Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-01-2012, 12:48 PM   #1
BarryR
Connoisseur
BarryR doesn't litterBarryR doesn't litter

Device: Color Nook
Can I search Overdrive and exclude samples

When I try to browse my library's ebooks I get a ton of sample books listed.
If I wanted samples, I'd just to to Amazon's website.

I don't see a way to exclude samples from the search.

Any ideas?
BarryR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 01:18 PM   #2
jmilica
Banned
jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle KB, Kindle PW
have you tried searching here
http://search.overdrive.com/classic/
jmilica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 01:35 PM   #3
BarryR
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmilica View Post
have you tried searching here
http://search.overdrive.com/classic/
Thanks, but how do I exclude samples?
Old 12-01-2012, 11:45 PM   #4
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
Our library has these options on the Advanced Search:

Display:
[ ] Library Collection
[ ] Available Now
[ ] Additional Titles

Choose Library Collection, if you have these options. You could also do Available Now if the library doesn't have the Library Collection option, but that will exclude both samples and books that are checked out.
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 08:57 AM   #5
BarryR
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joykins View Post
Our library has these options on the Advanced Search:

Display:
[ ] Library Collection
[ ] Available Now
[ ] Additional Titles

Choose Library Collection, if you have these options. You could also do Available Now if the library doesn't have the Library Collection option, but that will exclude both samples and books that are checked out.
I tried that at the Boston Public Library website and it does show samples both for "Library Collection" and "Available Now"!
Old 12-02-2012, 09:41 AM   #6
Loosheesh
Wizard
Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW1, PW5, iPhone SE 2016, iPhone 13 Pro, iPad Pro 9.7, iPad Pro 2021
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryR View Post
I tried that at the Boston Public Library website and it does show samples both for "Library Collection" and "Available Now"!
Maybe I'm wrong but the books are not samples but the label is an indicator of books that have samples available, should you wish to see what's inside before you check it out. Sort of like Amazon's Kindle ebook samples. At least, that's what I think it is.
Loosheesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 02:52 PM   #7
BarryR
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loosheesh View Post
Maybe I'm wrong but the books are not samples but the label is an indicator of books that have samples available, should you wish to see what's inside before you check it out. Sort of like Amazon's Kindle ebook samples. At least, that's what I think it is.
Boy do I feel silly now!
That explains it
Also explains why a google search for this problem got me nowhere. It was an imaginary problem!

Thanks!
Old 12-02-2012, 05:07 PM   #8
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I like problems that are solved by an explanation as opposed to days and days of lost productivity to tech support
Old 12-03-2012, 07:00 AM   #9
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryR View Post
The so-called search in the Overdrive software is the worst I've ever seen.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 05:41 PM   #10
Joykins
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
The so-called search in the Overdrive software is the worst I've ever seen.
I have seen much worse; our public library's catalog and ebookfling to name 2 off the top of my head. You'd *think* that libraries would have better searching because that it what they are supposed to do, but no.
Old 12-03-2012, 05:52 PM   #11
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joykins View Post
I have seen much worse; our public library's catalog and ebookfling to name 2 off the top of my head. You'd *think* that libraries would have better searching because that it what they are supposed to do, but no.
Thanks for the commiseration.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 07:29 PM   #12
Joykins
Wizard

this is why I can still make money in the information service biz, on the other hand. With free, you apparently get what you pay for...
Old 12-03-2012, 07:31 PM   #13
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
What I also hate is that, in advanced search, you have to and can select only one: epub, kindle, mp3. What if I don't care about the format at all, or would like to see all audiobooks (mp3 and wav)? And for some reason, sorting by "added to site" never works for me.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote