Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 10-31-2017, 03:32 PM   #1
dragonryder
dragonryder began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Unable to open ePubs in newest Kindle Previewer

Hello everyone,

I really hope someone can help me because I've spend all morning trying to figure this out :-( I have been previewing my ePubs with Kindle Previewer with no problem for weeks. This morning, I updated to the latest version of the previewer and I'm now receiving the following error when opening my latest ePub:

....Book conversion failed....

Granted, I've made many changes on the book I'm working on in the past 24 hours, but the conversion log shows me no errors at all that should prevent the previewer from opening it. I'm really going nuts and I've researched every line of the conversion log, and can see no reason for the failure. Here is the log. Thanks in advance for ANY help you can offer:
Amazon kindlegen(Windows) V2.9 build 0830-03578f
A command line e-book compiler
Copyright Amazon.com and its Affiliates 2015

Info:I9026ption: (hidden) amazon creator tool or pipeline

Info(prcgen):I1047: Added metadata dc:Title "The Body Healer Protocol: Heal Your Body and Transform Your Life with High Vibrational Living"

Info(prcgen):I1047: Added metadata dcate "2017-10-20T02:45:28Z"

Info(prcgen):I1047: Added metadata dc:Creator "Julia Bennett"

Info(prcgen):I1047: Added metadata dc:Publisher "Wolfwood Press"

Info(prcgen):I1047: Added metadata dc:Subject "high vibrational living, higher vibration, personal transformation, the body healer, diet, weight loss, detoxification, detox, protocol, natural healing, heal cancer naturally, heal diabetes naturally, cancer treatment, cancer protocol, integrative medicine, create your own reality

Info(prcgen):I1047: Added metadata dc:Rights "All rights reserved. Copyright Wolfwood Press 2017"

Info(prcgen):I1047: Added metadata dcescription "The Body Healer Protocol is a cutting edge approach to achieving health, wealth, happiness, and manifesting the life of your dreams through the power of high vibrational living

PUBLISHER: Wolfwood Press

"

Info(prcgen):I1052: Kindle support cover images but does not support cover HTML. Hence using the cover image specified and suppressing cover HTML in content. URL: C:\Users\Dragon\AppData\Local\Temp\mbp_7E1_A_1F_D_ 10_1D_20F_7770_12744_1\OEBPS\cover.xhtml

Info(prcgen):I1002: Parsing files 0000098

Info(cssparser):I10004: @rules other than @import, @charset and @font-face are not supported.

Info(prcgen):I1015: Building PRC file

Info(prcgen):I1006: Resolving hyperlinks

Info(pagemap):I8000: No Page map found in the book

Info(prcgen):I1045: Computing UNICODE ranges used in the book

Info(prcgen):I1046: Found UNICODE range: Basic Latin http://20..7E

Info(prcgen):I1046: Found UNICODE range: Latin-1 Supplement http://A0..FF

Info(prcgen):I1046: Found UNICODE range: General Punctuation - Windows 1252 http://2018..201A

Info(prcgen):I1046: Found UNICODE range: Latin Extended-A http://100..17F

Info(prcgen):I1046: Found UNICODE range: Basic Greek http://370..3FF

Info(prcgen):I1017: Building PRC file, record count: 0000496

Info(prcgen):I1039: Final stats - text compressed to (in % of original size): 43.67%

Info(prcgen):I1040: The document identifier is: "The_Body_Hea-ational_Living"

Info(prcgen):I1041: The file format version is V6

Info(prcgen):I1031: Saving PRC file

Info(prcgen):I1032: PRC built successfully

Info(prcgen):I1016: Building enhanced PRC file

Info(prcgen):I1007: Resolving mediaidlinks

Info(prcgen):I1011: Writing mediaidlinks

Info(prcgen):I1009: Resolving guide items

Info(prcgen):I1017: Building PRC file, record count: 0000601

Info(prcgen):I1039: Final stats - text compressed to (in % of original size): 43.23%

Info(prcgen):I1041: The file format version is V8

Info(prcgen):I15000: Approximate Standard Mobi Deliverable file size : 0009760KB

Info(prcgen):I15001: Approximate KF8 Deliverable file size : 0010376KB

Info(prcgen):I1036: Mobi file built successfully
dragonryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 03:47 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The log looks like it converted no issue. So what's wrong?

Dd you validate the ePub with epubcheck 4.0.2?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 05:22 PM   #3
dragonryder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The log looks like it converted no issue. So what's wrong?

Dd you validate the ePub with epubcheck 4.0.2?
Well, the problem is that I can no longer open it with the Kindle Previewer (which has been very helpful in previewing the output, unless there is another accurate way?). It says:

Book conversion failed

I'll try the validation you just suggested.
Old 10-31-2017, 05:45 PM   #4
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonryder View Post
This morning, I updated to the latest version of the previewer and I'm now receiving the following error when opening my latest ePub
You've most likely installed KindlePreviewer 3.x, which generates a MOBI file first and then tries to generate a KFX file. This last step often fails.
If you have a current eInk Kindle model, try converting your epub file to a kfx file with Calibre and the Calibre KFX output plugin.
If it works, sideload the kfx file to your Kindle via USB.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 05:57 PM   #5
dragonryder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
You've most likely installed KindlePreviewer 3.x, which generates a MOBI file first and then tries to generate a KFX file. This last step often fails.
If you have a current eInk Kindle model, try converting your epub file to a kfx file with Calibre and the Calibre KFX output plugin.
If it works, sideload the kfx file to your Kindle via USB.
Ok, so that explains why version 2.x gave me no issues and the new 3.14 does.

I don't have a current eInk Kindle model which is why I was using the Kindle previewer. It was really nice to see how it looked in different font sizes, tablet, phone, etc.

I used Dreamweaver to create all my files (as I have heavy experience using it and do all my coding via Dreamweaver). I did install Calibre this morning and tried to output it as a .mobi file (their new version of .mobi) but when I opened it using the Kindle previewer I received the error similar to "you are using a 3rd party to create your .mobi file and enhanced typeset isn't supported, etc." Never seen that error before.

I just downloaded Sigil and figured I'd try and output it from there as a .mobi. But... that doesn't seem possible :-) I'm new to ePubs and this is driving me nuts. Sigh...
Old 11-01-2017, 03:54 AM   #6
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonryder View Post
I just downloaded Sigil and figured I'd try and output it from there as a .mobi. But... that doesn't seem possible :-)
Shameless plug: You could use my KindleGen Sigil plugin to generate an AZW3 file and open it with a Kindle app or Kindle Previewer. (If you open it with Kindle Previewer, it won't generate an Enhanced Typesetting version, but it might be good enough for testing purposes.)

BTW, you'll get the same error that you got with the Calibre-generated version, though, which you can ignore.

Last edited by Doitsu; 11-01-2017 at 03:57 AM.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 05:18 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Ans when you validated your code with epubcheck, did it validate?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 10:40 AM   #8
dragonryder

JSWolf, yep - I was fine on the validation. I found out the cause. In my crashplan backup, I found the previous copy of Kindle Previewer I had been using (3.14) as opposed to the 3.15 I upgraded to yesterday. I rolled back to the previous version and, voila! My ePub opened flawlessly.

It has something to do with the new version of the previewer. Ugh, and I spent the entire day yesterday going nuts with this :-)

But thanks for the shameless plugin, Doitsu!

Tags
epub, kindle previewer