open, view and edit in exactly the same way.
I don't want my helpdesk wasting time because person A has OpenOffice and person B has LibreOffice and they behave every so slightly differently.
I was implying "Why do you need to choose, when you can have both?"

If there are differences between the two now or in the future, using both makes most sense. One has better menu options, while the other can open more file formats? Just use both. Train people for both. Tell them that files for one activity are to be opened with OpenOffice and files for another activity are to be opened with LibreOffice. If the best option changes with the next software update, you don't have to choose between using the lesser option or training everyone to use the other program, because they are already trained in both.
Old 11-26-2012, 12:56 PM   #144
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Quote:
I was implying "Why do you need to choose, when you can have both?"

Train people for both. Tell them that files for one activity are to be opened with OpenOffice and files for another activity are to be opened with LibreOffice.
I once had a user complain bitterly that a spreadsheet wouldn't open, demanding that I come down at once and sort it out because he was a busy man, and that I should check things more carefully before distributing them and wasting people's time.

I went down immediately to help.

He had been trying to open the spreadsheet in Microsoft Word.

Training users is tricky. Supplying multiple tools to do the same job just makes things worse.

Graham
Old 11-26-2012, 01:01 PM   #145
Sil_liS
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
I once had a user complain bitterly that a spreadsheet wouldn't open, demanding that I come down at once and sort it out because he was a busy man, and that I should check things more carefully before distributing them and wasting people's time.

Training users is tricky. Supplying multiple tools to do the same job just makes things worse.

Graham
Employers should stop hiring idiots.
Old 11-26-2012, 01:05 PM   #146
5thWiggle
Benevolent Evil Lord
5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 8.0, Galaxy Note, iPad Mini, PocketEdge(retired)
Quote:
Employers should stop hiring idiots.
Someone that inept at using a computer is usually the one running the company.
Old 11-26-2012, 01:07 PM   #147
kennyc

Quote:

Graham
:snicker

I've seen that sort of thing happen more often than not.
Old 11-26-2012, 01:08 PM   #148
cjr72
Groupie
cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 6p, Nexus 10
Quote:

Graham
A user told me that a PDF was missing on his computer. I asked him to show me where he thought he had saved it. He opened Microsoft Word > File > Open...
Old 11-26-2012, 01:12 PM   #149
kennyc

And since this thread has veered off in this direction I'll take this opportunity to say -- this is exactly why Apple limits its options to few and simple and attempts to control things -- in order to limit need to train users etc. If there is only one way, one app to do something, it simplifies support across the board.

Last edited by kennyc; 11-26-2012 at 01:23 PM.
Old 11-26-2012, 02:10 PM   #150
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
The corporate IT market runs in 10 year cycles. But only because they *can't* run in 20 year cycles. There is a reason why MS is still supporting XP after 10 years and will still be supporting Win7 past 2020.
As a rule, corporations use PCs as long as they still run (or the support contract does). For most companies, those are capital investments and part of overhead instead of profit-generators. Why do you think there is so much corporate whining over the Win8 GUI? They don't mind changes to the plumbing or incremental changes to the APIs but the GUI is what users see and any time they see "GUI changes" their beancounter minds see "retraining costs!" regardless of whether or not those GUI changes might result in more productivity or lower support costs.

You have to live in (and fight with) a corporate IT environment to appreciate how different it is from a true personal computing environment. After all, it's *their* computers and software, not yours...
Closed Thread