Notices

Old 11-28-2020, 05:59 PM   #1
PapaQuebec
PapaQuebec began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, Kindle Paperwhite 4,Samsung Tab S,
Location in book and page numbers

Hello all

Here's something that has me completely fluthered:

I have two Kindles - an Oasis 2 and a Paperwhite 4. I keep the Oasis for home use and - due to it's smaller size - the Paperwhite often gets carried around in my pocket.

I have recently discovered that whilst I prefer books to display page numbers some of my books will only show the location in the book, but - and here's the rub these are the same titles, imported directly to the eReaders from Calibre, often within a minute or two of each other.

Both Kindles are running the latest firmware

Any ideas?

Thanks
PapaQuebec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 07:35 PM   #2
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
The Kindle MOBI and KF8 (azw3) formats use a separate .apnx file to support page numbers. If you manually copy a book to a Kindle device this file will be missing and page numbers will not be present.

Calibre can create and transfer this file when sends a book to a Kindle device. Select the device configuration option "Send page number information when sending books" to enable this feature.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 03:22 PM   #3
PapaQuebec
PapaQuebec began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, Kindle Paperwhite 4,Samsung Tab S,
Thanks for the prompt reply. I'm aware of the page number setting in Calibre and it's always set to "on"

My issue is that often the exactly same book will display page numbers on one device but not on another.

Here's my standard procedure for processing books in my library:

Purchase item from Amazon and download using Kindle PC app 1.17 or earlier

Import into Epubor DRM Removal application (not for reasons of piracy, but because I sometimes read books on my phone or tablet using FBReader)

Import to Calibre and re-convert to .azw3 (to embed Tahoma font) then delete original .azw3

Plug in eReaders in turn and export books

Identical procedure for every device, yet sometimes page numbers are unavailable

Strange
PapaQuebec is offline   Reply With Quote