Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 07-06-2019, 04:52 PM   #42361
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Hi:

Yeah, but y'know...you know what it's like, pretty much, to be "owned" by a small business. Granted, it's your parents' but still. There's ALWAYS something to be done. This week, I've been plowing through our 22,000 font faces, getting them reorganized. Recreating a file repository, for the clients and the downloads we give 'em, etc. There's just no getting away with a single day off that's fine, or during which you can NOT think about everything you're NOT doing, y'know? At least, I never seem to be able to turn that off.

Hitch
I know. But you do need to take time for yourself or else you burn out. I have my reading and arts and crafts. My father plays billiards twice a week. Just find something to do for yourself, even if it's just a couple of hours a week or 15 minutes a day. I find that arts and crafts work best for me not to think about the store, or the Family Thing. I put some music or a podcast on, get my supplies out and just create. It really helps calm me down. I'm trying to get myself to do it every day, even if it's just a 15 minute sketch or doodle, but I'm not there yet.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 01:48 AM   #42362
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpelteazer View Post
I know. But you do need to take time for yourself or else you burn out. I have my reading and arts and crafts. My father plays billiards twice a week. Just find something to do for yourself, even if it's just a couple of hours a week or 15 minutes a day. I find that arts and crafts work best for me not to think about the store, or the Family Thing. I put some music or a podcast on, get my supplies out and just create. It really helps calm me down. I'm trying to get myself to do it every day, even if it's just a 15 minute sketch or doodle, but I'm not there yet.
I know. It's just not how I roll, as they say. Tightly wrapped, apparently.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 09:11 AM   #42363
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Waiting for the pasta to cool, then I can start chopping and adding the other ingredients for pasta salad.
Old 07-11-2019, 11:38 AM   #42364
5thWiggleWife
I’m a Happy Boy!
5thWiggleWife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggleWife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggleWife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggleWife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggleWife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggleWife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggleWife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggleWife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggleWife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggleWife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggleWife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2017, Acer A500, Kobo Glo, iPad mini
Pretending to work.
5thWiggleWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 12:51 PM   #42365
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Attempting to start Hardy Hibiscus cuttings. Lord Baltimore and Peppermint Flare.

(I'll need a lot of luck. The only thing I've even been able to root from cuttings is a salvia. . .)
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 05:27 AM   #42366
timebug
Ancient Sage
timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Reader
Calculating how to best stow equipment in a small van, that I am going camping in very soon! Plenty of load space but equally plenty of camping gear!
timebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 02:58 AM   #42367
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer

Making a shopping list. I still need to get some items for my sister's birthday present and I need to get a three protective covers for kitchen knives (which I want to bring with me when I'm going house sitting from next week).
Old 07-18-2019, 03:49 PM   #42368
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Finding out if I can make it out of Seattle DCI with my sanity.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 07:05 PM   #42369
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Do you have an export permit?
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 07:34 AM   #42370
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer

I just ordered a Kobo Clara HD and a sleep case. The store has the Kobo in stock, but not the case. But the can have both tomorrow. The store is en route between my friends' place, where I'm goung house sitting from tomorrow, and my sister's place, who is celebrating her birthday tomorrow afternoon. So I can stop by on the way back.

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk
Old 07-22-2019, 03:49 PM   #42371
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer

Weird habit:

when house sitting for friends in summer I like to watch the UK ghost hunting series Most Haunted before going to sleep. It's sort of a guilty pleasure, I fully admit I like watching ghost haunting tv programs, but Most Haunted is just so, to use a British term, naff (the first definition of the word).

I also seem to read a long(er) historical novel during those weeks. I just started the second book in the Matthew Corbett series by Robert McCammon.

During vacations I like to read horror novels, though the last couple of years I've been reading more and more of those in general.

I used to reread Stephen King's It every summer, though since I've gotten an ereader and more easy access to books I like I've read It just once.

It funny how a certain time of the year, place or situation comes with a certain habit/ritual.
Old 07-27-2019, 12:12 PM   #42372
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer

It's always nice when a gift you give is well received.

The dog I'm looking after at the moment is a chewer. The only toy she has yet managed to chew to bits is the Kong toy I bought for my friends' fist dog (Keira is their 3rd). I know that Kong makes balls from the same material so I ordered one. I brought it with me today and made the mistake of giving it to her before we went for a walk because she was deeply disappointed that she wasn't allowed to bring the ball with her.

I ordered the medium/large size and it's a little on the big side for her; she keeps dropping it, but since it's very bouncy she seems to think that makes it extra fun.
Old 07-29-2019, 11:08 AM   #42373
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer

For a little while last year I kept a book journal. Not just a list of books read, but thoughts and observations of all books I read. I stopped after a while because I didn't like the Moleskine notebook I used. I loved the dotted grid interior, but it was too narrow for my liking.

I wanted to get a new notebook, but never did. Yesterday I came across the Leuchtturm 1917 bullet journal online somewhere and realized that I could use it as a book journal. It's got index pages and a future log at the beginning. The latter I will use to write down books, authors and series I want to check out. After that I keep a list for my active series. And then I have over 200 pages for my notes. I like the A5 size and hardback cover, whilst i can fold the cover back like with my Moleskine notebook it is more sturdy and thus more easily to write in when not having a surface to put the notebook on.

To treat myself I also got a Lamy Safari fountain pen, which is pure nostalgia for me; all Dutch children of my age got a Lamy ABC pen in primary school. I also got a converter cartridge and two different colours of bottled ink, because regular black, blue or red is just boring. Online I ordered an extra fine nib, since my scrapbook store, where I got all my new goodies, only stocks calligraphy nibs.

I've just set the bullet journal up, and I like it. What better book to start the journal with than my favourite: Stephen King's It.
Old 07-29-2019, 03:26 PM   #42374
5thWiggleWife
I’m a Happy Boy!
5thWiggleWife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggleWife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggleWife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggleWife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggleWife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggleWife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggleWife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggleWife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggleWife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggleWife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggleWife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2017, Acer A500, Kobo Glo, iPad mini
Drinking wine, listening to Jesse Cook and watching the storm over the lake.
5thWiggleWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 04:56 PM   #42375
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpelteazer View Post
For a little while last year I kept a book journal. Not just a list of books read, but thoughts and observations of all books I read. I stopped after a while because I didn't like the Moleskine notebook I used. I loved the dotted grid interior, but it was too narrow for my liking.

I wanted to get a new notebook, but never did. Yesterday I came across the Leuchtturm 1917 bullet journal online somewhere and realized that I could use it as a book journal. It's got index pages and a future log at the beginning. The latter I will use to write down books, authors and series I want to check out. After that I keep a list for my active series. And then I have over 200 pages for my notes. I like the A5 size and hardback cover, whilst i can fold the cover back like with my Moleskine notebook it is more sturdy and thus more easily to write in when not having a surface to put the notebook on.

To treat myself I also got a Lamy Safari fountain pen, which is pure nostalgia for me; all Dutch children of my age got a Lamy ABC pen in primary school. I also got a converter cartridge and two different colours of bottled ink, because regular black, blue or red is just boring. Online I ordered an extra fine nib, since my scrapbook store, where I got all my new goodies, only stocks calligraphy nibs.

I've just set the bullet journal up, and I like it. What better book to start the journal with than my favourite: Stephen King's It.
I started out bullet journaling 6 years ago when the notion was first kicked off. I kickstarted the little system (came with some PDFs of suggested set-ups, symbols, etc). My style has evolved to fully fit me now. My wife mentioned in passing that my books look more like a traditional commonplace book with a bullet journal's minimalism. I start my day reviewing my tasks and I end my day creating tomorrow's tasks. In between, I write about every book I read, paste things that catch my fancy, take meeting notes, and just generally use it to keep whatever I need to hand.

Were I a writer, I would be called to mind of Joan Didion's "On Keeping a Notebook." As it is, I would not know what to do without my book. And I use Lamy Safari's to write in it

I started using Lamy's for grading papers when I was a professor because I used so much ink. Then pens were so comfortable that it stuck for me. Good, inexpensive, tons of ink options.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
android, banana bread - yummy, bread machines, drunk college student, duck!, hooters, how to make apple butter, how to make cream soda, invasion of privacy, liquid eyeliner, plockhoy, spice trade, thread that never ends, unutterable silliness, wait, what?