Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 03-07-2008, 03:20 PM   #16
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceHand View Post
Thanks for the tip, but I already knew of HTML Tidy and it won't generate a cleaned up version if the source file has errors – which includes most exploded Mobipocket html files.

Anyway, I had a closer look at the html code and it seems that running a search and replace for "> <" with ">\n<" does the trick. Maybe an idea for the next mobi2oeb version?
That's not quite safe, what if you have something like
Code:
<font size=4>W</font><font size=2>ord</font>
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 04:36 PM   #17
IceHand
Linux User
IceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
That's not quite safe, what if you have something like
Code:
<font size=4>W</font><font size=2>ord</font>
Then nothing will happen for that line. It's >space< that would be replaced with >line break< which gives the same output.

>< with no space between should of course not be separated by a line break.
IceHand is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-07-2008, 07:26 PM   #18
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Are there spaces in the output HTML? Seems odd there would be, if the creation tools are stripping unneeded whitespace characters.
Old 03-08-2008, 06:59 AM   #19
IceHand
Linux User
IceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavens

Yes, there are. To me it doesn't look like that the creation tools are stripping unneeded whitespace characters, but rather like either they are converting line breaks to whitespaces (would seem odd to me, if they would do that) or the script used for exploding to html misinterprets line breaks as whitespaces (that's only a guess of course).

Here's a small sample output from mobi2oeb from a selfmade mobi file. Notice that whereever there is "> <" there should have been a line break between:

Code:
<html><head>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8" />
<guide></guide></head><body><br/><br/> <h1 align="center"><b>Book Title</b></h1> <br/> <h2 align="center">Author Name</h2> </body></html>
Old 03-08-2008, 02:39 PM   #20
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

OK will be in next release.
Advert
Old 03-09-2008, 06:50 AM   #21
IceHand
Linux User

Great, thanks!
Old 03-12-2008, 10:00 AM   #22
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Is there an oeb2mobi?

As .oeb (an OEBFF container produced by eBook Publisher) is a 'generic' self-contained format, are there any tools you may have that convert from it to mobi format? to any format?

I'm adding .oeb as an output format to PDFRead and will soon release same as version 1.8 (with Ashish Kulkarni's permission). I wanted to easily allow mobipocket users to benefit from this addition as PDFRead does not presently support .prc output formats natively.

By the way, I also added .html as an output format to PDFRead which produces a .opf file along with this, so I guess opf2mobi or Mobipocket creator can do the trick for mobipocket users. However, I'm having issues with this as the .opf file produced is not mobipocket specific and breaks sometimes.

I prefer however a direct .oeb to .mobi tool, if there is one already.
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 12:19 PM   #23
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

mobi2oeb doesn't actually produce an oeb file, which is really just a zipped up set of HTML + OPF files. You should be talking to tompe, the creator of opf2mobi.
Old 03-17-2008, 10:12 AM   #24
IceHand
Linux User

Hm, that's strange – the resulting HTMLs from huffdic compressed e-books from HarperCollins are twice as big as they should be. I looked at the generated HTMLs and found out that after they should end, the books start again with the table of contents like:
Title page(s)
Table of Contents
Book content
Book ending
Table of Contents (this and the following content shouldn't be there)
Book content
Book ending

You can test this with the free e-book Flight of the Nighthawks by Raymond E. Feist.
Old 03-17-2008, 10:24 AM   #25
nrapallo
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceHand View Post
Hm, that's strange – the resulting HTMLs from huffdic compressed e-books from HarperCollins are twice as big as they should be. I looked at the generated HTMLs and found out that after they should end, the books start again with the table of contents like:
Title page(s)
Table of Contents
Book content
Book ending
Table of Contents (this and the following content shouldn't be there)
Book content
Book ending

You can test this with the free e-book Flight of the Nighthawks by Raymond E. Feist.

Actually, I got similar results (duplicated HTML code) using the Mobipocket sample file, SpaceEncyclopedia.mobi, which I believe uses standard compression.
Old 03-17-2008, 12:33 PM   #26
llasram
Reticulator of Tharn
llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrapallo View Post
Actually, I got similar results (duplicated HTML code) using the Mobipocket sample file, SpaceEncyclopedia.mobi, which I believe uses standard compression.
kovidgoyal's got it fixed in svn.
llasram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 12:50 PM   #27
nrapallo

Quote:
Originally Posted by llasram View Post
kovidgoyal's got it fixed in svn.
Thanks, good to know!
Old 11-14-2008, 11:22 PM   #28
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Did something change in mobi2oeb recently? It looks like it's now converting any HTML code using
Code:
<i></i>
to
Code:
<span="italic"></span>

Is there a way to turn that off? I looked at the User Guide and didn't find anything in the arguments.

The reason I ask is, I can't get my copy of Word (2002) to recognize "span" tags in HTML. So I lose all my italic formatting when I open the HTML output in Word.

Thanks!
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 01:21 AM   #29
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

yeah it's changed, the reason is that mobipocket html nests <i> and <b> levels at arbitrary depths which causes problems with some HTML parsers. It cant be turned off.
Old 11-15-2008, 01:41 AM   #30
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Sigh.

Thanks, Kovid. I appreciate the answer. Not happy news (for me), but at least I know for sure.

There's still tompe's "mobi2html", for the time being, anyway.

Last edited by FizzyWater; 11-15-2008 at 05:59 PM.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote