Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-26-2012, 08:42 PM   #1
dos1
20% cooler.
dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 1
Drawing app on Paperwhite and Kindle Touch

When playing with my Paperwhite's console, I noticed a tiny app called xtestlab126. It looks like a small test app for touchscreen, but it works well as simple drawing application.

It has one major issue - the only way to exit it is via console.

I liked an idea of having simple drawing app available at no cost, for instance for quick tick-tac-toe sessions or something like that, so I wrote small shell script which fixes the issue mentioned above by closing app on pressing power button or closing magnetic case cover.

Code:
#!/bin/sh
/usr/bin/xtestlab126 &
( dbus-monitor "interface='com.lab126.powerd',member='goingToScreenSaver'" --system; killall xtestlab126 ) &
sleep 1
killall -INT dbus-monitor
I have saved it in /usr/bin/draw.sh and added it to search bar commands so I can run it by typing ";draw" there, but you can have different ideas, like running it via some graphical launcher

PS. Tap with two fingers to clear screen It lacks repainting though, so it ghosts...
dos1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 11:39 PM   #2
brianinmaine
Evangelist
brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Touch (5.3.7)
This also works on my Touch. I made a simple extension for this called 'draw' and added it to Kual. Drop into extensions folder. Kill it by hitting the power button for the screensaver, then again. Not elegant, no width of line or fancy stuff, just draw with you finger. Works for me!

[Flawed attachment deleted. See fixed version here.]

Last edited by pdurrant; 03-05-2013 at 03:01 AM.
brianinmaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2013, 11:46 PM   #3
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Tır
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
nice one...

Ill have a play mate : )

and index it if you like tomorrow some time.

EDIT:

Okay I had a play... First thing I would change:

run

lipc-set-prop com.lab126.powerd preventScreenSaver 0

before the apps starts..

Or even better check the state is NOT 1 via lipc-get-prop com.lab126.powerd preventScreenSaver and if it is Toggle it to 0 and then back to the original state on program exit

... Since the PREVENT SCREENSAVERS button will leave people locked in the app...

(what? as if I would be that stupid... Okay so I did that hehehe )

but all in very nice extension. thanks! (with that caveat)

Oh and it works via VNC for the really serious artists like me
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_085.png
Views:	2130
Size:	20.6 KB
ID:	102322   Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_086.png
Views:	3178
Size:	9.7 KB
ID:	102323  

Last edited by twobob; 03-05-2013 at 12:04 AM.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 12:01 AM   #4
brianinmaine
Evangelist
brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
nice one...

Ill have a play mate : )

and index it if you like tomorrow some time.
Should it be indexed if I don't know what it works on? I only have a Touch and Dos1 says it works on his Paperwhite, I don't know about others? I though others might have a go first just to see what else works.
Old 03-05-2013, 12:05 AM   #5
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

it works on a touch and a PW... simple as that.. : )

the others are not Touchscreen...

Also note the above WARNING just a little change required...
Advert
Old 03-05-2013, 12:09 AM   #6
twobob

PHP Code:
#!/bin/sh
SSSTATE=`lipc-get-prop com.lab126.powerd preventScreenSaver`
lipc-set-prop com.lab126.powerd preventScreenSaver 0
/usr/bin/xtestlab126 &
dbus-monitor "interface='com.lab126.powerd',member='goingToScreenSaver'" --systemkillall xtestlab126lipc-set-prop com.lab126.powerd preventScreenSaver "$SSSTATE) &
usleep 50000
killall 
-INT dbus-monitor 

Yeah... that works.. update it to be that and you are golden for all Use Cases

Hope that helps

Last edited by twobob; 03-05-2013 at 01:16 AM.
Old 03-05-2013, 12:29 AM   #7
brianinmaine
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
PHP Code:
#!/bin/sh
SSSTATE=`lipc-get-prop com.lab126.powerd preventScreenSaver`
lipc-set-prop com.lab126.powerd preventScreenSaver 0
/usr/bin/xtestlab126 &
dbus-monitor "interface='com.lab126.powerd',member='goingToScreenSaver'" --systemkillall xtestlab126lipc-set-prop com.lab126.powerd preventScreenSaver "$SSSTATE) &
usleep 50000
killall 
-INT dbus-monitor 

Yeah... that works.. update it to be that and you are golden for all Use Cases

Hope that helps
Thanks - it helps me a lot!

edit: The screensaver still comes on when I hit the power button, I don't see any difference from how it worked before?

Last edited by brianinmaine; 03-05-2013 at 12:36 AM.
Old 03-05-2013, 12:47 AM   #8
twobob

because... now if you had DISABLED SCREENSAVERS previous to using your extension... the user isn't LOCKED IN

KUAL allows users to disable ScreenSavers. : )

the previous solution does not account for that.
Preventing you from EVER exiting the application... ouchy

I did my best to preserve exactly how it worked before.

Last edited by twobob; 03-05-2013 at 12:51 AM.
Old 03-05-2013, 12:50 AM   #9
brianinmaine
Evangelist

OOOOOhhh! OK, Thanks!

on making the extension - I would like to use dos1 and twobob as the author tag of the config.xml, is that OK?
Old 03-05-2013, 12:54 AM   #10
twobob

fine mate, honored to help out.

see I even spelt that American : )

EDIT: I assume YOU will be on that list too!!! you did all the hard work porting it!
Old 03-05-2013, 12:57 AM   #11
brianinmaine
Evangelist

extract to extensions folder. PW and Touch only. Will add to extensions thread.
Attached Files
File Type: gz draw.tar.gz (588 Bytes, 1740 views)
File Type: zip draw.zip (1.1 KB, 3690 views)
Old 03-05-2013, 01:01 AM   #12
twobob

Superstar.

I'll shove it on the main indexes when you are done.

hmmm... <author>dos1 twobob</author>

You REALLY should be on that list... just saying

EDIT:
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to brianinmaine again.

DOH!!!! come on other people do KUAL THINGS so I can spread the karma!!!

Last edited by twobob; 03-05-2013 at 01:24 AM.
Old 03-05-2013, 01:15 AM   #13
twobob

Both main KUAL thread indexes and Extension Index updated.

MANY THANKS FOR YOUR WORK
Old 03-06-2013, 02:16 AM   #14
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianinmaine View Post
extract to extensions folder. PW and Touch only. Will add to extensions thread.
thanks for the extension, works great.
thomass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:31 AM   #15
flying
flying began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paper white
So, how can I save it as a file?
flying is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drawing, launcher add-ons, pw tools