Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 07-25-2014, 11:16 AM   #1
CarlM
CarlM began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Title included with Author

Hi,

I recently had 24,000 epub books given to me. I have a Kindle. I loaded them into Calibre but a large number of them, a few thousand, have the title and/or series in the author column along with the author. When I try to download the metadata it doesn't find the book in the search until I delete everything after the author.

Example: Pratchett, Terry - Discworld 15 - Men At Arms

Is there any way to bulk edit the author column and remove everything after the - symbol.

Many Thanks

Carl
CarlM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 11:34 AM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlM View Post
Hi,

I recently had 24,000 epub books given to me. I have a Kindle. I loaded them into Calibre but a large number of them, a few thousand, have the title and/or series in the author column along with the author. When I try to download the metadata it doesn't find the book in the search until I delete everything after the author.

Example: Pratchett, Terry - Discworld 15 - Men At Arms

Is there any way to bulk edit the author column and remove everything after the - symbol.

Many Thanks

Carl
Select all the books and click Edit Metadata. This will open Bulk Metadata Edit -- the last tab allows you to use regex Search and Replace on metadata fields.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-25-2014, 11:52 AM   #3
CarlM

Thanks for the response.

I understand how to search and replace specific symbols or something in parentheses but how do I get the bulk edit to delete everything from the dash symbol.

Example: Modesitt, LE - Corean Chronicles 5

How would I get it to delete - Corean Chronicles 5 without having to type in the exact words and number when every book is different?
Old 07-25-2014, 11:59 AM   #4
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Search:
Code:
([^-]*) - .*
Replace:
Code:
\1
Old 07-25-2014, 01:26 PM   #5
CarlM

Nothing happened. I copied your code and pasted it.
Advert
Old 07-25-2014, 05:59 PM   #6
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Are you using regular expressions mode?

http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/meta...ch-and-replace
Old 07-26-2014, 07:52 AM   #7
CarlM

I wasn't but I am now. Works great. Thanks very much for your help. Greatly appreciated.

Carl
Old 07-27-2014, 01:50 AM   #8
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlM View Post
I wasn't but I am now. Works great. Thanks very much for your help. Greatly appreciated.

Carl
Happy to help.