Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 08-05-2020, 11:56 PM   #1
serendipity22
serendipity22 began at the beginning.

Device: none
unicode chess pieces

I am experimenting with using unicode chess pieces for diagrams in some of my chess ebooks I have on Amazon.

The diagrams are OK when viewed in a kindle reader, except that if I zoom in or out the chess pieces change size while the board and pieces do not.

Is there a way I can either make the pieces fixed so they don't resize or
make the board resizable?

Has anyone had success with unicode pieces in a chess diagram?
serendipity22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 04:03 AM   #2
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Because Unicode chess pieces are essentially just characters (text), I wonder if you might have better luck using tables instead of (what I presume to be) an image for the board. With luck the table will resize more consistently with the font. You might be able to use your board image as a background image for the table, otherwise just colour the cells.

I fear that any attempt to get completely consistent behaviour between images and text is doomed to failure. (At least, that is my pessimistic forecast.)

I assume you are intending to embed an appropriate font for the pieces - relying on readers to have a font with good chess pieces could be risky.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 05:16 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Use SVG diagrams.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 08:53 PM   #4
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by serendipity22 View Post
I am experimenting with using unicode chess pieces for diagrams in some of my chess ebooks I have on Amazon.

The diagrams are OK when viewed in a kindle reader, except that if I zoom in or out the chess pieces change size while the board and pieces do not.

Is there a way I can either make the pieces fixed so they don't resize or
make the board resizable?
What solutions did you go with since your 2018 chess thread?

"embedded fonts in epub"

The chess recommendations given in that thread are still applicable now in 2020.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
I fear that any attempt to get completely consistent behaviour between images and text is doomed to failure. (At least, that is my pessimistic forecast.)
Yep. See discussion in 2018 thread above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
I assume you are intending to embed an appropriate font for the pieces - relying on readers to have a font with good chess pieces could be risky.
Yep. Barely any font is going to even have those characters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Use SVG diagrams.
Another potential solution. SVG will work for KF8+KFX, while PNG/GIF fallback will be needed for KF7 and Amazon's Look Inside.

Last edited by Tex2002ans; 08-07-2020 at 09:02 PM.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote