Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 04-24-2019, 12:24 PM   #31
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, iPhone 13 Pro Max, iPad mini 6, iPad Air 2020, Alexa Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollowpoint View Post
LOL, you know, somebody should build a slim case for the AP1--I already see a host of aftermarket cases--that does exactly what you suggest. This would be such a simple, elegant solution. That way you could do really practical things like, oh, storing your AP1 in a zippered side pocket of the same case that you store your Ipad, without worrying about it trying to reconnect and drain the battery.
The AP1 application is probably too small of a market, but there is a fairly large market for something similar in wallets these days. There are wallets on the market which advertise their ability to block the transmission of information between newer chipped credit/bank cards and a thief's hidden card scanner. The idea is to prevent a thief from walking near you in public and secretly scanning the chip on your cards in your wallet from a distance safely large enough so s/he remains undetected. Do they work? No clue, but in theory they could if constructed properly. Do you need one? Again no clue. But it sounds scary so a lot of people might buy one without researching if there is a true need for one.
OtinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 11:39 AM   #32
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Perhaps wrapping it in aluminum foil would suffice to break BT connection. At least easy to test!

Another easy test: take AP1 and move it 60 feet or so away from the iPad. Does that make it require re-pairing?

That said, if you have to re-pair each time, it creates enough friction that you might find yourself using it less often.

Logitech Crayon is probably worth considering as well. Pairs instantly with compatible iPads and you can just charge with Lightning cable + charger. Also it won’t roll off a table, cap over port is attached. No pressure-sensitivity etc but for many applications that’s not important.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-25-2019, 11:57 AM   #33
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You probably don't have to move it nearly as far as 60 feet away. I've seen mine lose connection when it is less than 5 feet away. One time I check the iPad to see if it is connected and it is, the next time it isn't, the next time it is again. So obviously it doesn't have the ability for longer range BT. Perhaps the AP1 BT antenna is poor, or perhaps Apple designed it to only work in close proximity. I don't have any BT connectivity issues with any other BT devices, so it does seem to be a fault, or design feature, issue with the AP1. If I ever need to replace it I will certainly research 3rd party alternatives. It seems like a smart design feature would have been to include an ON/OFF switch on the AP1 to disconnect BT and conserve battery charge when not in use, and to have not required us to plug it into the iPad lightning port to reconnect it to BT. Here lately Apple seems to have mush for brains as they place form way over function more often than not.

Last edited by OtinG; 04-25-2019 at 12:16 PM.
Old 04-25-2019, 01:24 PM   #34
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Perhaps wrapping it in aluminum foil would suffice to break BT connection. At least easy to test!

Another easy test: take AP1 and move it 60 feet or so away from the iPad. Does that make it require re-pairing?

That said, if you have to re-pair each time, it creates enough friction that you might find yourself using it less often.

Logitech Crayon is probably worth considering as well. Pairs instantly with compatible iPads and you can just charge with Lightning cable + charger. Also it won’t roll off a table, cap over port is attached. No pressure-sensitivity etc but for many applications that’s not important.
Well you can charge the Apple Pencil with a lighting cable too. You just have to use the included adapter.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 04:25 PM   #35
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylrob View Post
Well you can charge the Apple Pencil with a lighting cable too. You just have to use the included adapter.
And that is exactly the problem: you have to carry the adapter around too. No convenient way to do that apart from a separate case for that purpose (I prefer holder built in to iPad case).

Before I even got my AP1, I bought this little silicon holder thing for it that attaches to the Pencil but it was so ugly and awkward I never actually used it. So the adapter remains in the box that Pencil came from and I’ve never used it either.

Well, it is not so bad, given how little time it takes to charge. And I’m happy that the AP1 I have will work with iPad mini when I get around to buying one.

Crayon seems a bit more reasonable in terms of pairing and charging, but it only works with latest generation iPads, and it does not have all the functionality of AP1.

AP2 is more ‘seamless’ (charging ports, no cap to lose) but of course that needs iPad Pro latest generation. And does not work with Qi charging standard.
Advert
Old 04-25-2019, 05:25 PM   #36
hollowpoint
Groupie
hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Mini, Kindle PW5, Libra 2
Couple of attachments have been useful for AP1, highlighted. Makes it easy to keep the whole kit together and use the same cable for the Mini and the AP1.

hollowpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 10:52 AM   #37
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy

Here is my AP1 and its charging base. This works great for at home use. I rarely take the AP1 or my iPad when I leave the house.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AP1-charger.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	327.9 KB
ID:	170934  
Old 04-26-2019, 12:09 PM   #38
hollowpoint
Groupie
hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ooooo....sorry switching subjects on ya. I like that Anker phone charger. Is that one of those with the internal cooling fan? How's that working out?
Old 04-26-2019, 12:41 PM   #39
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollowpoint View Post
Ooooo....sorry switching subjects on ya. I like that Anker phone charger. Is that one of those with the internal cooling fan? How's that working out?
This model is the less expensive one that doesn't have the fan and it uses a standard USB mini-b cable rather than the faster more expensive models that use the newer USC-C cable. I did a lot of research and found that all the testing seems to show that the so-called fast chargers with the USB-C only charge a fraction faster. To recharge a new iPhone from 10% battery level to 100% takes nearly as long as the USB mini-b models. You would save maybe 15 minutes out of 2 or 3 hours. Not worth the extra money nor the added heat caused by the higher wattage used in the USB-C models.

Mine charges fast enough. I typically place my iPhone XR on it when I go to bed, so it has all night to charge anyway, so no rush. I keep my iPhone in a Otterbox Defender case, and it still works very well to charge it even in that big case. It is really nice not to have to plug a cable into the iPhone's lightning port to charge. The unit stays fairly cool and does a good job. I use the iPhone as an alarm clock at night.

ETA: I use the standard iPad 12 watt power supply to power the Anker charger. That is overkill because the charger will only use a maximum of 10 watts with a few Android phones and it will only use 7.5 watts with the newer iPhones.

Last edited by OtinG; 04-26-2019 at 01:37 PM.
Old 04-26-2019, 02:22 PM   #40
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Silicon appendages for API1 don’t appeal to me; I prefer iPad case with pen holder so I’m never without it when I want to use it (I travel a lot).

Yes, love wireless charging.
Old 04-26-2019, 06:12 PM   #41
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy

I use the silicon case/cover because the AP1 is too thin and slick to comfortably hold and use due to the really bad arthritis in my hand. Otherwise I probably wouldn’t use one.
Old 04-26-2019, 09:32 PM   #42
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtinG View Post
I use the silicon case/cover because the AP1 is too thin and slick to comfortably hold and use due to the really bad arthritis in my hand. Otherwise I probably wouldn’t use one.
Yes, that looks comfortable - my wife (RA damage) has some foam things she sometimes uses with regular pens to make them easier to grip with less effort.
Old 04-27-2019, 10:00 AM   #43
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Yes, that looks comfortable - my wife (RA damage) has some foam things she sometimes uses with regular pens to make them easier to grip with less effort.
All my life I heard the phrase "second childhood" applied to the elderly, usually in gist. But being in my 60s now I can see how it is true to certain extent. For example, I remember when I started 1st grade public schools back in 1964, my town didn't have Kindergarten much less Pre-K back then, we children all had those really fat pencils about 1/2" in diameter because those were much more controllable with our stubby little 6-year old hands. The standard, thin pencils were just too thin for a 6-year old. Now I've come full circle due to my RA and OA. It also means I have to put a thick case on super thin smartphones and tablets too.
Old 04-27-2019, 11:18 AM   #44
hollowpoint
Groupie

Quote:
Yes if I could redesign the AP with my ideal specs, it would be shorter, thicker, more grippy, and like some versions of the Samsung Galaxy Note pen, would not require charging at all.
Old 04-27-2019, 01:44 PM   #45
romad
U.S. Air Force, Retired
romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: iPad Mini 5 & Mini 6
Quote:
Apple design has emphasized form over function for a long time now. IMO that sux!
You can thank Jony Ive for that! He is a great HARDWARE designer but ever since he was also put in charge of software, usability has gone down. Apple needs to strip software responsibility/oversight from him and let him concentrate on hardware.
romad is offline   Reply With Quote