Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 05-02-2010, 11:50 AM   #16
Kore
Enthusiast
Kore began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-350
Thank you, pepak.

Is the software and process safe to use with a PRS-600? the guide seems to only talk about the PRD-505.
Kore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 12:01 PM   #17
pepak
Guru
pepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T3, Kobo Libra H2O
The answer is both YES and NO.

The font issues are the same and SonyFont works the same, too. The principle of the update is the same as well. But the actual flashing is a completely different beast and while it's not difficult per se, it requires extreme concentration and care and should be done by someone who is at least very familiar with computers if not the Sony hacking. I would strongly recommend first getting experience with hacking PRS505 (including changing system files by modifying the fsk image - that is, experience with just PRS+ or PRS Customizer or Universal Flasher IS NOT ENOUGH!) and when you are comfortable with that, you can apply eevrything you've learned to PRS600.

The reason I recommend this approach is that it is very hard to irretrievably brick a PRS-505, but it is relatively simple with PRS-600. You can learn your ways in a safe environment of PRS-505 and once you know what you are doing, hacking PRS-600 shouldn't be too dangerous. But it IS dangerous without the knowledge.
pepak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-02-2010, 12:04 PM   #18
Kore
Enthusiast
Kore began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-350
Heh, thanks. But I don't have access to a PRS-505 to fool around with... I guess I'll be stuck with the default fonts
Kore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 04:47 AM   #19
Tricky
Tricky began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-700
I guess flashing for the prs 700 is out of the question? I'm really annoyed by the '?' substitution as well
Tricky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 05:35 AM   #20
pepak
Guru
pepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T3, Kobo Libra H2O
It's not "out of the question", but I have no first-hand knowledge of anyone who successfully tried it. Theoretically, it is similar to flashing PRS600, which has been done a number of times.
pepak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert