Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-21-2018, 04:12 PM   #1
arl40
arl40 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle app and PC + Sony
how to download a book on Kindle pc to read it in Sony device

I, I have a book I bought on Amazon and I can read it on my pc with the Kindle app in my pc but i want to read it on my Sony device. How can I do it??

Thanks
arl40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 05:10 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
In simple terms, provided it's not fixed layout and your version of K4PC isn't downloading in KFX format, download the book to K4PC and use Calibre to convert to ePub (assuming Sony Device is a Sony reader).

In more complex terms. Make sure your version of K4PC is either old enough to not download KFX format or has been "fixed" to not do so.

Download the book (the file should be in Documents/My Kindle Content)

Copy the file into Calibre and convert to ePub. If the book has DRM it will need to be removed. Posting specifics on doing so is not allowed here, but you can Google Apprentice Alf's blog for help.

Of course that's assuming the book is a Mobi or KF8 format book. If the book you're wanting to convert is fixed layout then all bets are off. If the book you want to convert is in Topaz format some different steps will need to be taken. If it's a print replica book then it's really a PDF in a "Kindle wrapper".
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 04:25 PM   #3
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by arl40 View Post
I, I have a book I bought on Amazon and I can read it on my pc with the Kindle app in my pc but i want to read it on my Sony device. How can I do it??
As Anemic Oak mentioned, you'll need Calibre and its DeDRM plugin. I don't use the Kindle App on the PC (since I use Linux) but I recently converted about 130 Kindle books for reading on my Sony devices, using one of my Kindles to move the files to Calibre. Calibre makes it easy. I've embedded Constantia into the ePubs and it's a very clear, dark and readable font on the Sonys.

Alternately, if you're going to be buying books on Amazon regularly, you might want to pick up a cheap (older) Kindle eReader. You should be able to find one at Shop Goodwill for about $20 (including s/h) – or even on Amazon for about $30.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 05:54 PM   #4
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Alternately, if you're going to be buying books on Amazon regularly, you might want to pick up a cheap (older) Kindle eReader. You should be able to find one at Shop Goodwill for about $20 (including s/h) – or even on Amazon for about $30.
+1, even if you don't want to use it as an ereader.

Once it is registered to your Amazon Kindle account, you will gain the ability to "Download to PC for transfer" from Amazon's site. This avoids the KFX issue, though the other issues remain and the "fixes" are the same.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 02:55 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwig View Post
+1, even if you don't want to use it as an ereader.

Once it is registered to your Amazon Kindle account, you will gain the ability to "Download to PC for transfer" from Amazon's site. This avoids the KFX issue, though the other issues remain and the "fixes" are the same.
I think personally that using K4PC is a lot easier, because you can transfer several books at once. Using "Transfer via PC" you have to do them one at a time.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote