Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-04-2021, 12:18 PM   #1981
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by winstonma View Post
  • Support WebP, which is included in EPUB v3.3
  • Support WebP within CBZ (reduce the size of comic book by 25-40%)
  • (Nice to have) Support CB7

Using WebP can really reduce the image size, and thus shrink the size of the EPub/CBZ
Ummm... you did notice the line that reads "W3C Working Draft 06 April 2021"?

You might also want to check Is WebP really better than JPEG? before repeating the 25% to 34% size savings claimed by Google.

In December, 2020, I did some testing on my epub collection with their average 1000-1125 x 1500 cover images which are compressed using the Mozilla JPEG compression. Using cwebp to compress 10,000 of the original cover files and resize them to match the current cover files yielded an output directory that was 5% larger than the directory with the mozjpeg compressed cover images.

As for supporting CB7? In compressing image files, I've found little advantage to using 7Zip's 7z archive over a more or less standard zip archive. The image files are already compressed and adding them to an archive does not yield much extra compression. In a quick test, I compressed 20 images from my camera. Using 7Zip's 7z archive format with everything set for maximum compression, the output archive was 197,101,971 bytes while using 7Zip's Zip format with normal compression yielded a 198,244,218 bytes output archive. I'm not sure if the time to create the 7z archive justified the 0.6% file size difference.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 11:17 AM   #1982
talaivan
Groupie
talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs-505
Please make it easier to invert text on the Forma. As it is, the user has to activate developer mode, then go to settings, device, developer mode, which takes time. The inverted text is much much easier to read in a dark room at night. I use it every night. It works much better than the similar feature on the Amazon Oasis, which is far too dim.
talaivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 11:34 AM   #1983
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by talaivan View Post
Please make it easier to invert text on the Forma. As it is, the user has to activate developer mode, then go to settings, device, developer mode, which takes time. The inverted text is much much easier to read in a dark room at night. I use it every night. It works much better than the similar feature on the Amazon Oasis, which is far too dim.
If you install NickelMenu, it is a bit simpler.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 01:00 AM   #1984
Minotaur
Enthusiast
Minotaur can teach chickens to fly.Minotaur can teach chickens to fly.Minotaur can teach chickens to fly.Minotaur can teach chickens to fly.Minotaur can teach chickens to fly.Minotaur can teach chickens to fly.Minotaur can teach chickens to fly.Minotaur can teach chickens to fly.Minotaur can teach chickens to fly.Minotaur can teach chickens to fly.Minotaur can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
If you install NickelMenu, it is a bit simpler.
+1 for NickelMenu. 2 taps from the main page, and 3 if you're reading a book.

The following lines in the conf file will add "Invert Screen" to NickelMenu in the main menu and reading view:

menu_item :main :Invert Screen :nickel_setting :toggle :invert
menu_item :reader :Invert Screen :nickel_setting :toggle :invert

Last edited by Minotaur; 05-06-2021 at 01:02 AM.
Minotaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 07:07 AM   #1985
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
The ability to lock not only portrait/landscape, but also button placement (left/right or up/down), in effect disabling the gyro sensor completely.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 04:56 PM   #1986
ozgurs
Enthusiast
ozgurs began at the beginning.

please add "save settings"
at font settings place
for auto apply on any other book.
ozgurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 05:09 PM   #1987
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozgurs View Post
please add "save settings"
at font settings place
for auto apply on any other book.
The Aa settings get saved after you apply them. So when you open an eBook you've not opened before,the settings you last applied will be what's used.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 04:29 PM   #1988
howyoudoin
how YOU doin?
howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro 10.5”, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
Please add the ability to save custom themes like on the kindle. It would be nice to save a set of a font selection, font size, margin and line spacing as a theme. A theme for fiction books, one for historicals, a different one for another genre etc.
howyoudoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 04:42 PM   #1989
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by howyoudoin View Post
Please add the ability to save custom themes like on the kindle. It would be nice to save a set of a font selection, font size, margin and line spacing as a theme. A theme for fiction books, one for historicals, a different one for another genre etc.
+1 for this excellent suggestion.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 11:35 AM   #1990
rogerinnyc
Addict
rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Forma and Aura One; Kindle Voyage; Galaxy Note 10
Maybe this is more of a patch request, but I would like the search option, when you highlight a word or phrase, to take you directly to "search in book". That's always what I want to do, and avoiding an extra tap would be sweet (although hardly essential, I admit).
rogerinnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 12:02 PM   #1991
Pjama
Guru
Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ✍️🏝️♎️ Kobo Clara 2E
Another vote for making dark mode more accessible in the stock firmware. Although I noticed this is being used as a selling feature on the Elipsa, so we might have to wait a while for that to trickle down.

I would like chapter marks on the progress bar. I have this in KO Reader, but I don’t really use it, I prefer the stock firmware. So I would like to have it in both ePubs and Kepubs. I love my progress bar as is, but this would be a nice to have.
Pjama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 12:04 PM   #1992
Pjama
Guru
Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ✍️🏝️♎️ Kobo Clara 2E
Oh, and I would love to be able to read Kepubs in two page view. I enjoy reading this way, so tend to stick to epubs, but it would be nice to read in the same layout when I’m reading Overdrive books.
Pjama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 06:35 AM   #1993
Rid
Groupie
Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Aura HD (R.I.P.) :(
Would they just add Invert/nightmode! We already know it works.

But I have to say it is great to use NickelMenu. It allows me to access stuff in different screens that kobo dictates I do not need too.
Rid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 03:38 PM   #1994
erketre
Enthusiast
erketre began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Please add:
- Cloud storage synchronization!
- View highlights within context (1-3 lines) without actually going to the place in book.
erketre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 05:50 PM   #1995
KoboFormaMX
KoboFormaMX began at the beginning.

Users can choose between show everything in 100% contrast just black & white, or grayscale.
KoboFormaMX is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
feature requests, firmware, kobo