Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-05-2009, 07:13 PM   #46
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
I really do like the wireless downloading but I would've bought the Kindle without it. I had been waiting for a reader that had search, dictionary lookup and annotation features. The iLiad was attractive to me but the slow boot up and the size counted against it. (I do want a large reader, too, when the tech is where I want it but I really was interested in a novel-sized reader first.) When I first watched the video and heard about the Whispernet thing, my reaction was a resounding "meh". Now that I have it, I see how nifty it is to go from reading the sample to having the book without dislodging the cat, but it was the feature set and Amazon's book selection that sold me.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 03:33 AM   #47
corband
corband began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
The Amazon link for coverage assumes that everyone lives on a flat desert plain where there are no terrain features that will block coverage. I had already looked at that site and it said that there is coverage where I live. However, my wife's Sprint Cell Phone still does not have a signal at our house. Verizon on the other hand, works everywhere.
corband is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-06-2009, 03:43 AM   #48
corband

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
I really do like the wireless downloading but I would've bought the Kindle without it. I had been waiting for a reader that had search, dictionary lookup and annotation features.
For the life of me I can not understand what the annotation function on the Kindle or new Sony 700 would be used for. Once you annotate a book, due you down load it to your computer, can you print it out? So here I am reading a book and annotate a passage, then what? Help, explain to me how you use this function.
Old 02-06-2009, 03:57 AM   #49
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by corband View Post
For the life of me I can not understand what the annotation function on the Kindle or new Sony 700 would be used for. Once you annotate a book, due you down load it to your computer, can you print it out? So here I am reading a book and annotate a passage, then what? Help, explain to me how you use this function.
I is very useful in book discussion groups. It is also useful if you are going to write a review of the book.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 04:07 AM   #50
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Another use is if you're proof-reading a book, and you want to note a correction that needs making.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-06-2009, 05:17 AM   #51
corband

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
I is very useful in book discussion groups. It is also useful if you are going to write a review of the book.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Another use is if you're proof-reading a book, and you want to note a correction that needs making.
Can you copy your annotations and paste them into a document for a book review? Can you search on your annotations so you can go back to them when needed?
Old 02-06-2009, 06:44 AM   #52
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I understand that Kindle annotations can be downloaded to your PC, yes. I'm sure that someone will correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 02-06-2009, 07:26 AM   #53
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
I understand that Kindle annotations can be downloaded to your PC, yes.
They are stored in a plain text file. I don't annotate, but the Kindle User's Guide says:
Quote:
In addition to annotations, you can "clip" pages of your reading materials to the "My Clippings" file, which you can open from your Home screen. The "My Clippings" file contains all of the bookmarks, highlights, notes, and clippings you have made while reading on Kindle. The contents of the "My Clippings" file are available to read later or to copy to your computer if you want to further edit or send them to someone else. The "My Clippings" file is stored as a TXT file so you can easily import it into one of your computer applications.
Not all ebooks allow clippings, but clippings plus annotations would make a useful off-line reference.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 07:41 AM   #54
corband

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
They are stored in a plain text file. I don't annotate, but the Kindle User's Guide says: Not all ebooks allow clippings, but clippings plus annotations would make a useful off-line reference.
Ok, now I can see where annotation would be useful.

Thank you
Old 02-06-2009, 07:58 AM   #55
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by corband View Post
Can you copy your annotations and paste them into a document for a book review? Can you search on your annotations so you can go back to them when needed?
Even if you cannot do that it is very useful to have annotations. On my Cybook I bookmark every page that is interesting for a book discussion. I would really like to have the ability to add an annotation so I know why I bookmarked the page.

So to read all you annotations you only have to check all bookmarks (if the ability to go to next annotation is not available).
Old 02-06-2009, 08:06 AM   #56
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
Even if you cannot do that it is very useful to have annotations. On my Cybook I bookmark every page that is interesting for a book discussion. I would really like to have the ability to add an annotation so I know why I bookmarked the page.
Yes, I'd like that ability for proof-reading, too. Very often I spot an error on a page, bookmark it, and then, when I've finished the book and I go back to correct the errrors, I can't remember why I marked the page! What I've started doing now is making a note of the actual error in a small notebook I carry with me, but being able to annotate it on the Gen3 itself would be extremely useful.
Old 02-06-2009, 08:10 AM   #57
tompe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Yes, I'd like that ability for proof-reading, too. Very often I spot an error on a page, bookmark it, and then, when I've finished the book and I go back to correct the errrors, I can't remember why I marked the page! What I've started doing now is making a note of the actual error in a small notebook I carry with me, but being able to annotate it on the Gen3 itself would be extremely useful.
I realized that being able to bookmark a specific line would be really useful. And that ought to be possible to implement easily on the Cybook.
Old 02-06-2009, 08:19 AM   #58
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Yes, and especially useful when you want to mark more than one thing on the same page, of course!
Old 02-06-2009, 12:40 PM   #59
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Very often I spot an error on a page, bookmark it, and then, when I've finished the book and I go back to correct the errrors, I can't remember why I marked the page!
I did the same, I had the same problem, and it's worse when you change the font size, the error might be in the next page!

Quote:
What I've started doing now is making a note of the actual error in a small notebook I carry with me, but being able to annotate it on the Gen3 itself would be extremely useful.
I do the same I even added a pocket for the notebook (and pen) to my hand-made Cybook case...
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 01:17 PM   #60
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
I would love a feature that let me flag an error and would send that information back to Amazon the next time I connected. I think it would help improve the quality of the books. Yes, I can note the locations of all the errors I find and email support but that's a bit of a PITA. I think you'd get a lot more people reporting errors if it was as easy as a couple clicks.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote