Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-12-2011, 07:19 PM   #1
kateharp
kateharp can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.kateharp can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.kateharp can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.kateharp can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.kateharp can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.kateharp can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.kateharp can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.kateharp can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.kateharp can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.kateharp can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.kateharp can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: kindle
Why use html formatting with kindle?

I know html/css, but using it to format a book seems like overkill. I've done both html and word with the same book and it's much faster and easier in Word (especially with images)

So what's the purpose of creating a REALLY LONG html document and painstakingly link all the images by hand?

It seems like the only people who push for it are consultants. Am I a cynic?
kateharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 05:05 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The Mobipocket format, which the Kindle uses, is based on HTML, so whatever format you start off with, it ends up as HTML. Of course, you can certainly use tools like Word as convenient editing tools, but at some point your Word doc will have to be saved as HTML in order to be converted to Mobipocket format.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-13-2011, 05:32 AM   #3
sheilatx
sheilatx began at the beginning.

Device: none
I just downloaded the Mobipocket Creator and saved my manuscript as html. Is there a way to upload this to Kindle.com?
sheilatx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 06:34 AM   #4
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Yes you can email it to your kindle or side load it via the USB cord.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 07:18 AM   #5
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
One of the benefits of HTML compared with Word is that it is not platform-specific. It is also non-proprietary.
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-13-2011, 12:47 PM   #6
vmars316
vmars316 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle-2
email it to your kindle ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
Yes you can email it to your kindle or side load it via the USB cord.
Greetings,
I have a Kindle2.
What would be my 'kindle email address'?
Or how can I find out my 'kindle email address'?

And once I know that,
how do I group my 'linked html files'
so that I can read them on kindle?

Thanks...vmars
vmars316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 01:21 PM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You seem to be a little confused. You say that you've downloaded Mobipocket Creator. You use that to convert your HTML file(s) into a Mobipocket book. This can then be read directly on the Kindle.

If you have questions about creating Mobipocket books, they are best asked in the Mobipocket file format forum:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=168
Old 05-13-2011, 02:03 PM   #8
vmars316

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
You seem to be a little confused. You say that you've downloaded Mobipocket Creator. You use that to convert your HTML file(s) into a Mobipocket book. This can then be read directly on the Kindle.

If you have questions about creating Mobipocket books, they are best asked in the Mobipocket file format forum:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=168
Harry,
who are you speaking to?
If vmars, no I haven't yet downloaded Mobipocket Creator.
Is it free?
Where can I download a free version?
Thanks...vmars
Old 05-13-2011, 02:44 PM   #9
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmars316 View Post
Is it free?
Where can I download a free version?
Yes, it's free from Mobipocket....
http://www.mobipocket.com/en/downloa...ilscreator.asp
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 03:10 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L View Post
One of the benefits of HTML compared with Word is that it is not platform-specific. It is also non-proprietary.
And if you never let your book near Word, you don't get all the garbage that Words likes to put in.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 03:24 PM   #11
vmars316

could you have 'separate html pages' or one long page ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kateharp View Post
I know html/css , I've done both html and word with the same book. So what's the purpose of creating a REALLY LONG html document and painstakingly link all the images by hand?
kateharp,
When you did the book in html:
did you have 'separate html pages',
or could you have 'separate html pages'.
Or were you forced to make it into one long document.
And did the links work?
Thanks...vmars
Old 05-13-2011, 04:06 PM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

You can split up a book into as many separate HTML files as you wish, but a novel is generally sufficiently short that there's no particular issue with keeping it as a single file. It's entirely a matter of personal preference.
Old 05-13-2011, 04:27 PM   #13
vmars316

Quote:
You can split up a book into as many separate HTML files as you wish, but a novel is generally sufficiently short that there's no particular issue with keeping it as a single file. It's entirely a matter of personal preference.
Harry,
What I am hoping to hear, from someone who has done it, is:
"Yes, You can split up a book into as many separate HTML files as you wish.
Yes, kindle will handle your html linking scheme, from page to page and from page to TOC, and from TOC to page.
[TOC, nextPage, previousPage, lastPage, firstPage, TOC] "

"And this is how you do it:

(just guessing)Load all relevant html pages into one *.zip.
eMail the *.zip to myName@free.kindle.com
When email comes back:
save to disk, open files with kindlePC.exe (or whatever its called).
Alternatively, hitch up usb cable between pc and kindle,
load files onto kindle.
Link away."
Live happily ever after.
Thanks...vmars
Old 05-13-2011, 05:23 PM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

The easiest way to do it is with Mobipocket Creator. Download it and have a go - it's very easy to use.
Old 05-13-2011, 08:56 PM   #15
vmars316

Next stop: Mobipocket Creator.

Quote:
The easiest way to do it is with Mobipocket Creator. Download it and have a go - it's very easy to use.
I think you're on to something there Harry.

Very strange results from kindle -tut01.azw files, unreadable from Kindle-pc.
Local links didn't work, But the external links were perfect.

Next stop: Mobipocket Creator.
Thanks...vmars