Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 05-07-2021, 11:08 AM   #196
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, K3, PPW 2 3, HDX, KBasic 5, 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
"Utilize" This was government-speak prior to WW2 because of involvement with the French military. The word is USE! Please USE it! It's short and sweet and easy to spell.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 11:09 AM   #197
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrannyGrump View Post
@ tempest@de

"You know" is very common in much of the American Midwest -- Wisconsin, Minnesota, northern Illinois --- you often hear it a lot on broadcasts of Chicago sports....
Yes, my late sister was hugely embarrassed when she found herself saying 'you know'. We mostly grew up near Boston. Definitely a midwest construct.
Old 05-07-2021, 11:13 AM   #198
Tarana
Wizard

Another is "That is so dope". I'm not sure what the current colloquial is on this one but all I can think of is illegal drugs so I always miss the message.
Old 05-07-2021, 01:49 PM   #199
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
Another is "That is so dope". I'm not sure what the current colloquial is on this one but all I can think of is illegal drugs so I always miss the message.
I have a similar problem with the word "sh_t". It was always used for something bad when I was growing up. Can't get used to people nowadays using it as a synonym for "stuff" or "things". I often get a mental picture that is not at all what's intended....
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 03:09 PM   #200
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Clara HD, Nexus 7 HD, iPad Pro, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
I have a similar problem with the word "sh_t". It was always used for something bad when I was growing up. Can't get used to people nowadays using it as a synonym for "stuff" or "things". I often get a mental picture that is not at all what's intended....
I seem to remember more than a few decades back running into some great sh_t at various parties.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 07:19 PM   #201
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
"We're not out the woods yet…"

And all the other ad-infinitum repeated trivialisations applied to the pandemic.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote