Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 02-18-2018, 02:58 PM   #1
lidocayne
lidocayne began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Setup Question - Synology + Pi

Hello! Longtime Calibre user here. I was hoping someone might be able to help with a solution that seems to be eluding me.

My current setup is Calibre running on a desktop machine in my attic, with my ebooks stored on a Synology NAS. My goal is to get rid of the desktop machine.

In my searching, it seems there is no way to get Calibre to run on the Synology NAS (this would be the ideal solution) - if this exists and I just missed it, please let me know!

Another option which I'm hoping someone here can help with is this: What if I could run Calibre as a headless auto-booting dedicated service on a Raspberry Pi 3 Model B, which would use the NAS storage for the library still? Is this an option?

One of the concerns I have is the frequent Calibre updates. It would be great if there could be a way to have the program check nightly at a designated time for updates, and if there is one present, auto download and install.

I have NO idea if this scenario is a pie-in-the-sky option, or there's the possibility it could work. Any direction or thoughts are MUCH appreciated!

Thank you again!
lidocayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 03:02 PM   #2
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Thinkpad E595, Ubuntu Mate, Huawei Mediapad 5, Bouye Likebook Plus
Look at this:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=267302
Adoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 07:29 PM   #3
lidocayne

Thank you! Did you successfully set this up? I got it to run within the container, but there's user permission issues within the container that seem to prevent being able to see the books added in the Synology.

Thank you again!
Old 02-18-2018, 09:00 PM   #4
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

No, I don't know more than you do about it.

I am thinking of scrapping (or only use for backups) my feeble Synology 411j NAS, 4x8TB, and instead build a small Linux server using an old PC and an extra SATA card and a lot of HDDs. And use it as a NAS and to run VMs and Docker and so on.
Old 02-20-2018, 12:21 AM   #5
lidocayne

Well after a few hours of fumbling, I got it to work! It's perfect!

Thank you so much for pointing me in the right direction. Docker with Calibre allows me to completely get rid of a desktop box that was doing nothing before... Fantastic!

Thank you again!
Old 02-20-2018, 07:09 AM   #6
Adoby
Handy Elephant

Good to hear.

Please consider adding a post to the other thread and tell there about what you achieved and how you did it. And name of your NAS and so on. It may be helpful for others.

And give thanks there, where it is due...

Last edited by Adoby; 02-20-2018 at 07:11 AM.