Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > ePub Books

Notices

Old 05-14-2021, 10:35 AM   #1
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...
GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, ADE on PC
Dawson, Emma: An Itinerant House and Other Stories (ghosts,illus). v1. 14 May 2021

An Itinerant House and Other Stories
By Emma Dawson (1839–1926)
Illustrations by Ernest Peixotto (1869–1940)

Three men who reversed Death itself find themselves haunted by the house where it happened: the house seems to follow them from city to city...

Three sisters living in genteel poverty take in a lodger — a very strange lodger indeed...

A valet finds that his job involves more than he bargained for...

And seven more tales of the uncanny...

An Itinerant House and Other Stories is notable not only for its merit as atmospheric supernatural fiction, but for its detailed description of 19th century San Francisco in the Victorian/fin de siecle manner, with a fine sense of place.

=========
Emma Frances Dawson (1839–1926) was an American poet and writer of supernatural fiction. She wrote short stories and poems, originally printed in regional publications such as the Argonaut and Overland Monthly. Ambrose Bierce, who seems to have been a mentor to Dawson in her literary efforts, praised her work as some of the best being written in the West Coast.

=========
This book, first published in 1897, is in the public domain where copyright is “Life+80” or less, and in the USA.

EDIT --- Upload new version with corrected cover display. Previous downloads: 52
This work is assumed to be in the Life+70 public domain OR the copyright holder has given specific permission for distribution. Copyright laws differ throughout the world, and it may still be under copyright in some countries. Before downloading, please check your country's copyright laws. If the book is under copyright in your country, do not download or redistribute this work.

To report a copyright violation you can contact us here.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IntinerantHouseThumbnail.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	187132  
Attached Files
File Type: epub DawsonE-AnItinerantHouse-ghosts-illus.epub (3.31 MB, 260 views)

Last edited by GrannyGrump; 05-22-2021 at 04:07 AM. Reason: upload correction
GrannyGrump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 10:25 AM   #2
The Lucky One
The Lucky One began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Air 2
Thank you as always, GrannyGrump! I’d never even heard of Emma Dawson before, but looking forward to digging into this. (Er... eventually. Dang backlog!)

Not sure if anyone here has any advanced epub knowledge (sadly, I don’t), but I had a quick question if anyone does. I use Apple’s Books app to read epub files. When scrolling through my collection, the vast majority of GG’s ebooks show her wonderful cover images. However, a small number of them (Whispers in the Dark by Ellen Glasgow; Johnny Ludlow Third Series; A Night with Death by W.C. Morrow; The Thing in the Woods by Margery Williams; and An Itinerant House and Other Stories by Emma Dawson) just show the generic “plain book cover” image. When opened they display the covers, but when just scrolling through the books, they’re plain.

It’s obviously an incredibly minor thing, but I love those covers; so I just wondered if that’s something to do with the coding, or if there’s anything I can do on my end to make the cover images display, as already happens with most of their brethren.

Thanks in advance if anyone can help!
The Lucky One is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-19-2021, 10:14 PM   #3
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...
GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@The Lucky One --- I am glad you are enjoying the ghastly ghostly books. Thank you for downloading.

And **THANK YOU** for pointing out the problem with the covers.
It is because of a bad search-and-replace script I was using.

if you go to the cover.xhtml file, you will see the following code.

Code:
 <style type="text/css">
body {margin:0; padding: 0; border-width: 0; background-color: #nnnnnn;}
 page 
 {margin: 0; padding: 0; border-width: 0;}
 div 
 {text-indent: 0em; text-align: center;}
</style>

That dash just in front of "page" should be an @ sign.

I am SO sorry for that. Hope you find it easy to fix (Sigil or Calibre make fixing very easy). Please reply back if you have questions. The Epub subforum under Ebook Software might be a good place to visit if you need assistance: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/fo...play.php?f=203

Enjoy the books --- even if I do force you to make repairs!

Last edited by GrannyGrump; 05-19-2021 at 10:19 PM.
Old 05-22-2021, 12:51 AM   #4
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...

Just uploaded new version with corrected cover display.

Thank you to The Lucky One for letting me know.

Tags
ghost stories, poetry, san francisco, supernatural fiction