Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-01-2011, 03:13 PM   #31
Jeton
Enthusiast
Jeton began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
I'm curios.
Since Instapaper offers an option to download .mobi files from instapaper.com, but I always download it in the computer, could this hack enable me to download the .mobi files straight from my Kindle3 by visiting instapaper.com ?

Edit:Answering my own question.
Yes! It downloads the .mobi and goes straight into your homescreen. This is incredibly convenient! I'm not sure if it's native in Kindle or this hack enabled it tough, but I think it has to do with the hack.

Last edited by Jeton; 03-01-2011 at 03:57 PM.
Jeton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 12:33 AM   #32
kranu
I <3 my Kindle
kranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: Kindle 3G + WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeton View Post
I'm curios.
Since Instapaper offers an option to download .mobi files from instapaper.com, but I always download it in the computer, could this hack enable me to download the .mobi files straight from my Kindle3 by visiting instapaper.com ?

Edit:Answering my own question.
Yes! It downloads the .mobi and goes straight into your homescreen. This is incredibly convenient! I'm not sure if it's native in Kindle or this hack enabled it tough, but I think it has to do with the hack.
Kindle already lets you download .mobi (and several other formats) from the web browser. The free downloads hack allows you to download other file types such as PDF.
kranu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-08-2011, 12:07 AM   #33
jeromedevine
Zealot
jeromedevine doesn't litterjeromedevine doesn't litterjeromedevine doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3 3G Graphite, Sony PRS-505
/deleted by author

Last edited by jeromedevine; 03-08-2011 at 10:05 AM.
jeromedevine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 02:12 AM   #34
kranu
I <3 my Kindle
kranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: Kindle 3G + WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeromedevine View Post
Are you sure kranu? Are you certain, because you have been mistaken a lot recently.
You've only pointed out one mistake in terms of information.

P.S. If you're going to insult my spelling/grammar, at least check your own.
kranu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 08:49 PM   #35
otichy
Connoisseur
otichy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!otichy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!otichy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!otichy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!otichy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!otichy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!otichy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!otichy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!otichy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!otichy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!otichy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: KPW
Installed again on FW 3.1 and seems to work fine, previous problems might have been due to some of my wilder changes in the network settings. Good job!
otichy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-22-2011, 08:58 AM   #36
ebooksfans
ebooksfans is faster than slow light.ebooksfans is faster than slow light.ebooksfans is faster than slow light.ebooksfans is faster than slow light.ebooksfans is faster than slow light.ebooksfans is faster than slow light.ebooksfans is faster than slow light.ebooksfans is faster than slow light.ebooksfans is faster than slow light.ebooksfans is faster than slow light.ebooksfans is faster than slow light.

Device: kindle 3
now work on my kindle 3g.
ebooksfans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 02:20 AM   #37
Tanga
Zealot
Tanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmid View Post
When I properly fix the issues with user store access, I'll implement this feature. Stay tuned.
Hi!

Thanks for the hack.

Is there a change I can make so that Interactive fiction files (z.3 or or z.4 or z.5 or z.6 or z.8) are sent to the /mnt/us/developer/kif/work folder? That way I can download the games I want to play in KIF and play them straight away without a computer.

EDIT: Actually the z? files won't download at all. Any chance of adding them to your next update?

Here's a page with some z? downloads:
http://www.ifarchive.org/indexes/if-...mesXzcode.html

EDIT2: Sorry - I read the first page again and change the freedownload.conf file and added in ogg for music (I'm using MPlayer) and the z? extensions thus:

Code:
DOWNLOAD_DIR_ogg=music

# Where should FreeDownload put files with 'z?' extension ? The directory will be created if not present
# You can specify own download directory for any extension in a similar way
DOWNLOAD_DIR_z3=/mnt/us/developer/kif/work
DOWNLOAD_DIR_z4=/mnt/us/developer/kif/work
DOWNLOAD_DIR_z5=/mnt/us/developer/kif/work
DOWNLOAD_DIR_z6=/mnt/us/developer/kif/work
DOWNLOAD_DIR_z8=/mnt/us/developer/kif/work
and changed the allow line thus:
Code:
ALLOWED_EXTENSIONS='pdf epub rtf zip cbz mp3 ogg z3 z4 z5 z6 z8'
And it all works! What an awesome hack. Thank-you!

Last edited by Tanga; 03-26-2011 at 03:09 AM.
Tanga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 06:01 PM   #38
Mike's Place
Pull up a chair
Mike's Place doesn't litterMike's Place doesn't litter

Device: PRS-505
Dsmid, I'm having challenges getting freedownload .3 to work at all so I'm probably misunderstanding how to install it and what it does.

1. I have a Kindle DX Graphite, so there is no WiFi, only 3G. Can I download PDFs via the Kindle browser over 3G with freedownload? If not, is there any way to download PDFs to my DX via the internal browser?

2. To install, I downloaded the freedownload 0.3 zip to my computer, unzipped it and copied the "update_freedownload_0.3_dxg_install.bin" to the root directory of my Kindle DX G over USB. On my Kindle, I went to the settings page via the menu button, hit the menu button a second time and chose "Update Your Kindle". The update was successful, but I still could not download PDFs. I tried doing a restart, but this didn't help.

Thanks, Mike
Mike's Place is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 06:07 AM   #39
dsmid
Linux devotee
dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 4B, Kindle PW2
I'm sorry Mike, FreeDownload does not work over 3G
dsmid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 01:35 PM   #40
Mario1up
Connoisseur
Mario1up has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mario1up has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mario1up has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mario1up has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3/G
Hey dsmid, I have to say I love this hack. It's useful and works very well; thanks for it!

I wanted to alert you that downloads from Google books do not work, for some reason. Take Treasure Island for example. I browse there on my Kindle, click download, PDF, and enter the code. The browser says it could not be downloaded, but FreeDownload does not download it. There's nothing in the log (I have logging enabled, it showed other downloaded files fine). No error, just nothing. (EDIT: Forgot to say, I have the config set correctly. I can download PDF's from other sites with no problems.)

I have a Kindle 3 with 3G, firmware 3.1, FreeDownload 0.3, jailbreak 0.4, and screensaver hack 0.18. Think you can make Google Books work?

Last edited by Mario1up; 03-30-2011 at 02:01 PM.
Mario1up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 01:38 AM   #41
dsmid
Linux devotee
dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario1up View Post
Think you can make Google Books work?
I probably could, but Google doesn't let me to test:

Although you're welcome to read about Google eBooks, please note that Google eBooks are only available for sale to customers in the U.S. at this time.

Could you send me the direct link to PDF ?
Old 03-31-2011, 07:29 AM   #42
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
Well, just guessing here, but I think the hack will fail in situations where either a cookie needs to be present (as regularly the case for login-based sites) or the website expects form data to be sent via a POST request. Also I think it might not catch cases where the URL in question does not indicate the type of the data - e.g. downloads that set filenames with "Content-Disposition" HTTP headers.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 07:50 AM   #43
dsmid
Linux devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawhill View Post
Also I think it might not catch cases where the URL in question does not indicate the type of the data - e.g. downloads that set filenames with "Content-Disposition" HTTP headers.
Yes, some links look like this: http://site.com/get.cgi?id=12345 - they don't end with expected extension.
I guess this is the problem with Google Books. I could add a sed formula option for converting such URIs to filenames.
Unfortunately, the curl binary installed on Kindle doesn't recognize --remote-header-name option. Maybe I'll compile my own executable.
Old 04-02-2011, 06:39 PM   #44
Mario1up
Connoisseur
Mario1up has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mario1up has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mario1up has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mario1up has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3/G
Sorry I forgot to get back to you. I've tried getting the direct PDF URL, but I can't seem to find it. The download page gives you a captcha and a submit button, but no matter what I download it with it does not show the actual PDF link, just the referrer URL.

You don't need to buy the book, it's free. Perhaps you clicked the wrong thing? Here is the direct link to the PDF download page of Treasure Island: Link
Mario1up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 05:01 AM   #45
dsmid
Linux devotee

Unfortunately, Google doesn't let you download ANY book if you don't qualify as a Yankee for some reason.
We're simply out of luck in these parts of the world.

Tags
hacks