Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-04-2009, 10:31 PM   #31
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
I guess my point was that there is no "converting'" and the books found here and at feedbooks are way better than what you will find from those who do this for profit.

I guess I just don't understand those who won't even try, and figure "well, its only 80 cents, such a deal!"

laziness personified.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 12:07 AM   #32
Boston
Fanatic
Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Aura H20, Pixel XL
Keep in mind the original price for Kindle 1 was $399 before it dropped to $359. As much as I wanted one, it was still too pricey for me.

I had mentally pegged a ballpark price of $200 in mind before I would buy an eReader. (I didn't realize that I would save money over what I was spending in p-books...I just saw it as a cool gadget for an avid reader). However, when they had the Chase credit card offer, I figured if I wanted one in the near future, I better buy at $259. I am so glad I did.

I bought my mother's Kindle on the Oprah deal primarily because I missed sharing books with her. But unlike me, she wasn't looking for one and as much as I love my Kindle, I think I would've waited if it weren't for the discount as much as I now realize the benefits of owning one.

So if I wasn't able to justify spending that much on my first Kindle, I think I would have a much harder time spending that amount on an upgrade...of course, that's easier to say when there isn't something out to tempt me
Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-05-2009, 01:54 AM   #33
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Over on the Amazon Kindle discussions page, there is a whole thread with people thrilled to pay 80cents for the following
Quote:
"Heads up, sword & sorcery/fantasy fans. "Savage Stories of Conan", a collection of eighteen Robert E. Howard novels featuring the great pulp era writer's Conan the Barbarian character, is available for only 80 cents on the Kindl"e. Search the author or the title and you'll find it easily. And it's beautifully formatted with nice cover art and two handy linked Tables of Contents, one listing the novels in the order they appeared, and the other listing the stories in the order they happened to the character. A great, great bargain. There are similar huge, inexpensive collections featuring Edgar Rice Burroughs and Sir Arthur Conan Doyle stories, too. Just thought I'd give fellow Kindlers a heads up."
Now, even tho I and others have posted you can get all these for free, and I've included linke to here, this is the type of answer being posted.

Quote:
I also downloaded these for free, but for 80 cents I can see it being worthwhile for some people to get it via Amazon...They dont have to spend any time searching, or even moving the file to their Kindle. So while I would recommend the freebie version because I'm cheap, I can see it being worth the 80 cents to some people.

Also, I appreciate anyone who tries to bring bargains to our attention! Gotta love getting a deal."
and

Quote:
I agree. I'd gladly have them all under one listing on my Kindle. .80 cents is a very small price to pay. I tried to find some of them for free and it was not easy. Combined with the time to download and covert 18 files, worth every penny-LOL
and

Quote:
Yeah, I wouldn't pay $9.99 for it, but the convenience of a single download for all those books is definitely worth $.80.
Remeber, I posted links to here and feedbooks.com And here is my post

Quote:
You can find the same thing, also beautifully formatted, with TOC links, on mobileread.com or feedbooks.com, for FREE. Also available are thousands of other books, also for free.

Paying for these books is just.....wrong.
Did you tell them specifically about the download guides? Maybe they don't get that they can click and download without having to load via USB. Some folks are a bit phobic about that.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 04:25 AM   #34
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
You can lead a horse to water...

There certainly are good reasons for paying for public domain books, if the book has additional material - introductory essays, explanatory notes, and so on. As I've mentioned before, for me, Penguin's "Enhanced eBook Editions" of such classics as "Pride and Prejudice" fall very much into this category. However, where the book contains nothing but the PD material, and it's available for download here free of charge, it does seem a little "odd" to choose to pay even a small amount of money rather than get equally good - if not better - versions for here completely free.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 05:56 AM   #35
lisreed
Addict
lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.

Device: Nook GlowLight 3
I have seen this attitude on kindleboards as well. All the time people are recommending public domain books from Amazon for 80 cents to up to $5. And not better formatted books. And pointing out manybooks.net and feedbooks seems to go in one ear and out the other. I even heard one person say they wanted to get it through amazon to help them pay whispernet fees!
lisreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-05-2009, 10:09 AM   #36
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
I might consider ordering a MkII if one is announced and then give the MkI to my wife, who is not nearly the reader I am. But there's going to have to be a lot of "shiny" on the MkII...
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 10:14 AM   #37
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
I might consider ordering a MkII if one is announced and then give the MkI to my wife, who is not nearly the reader I am. But there's going to have to be a lot of "shiny" on the MkII...
How about if it just has a plastic backed screen instead of glass, so it is less likely to crack if you knock it off your desk? Or if you and your backpack take a fall on the ice?

Sometimes increased durability is enough of an improvement.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 10:17 AM   #38
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
I'm thinking folders, sharper resolution, external SD access, maybe IR or BlueTooth linkage, stuff like that. Durability would be nice, but not a huge selling point.

If it doesn't have SD or other memory expansion, no way am I buying one. I have too many books to give up territory in memory.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 10:41 AM   #39
CCDMan
CCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toys

Device: *****
Quote:
We've made no announcement about the next generation Kindle, so I can't answer your question. However, If I were you I would not cancel my order, and I suspect you'll be happy.
Interesting. They said "the" next generation Kindle, not "a" next generation Kindle, which is what they would say if Monday is something else.

This may imply that existing orders will be offered the newer one and maybe at a LOWER price (hence the "happy")?

In any case, I just placed an order for my wife - since shipping is 3-5 weeks anyway, I can always cancel if they do not offer the new one to me and if they do, I am ahead of any deluge of orders.
CCDMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 11:48 AM   #40
corband
corband began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
There are only 3 problems I see with buying a current or new Kindle I see.

1. Is that I really like my PRS-505 and see no current reason to replace it.

2. The Wireless feature on the Kindle is, as I understand it, based on Sprint's Wireless service. Sprint cell phones do not work where I live (Lakewood, WA - near Tacoma) so I assume that the Kindle Wireless service will also not work. My wife has a Boeing company phone that uses Sprint, and if she needs a cell phone at our home she uses my Verizon. Thus one of the primary selling points of the Kindle, that it is wireless and you get downloads as you sleep (i.e. newspapers, mags) does not work where I live.

3. Is the price. I will not pay $399 for a product I have never seen. I also will not pay $399 for a e-book reader as long as my PRS-505 is still working. Having to download books to a computer and than uploading to my reader is no big deal. I keep all my books on my laptop and only keep the books I am interested in reading on my device.

Last edited by corband; 02-05-2009 at 11:51 AM. Reason: Word flow and spacing
corband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 12:33 PM   #41
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phogg View Post
How about if it just has a plastic backed screen instead of glass, so it is less likely to crack if you knock it off your desk? Or if you and your backpack take a fall on the ice?

Sometimes increased durability is enough of an improvement.
I think that would be a great improvement and I would buy one if I broke my current Kindle but I don't see replacing a perfectly good one for that alone.
Old 02-05-2009, 12:34 PM   #42
Alisa
Gadget Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCDMan View Post
Interesting. They said "the" next generation Kindle, not "a" next generation Kindle, which is what they would say if Monday is something else.

This may imply that existing orders will be offered the newer one and maybe at a LOWER price (hence the "happy")?

In any case, I just placed an order for my wife - since shipping is 3-5 weeks anyway, I can always cancel if they do not offer the new one to me and if they do, I am ahead of any deluge of orders.
Didn't Amazon announce some months ago that there would be a next generation? I think the debate at the moment is if the specifics and release date will be announced on Monday.
Old 02-05-2009, 12:42 PM   #43
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phogg View Post
Such screens will not become available until late this year, so I'm afraid you can rule that one out.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 06:19 PM   #44
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
My father in law does alot of flea markets and stuff. He will put a sign up that says something like:

$5 Each or 3 for $20 (not this blatantly easy to figure out though)

And people will buy 3 and pay $20. They are to lazy to calculate it out.

BOb
One of my cousins was selling some skis and I asked him how much he wanted for them, and his response was "I was going to sell them $80 but your family, so $100."
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 06:38 PM   #45
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by corband View Post
There are only 3 problems I see with buying a current or new Kindle I see.

1. Is that I really like my PRS-505 and see no current reason to replace it.

2. The Wireless feature on the Kindle is, as I understand it, based on Sprint's Wireless service. Sprint cell phones do not work where I live (Lakewood, WA - near Tacoma) so I assume that the Kindle Wireless service will also not work. My wife has a Boeing company phone that uses Sprint, and if she needs a cell phone at our home she uses my Verizon. Thus one of the primary selling points of the Kindle, that it is wireless and you get downloads as you sleep (i.e. newspapers, mags) does not work where I live.

3. Is the price. I will not pay $399 for a product I have never seen. I also will not pay $399 for a e-book reader as long as my PRS-505 is still working. Having to download books to a computer and than uploading to my reader is no big deal. I keep all my books on my laptop and only keep the books I am interested in reading on my device.
Point one is an excellent one.

Point two, here is the link to see what type of coverage you would have in your area. Just enter your zip code.

http://www.showmycoverage.com/mycoverage.jsp?id=A921ZON

Here is Amazons explanation .
Quote:
Whispernet utilizes Amazon's optimized technology plus Sprint's national high-speed (EVDO) data network to enable you to wirelessly search, discover, download, and read content on the go.

Unlike WiFi, you don't have to find a hotspot.
point three, I paid $359, which is the current price, sight unseen, only watching the very informational video three times...i couldn't believe my eyes the first two.

I did this because I was assured of a 30 day, no questions asked money back guarantee. Only return shipping, which would have cost under $10 using USPS two day shipping.

Why is this better than seeing it in a store? Because you have at least three weeks to play with it and really see if you want it....

Luckily, I loved it from the very beginning, and by finding MobileRead, I've found so many other applications, like being able to read library books.

Most of my books I download to my computer and transfer to the kindle anyway. Saves the battery.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote