Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 12-24-2020, 11:14 AM   #4366
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtinG View Post
No ideas how to correct the issues, but I constantly have snafus with some of my scenes and often have to argue with Alexa when I ask her to turn on/off my smart bulb named “Bath light.” Usually she turns it on/off, but occasionally she says there is no device with that name. I’m convinced it is buggy software. Amazon is a book store at heart, not a high tech firm.
Wonder if it's Alexa software, or a defective smart plug (or bulb in your case). Alex is doing fine with the simple voice commands for turning lights on and off. Maybe after the holidays I'll call Amazon if the problem persists (though after the holidays, I won't really need the routine anymore).

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Did you get this to work?
No, I never did get the music to play properly--I just gave up and played my music from CDs or flash drives.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 03:14 PM   #4367
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, iPhone 13 Pro Max, iPad mini 6, iPad Air 2020, Alexa Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
Wonder if it's Alexa software, or a defective smart plug (or bulb in your case). Alex is doing fine with the simple voice commands for turning lights on and off. Maybe after the holidays I'll call Amazon if the problem persists (though after the holidays, I won't really need the routine anymore).
The smart bulbs always work fine with the Kasa app, but Alexa occasionally has trouble with them, so the issue seems more Alexa related.
OtinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-03-2021, 05:26 PM   #4368
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
As Amazon, in their wisdom, saw fit to discontinue them; I dread the day my Tap stops working. Sure, I'll still (hopefully) have my first generation Echo and my Echo Show, but I can't carry them to the bathroom when I take a shower, nor can my wife take them outside when she sits on the deck.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 07:01 PM   #4369
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Does anyone have the Echo Plus 4th gen? If so, how does it sound?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 08:10 AM   #4370
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Does anyone have the Echo Plus 4th gen? If so, how does it sound?
Is there an Echo Plus 4th Gen? Searching Amazon, I see a 2nd gen Echo Plus refurbished, but no later generation Pluses.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-10-2021, 11:45 AM   #4371
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Is there an Echo Plus 4th Gen? Searching Amazon, I see a 2nd gen Echo Plus refurbished, but no later generation Pluses.
2nd Gen Echo Plus is the latest Plus model. They built-in the smart home hub to the newest Echo (non-plus) model, and it was the smart home hub that had differentiated the Plus from the non-plus, so I suspect they will discontinue the Plus models. BTW, I have the 2nd Gen Echo Plus and it is a very good device.
Old 04-14-2021, 02:54 AM   #4372
mlewis78
Guru
mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 (7"); HDX 8.9"; Ipad2
I still find it startling to hear my Echo speaker suddenly say "Playing from laptop blah blah blah in a much louder voice than the volume I have it set for playing a youtube or other video. I had an unfruitful argument with it last night. Told it a few times to stop saying "Playing from laptop" and it "didn't know that one." I do wish there was a setting in the app to turn this awfulness off.
mlewis78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 12:30 PM   #4373
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy

I finally muted the mics on all but two of my Alexa Echo devices. I got tired of them randomly going into a long winded explanation about something even though they had not been asked any question or given any command. Just getting Alexa to shut up can take several commands.

Occasionally she tries to respond to something spoken on the TV. More often than that though, she responds to something I say when talking on the phone to someone. My friends get a kick out of her responses because they have happened so often in the past that they recognize her voice in the background and start laughing. I have to pause my conversation and tell Alexa to stop. She pretty much acts like a teenager by yapping about stuff no one asked about then copping attitude when told to shut up!
Old 04-20-2021, 11:08 PM   #4374
mlewis78
Guru
mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 (7"); HDX 8.9"; Ipad2
This morning when I was about to go back to sleep, I asked Alexa for the weather. Then she started talking about a new book by an author I follow, so I said "Alexa, STOP." It's not the first time it has tried to sell me something when all I wanted was the time or the weather.
mlewis78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 12:52 AM   #4375
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlewis78 View Post
This morning when I was about to go back to sleep, I asked Alexa for the weather. Then she started talking about a new book by an author I follow, so I said "Alexa, STOP." It's not the first time it has tried to sell me something when all I wanted was the time or the weather.
A true child of the Amazon ecosystem.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 09:14 AM   #4376
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Makes you wonder what she is saying while you are asleep ...
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 09:30 AM   #4377
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
This is one of my biggest complaints with Alexa. She needs a setting to turn that intrusive and presumptuous garbage off.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 03:54 PM   #4378
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy

If you have a Show, you also get the never-ending tips along with suggestions for items you don’t care about. You can use Settings options to turn off the Tips, but they manage to sneak back in whenever you ask Alexa a question or give her a command. They also continuously try to display every few minutes which results in the clock screen turning black for a second or two then returning to the clock.

Karma would be that Bezos would go to his special heck place some day wherein he is constantly forced to listen to complaints from his ex wife, tries to turn her communications off via Settings, but isn’t allowed to.
Old 04-21-2021, 04:18 PM   #4379
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtinG View Post
Karma would be that Bezos would go to his special heck place some day wherein he is constantly forced to listen to complaints from his ex wife, tries to turn her communications off via Settings, but isn’t allowed to.
That's sounds really familiar....

Harcourt Fenton Mudd!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	st-imudd3.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	14.6 KB
ID:	186724  
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 04:31 PM   #4380
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The other day, our Echo Plus (the 2021 model) started playing music without being asked to do so or even being talked to.

What I don't get is why Alexa responds to something without the tripper to activate it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote