Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old Yesterday, 02:21 PM   #26926
CRussel
Grand Sorcerer
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage,Kindle PW, Fire HD 8.9, Fire HD8
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Still reading Devices and Desires on audio, but meanwhile I read E. R. Braithwaite's To Sir With Love. The movie was very closely based on the book, and it was a pleasure to revisit it. But also a bit of a downer, seeing so many of the issues that Braithwaite dealt with still a major problem.
And I read Braithwaite's second memoir, Paid Servant, about his time being seconded from teaching to work as a social worker dealing with "difficult" cases (almost all mixed race cases). Not as compelling as To Sir With Love, but in many ways more revealing. Overall, I didn't enjoy it nearly as much, but it was worth the read.

Now reading Troublemaker, by Joseph Hansen. This is the third Dave Brandstetter mystery, and I am quite enjoying rediscovering these books after so many years. They have stood up well.
CRussel is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old Today, 10:07 AM   #26927
ReadingManiac
Genre Jumper
ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleStar View Post
Last night I finished In a Dark, Dark Wood by Ruth Ware. Good mystery/thriller. Next up is Star Trek: The Next Generation Hearts and Minds by Dayton Ward.
Intriguing title, how good was it?
ReadingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:53 PM   #26928
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
I am currently reading Virigina Woolf's To The Lighthouse and Isaac Asimov's I, Robot.
Finished both of these - one last night and one this morning. Enjoyed both immensely in different ways.

I had never read I,Robot before and was surprised to see that the action centered a woman who had been one of the founders of the robotic society. Asimov didn't quite go so far as to let her be a robotics scientist (she was a psychologist), but I was surprised to see it from a book written in 1950.

Moving on to Ahmed Saadwi's Frankenstein in Baghdad on the Kobo and a quick relisten of The Old Man and the Sea for the New Leaf Book Club.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:01 PM   #26929
PurpleStar
Guru
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadingManiac View Post
Intriguing title, how good was it?
Pretty good! It kept me entertained throughout and it did get a bit dark at times.
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:23 PM   #26930
CRussel
Grand Sorcerer
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage,Kindle PW, Fire HD 8.9, Fire HD8
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Now reading Troublemaker, by Joseph Hansen. This is the third Dave Brandstetter mystery, and I am quite enjoying rediscovering these books after so many years. They have stood up well.
Well, even for Mr. Hansen, this was a bit convoluted! Seriously, the weakest of the three, with too many characters and too many red herrings. OTOH, I still enjoyed it, and I still want to read the next, so I guess that makes it a solid 3 stars.

Next up, a bunch of Liaden shorter works. I haven't got time to focus on anything new, and falling back into a wonderful old friend just feels right.
CRussel is online now   Reply With Quote