Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-15-2022, 09:11 AM   #736
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Sometimes an earlier position.
It can be some sort of crash rather than corrupted database? I don't think position is updated on every page turn.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 09:15 AM   #737
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
It can be some sort of crash rather than corrupted database? I don't think position is updated on every page turn.
From my experience, it seems that reading position saves when going back to the main menu. There's probably other triggers as well.

It can happen when the database/partition gets mounted as read-only for whatever reason; I occasionally ran into this after a dirty unmount. Thankfully the db isn't damaged so a reboot will fix it.

Last edited by ownedbycats; 04-15-2022 at 09:17 AM.
ownedbycats is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 09:17 AM   #738
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
I’d imagine it isn’t saved at every turn, but certain events do save such as closing the book or sleeping the device. Even if it’s every page if the crash happens before the save process you’d see a loss. Hopefully 4.32 reduces or eliminates this as well.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 09:19 AM   #739
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Not at every turn; I can confirm this because my Aura HD occasionally froze up and had to be force-rebooted. The reading position usually jumped back to where it was the last time I exited to main menu.
ownedbycats is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 09:40 AM   #740
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
Pretty sure that the place losing one is related to database corruption as those are generally linked.

As to the page turning that was around prior to 4.31 and in my experience happens less under 4.31 compared to previous firmware versions.
Good to know, I'm still on 4.30.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 10:44 AM   #741
Laen
Laen began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Is there a Problem with the Update?
Because On my Kobo Glo no now reading cover is change and on the Homescreen the last 4 Books in Reading are not show anymore
Laen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 10:56 AM   #742
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laen View Post
Is there a Problem with the Update?
Because On my Kobo Glo no now reading cover is change and on the Homescreen the last 4 Books in Reading are not show anymore
Many problems with 4.31. But there is a 4.32 now available that you should install. Do so manually if you cannot get it via WiFi.

Here is the link to where you can download the 4.32 firmware.
https://pgaskin.net/KoboStuff/kobofirmware.html
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 11:06 AM   #743
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
Yep, not rushing into this one...
Not rushing into 4.32, or skipping 4.31?

I just installed 4.31 because there hadn't been an update for some weeks, so I assumed everything was fine. (I don't see any problems on the KA1 up until now, but I didn't put any new books on it yet, and it has no buttons, so I shouldn't have encountered the two sources of bugs in 4.31 it seems.)
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 11:17 AM   #744
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post

I just installed 4.31 because there hadn't been an update for some weeks, so I assumed everything was fine. (I don't see any problems on the KA1 up until now, but I didn't put any new books on it yet, and it has no buttons, so I shouldn't have encountered the two sources of bugs in 4.31 it seems.)
The Sage button bug is much older than 4.31. If anything, 4.31 improved it. And the Libra 2 has not had any bugs with buttons AFAIK.

The main issues with 4.31 were crashes and database corruptions when sideloading. The Libra 2 tended to freeze and crash when doing several things in quick successsion (like switching fonts, searching etc), but again this was older than 4.31.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 11:18 AM   #745
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

I'd have done a manual install of 4.32 and skipped 4.31. Which is just what I will do when the patches are done.
Old 04-15-2022, 12:02 PM   #746
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:

Oh yeah I'm already avoiding 4.31 after multiple database corruptions using it. I'm just not rushing headlong to go from .30 to .32, until there are a few more reports confirming that those issues have likely been fixed.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 02:50 PM   #747
Laen

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Many problems with 4.31. But there is a 4.32 now available that you should install. Do so manually if you cannot get it via WiFi.

Here is the link to where you can download the 4.32 firmware.
https://pgaskin.net/KoboStuff/kobofirmware.html
i have it now installed but no change.
I think i muss install all new.
Can it be that the intern card is too large?
Old 04-15-2022, 03:07 PM   #748
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laen View Post
i have it now installed but no change.
I think i muss install all new.
Can it be that the intern card is too large?
Do you have 4.31 or 4.32? 4.31 is buggy for sure.
Old 04-15-2022, 04:31 PM   #749
Laen

i had first 4.30 then to 4.31 but then the errors are there what i wrote.
Then im back to 4.30 and know 4.32.

All is since i put the intern from 64GB to 128GB because that was 2 Days ago before i update to 4.31 today.

I make at the moment a Backup of all books to make a full reset of the kobo glo
Old 04-15-2022, 08:44 PM   #750
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
Place-losing—is that when you read a book but when you go back to the main menu it doesn't save the position? Could be the db is corrupted, but it can also happen if the Kobo gets stuck in read-only and can't write to the db. Related to the dirty unmount problem but I wouldn't be surprised if something else could trigger it.
Well, I have explained this more than once in this thread. But...

Sometimes when you got the Windows check message, when you disconnected the device, it would remount the filesystem as readonly. Then, it could not update the database. So any actions that needed to be recorded were not. Connecting to the PC again sometimes fixed this. But, rebooting always fixed it. But, in both cases you would lose any reading status changes while the file system was mounted read only.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
firmware, firmware release