Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Writer2ePub

Notices

Old 10-20-2012, 05:18 PM   #46
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
pdurrant:

Easy for you to say. Yes, I'm certain I can find someone who can assist us, thanks.

Hitch
Perhaps I should add: And, given calibre's licence, also easy to turn into a stand-alone tool that could be uploaded as such to MobileRead for others to use.

But that all assumes that Kovid is successful.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 05:21 PM   #47
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Okay, then. Unfortunately, that doesn't help me. Thanks for the heads-up, though.

If anyone else is working on it for a freestanding use, or...?, please let me know, thanks.

Hitch
Solution....

Take a copy of the ePub, let Calibre convert it to ePub again and then pull out the subsetted font(s) and use them in your original ePub. Problem solved.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-20-2012, 05:22 PM   #48
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
No, it will be part of the calibre conversion pipeline.
Will the subsetted fonts be fully standard fonts when the conversion is done?
Old 10-20-2012, 10:10 PM   #49
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Will the subsetted fonts be fully standard fonts when the conversion is done?
They would have to be since epub readers wont recognize them otherwise.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 02:08 AM   #50
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

FYI: I have subsetting working for TrueType fonts (fonts with TrueType outlines as opposed to PostScript outlines). Will be in next release. I'll look into adding support for PostScript outlines as well, but that might be too much effort, since most fonts are available with TrueType outlines. Annoyingly many open source fonts use PostScript outlines.

The code is totally new and undoubtedly has lots of bugs. But it seems to achieve a reduction of font sizes to about 30-40% of their original size for most books. f course if you use a huge font like Arial Unicode MS then it will be reduced to ~3%.
Advert
Old 11-14-2012, 12:55 PM   #51
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Phone
How do we know if a FOSS font uses one outline type or the other?
teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 11:28 PM   #52
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh603 View Post
How do we know if a FOSS font uses one outline type or the other?
It doesn't matter, I added support for PostScript outlines as well.
Old 01-03-2013, 09:52 AM   #53
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Any updates now that Smashwords now supports direct epub uploading?
Old 01-03-2013, 01:43 PM   #54
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Any updates now that Smashwords now supports direct epub uploading?
Isn't that still in beta?

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:58 PM   #55
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

What I don't get is why the meatgrinder cannot be used to convert the ePub into all of the other reflowable formats. There's no reason why it cannot be done since the meatgrinder is some version of Calibre.

Also, is Smashwords marking author directly uploaded ePub in a way so we'll know the ePub is not meatground? If not, it's a crap shoot and one I'm not willing to gamble my money on.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:27 PM   #56
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder

Quote:
What I don't get is why the meatgrinder cannot be used to convert the ePub into all of the other reflowable formats. There's no reason why it cannot be done since the meatgrinder is some version of Calibre.
Well, it is in early Beta. Those features might be forthcoming. Although some of the formatting allowed in ePub might not work in, for example, mobipocket or palm. Thus you fall back on the Meatgrinder version.

Quote:
Also, is Smashwords marking author directly uploaded ePub in a way so we'll know the ePub is not meatground? If not, it's a crap shoot and one I'm not willing to gamble my money on.
File a suggestion box item?
Old 01-03-2013, 10:56 PM   #57
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Well, it is in early Beta. Those features might be forthcoming. Although some of the formatting allowed in ePub might not work in, for example, mobipocket or palm. Thus you fall back on the Meatgrinder version.

File a suggestion box item?
How does one file a suggestion box item?

I've found Calibre does a pretty good job converting from ePub > Mobi. Besides, Smashwords could add AZW3 as a supported format given ePub as the source.

With direct ePub upload, are embedded fonts allowed?
Old 01-03-2013, 11:02 PM   #58
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder

Quote:
How does one file a suggestion box item?
Use the "contact us" button at the top of each page? That's my guess.

Quote:
I've found Calibre does a pretty good job converting from ePub > Mobi. Besides, Smashwords could add AZW3 as a supported format given ePub as the source.
True, but take a look at the total list of supported formats. That's probably a bigger reason why the meatgrinder got so much priority over direct ePub conversion. LRF and PDB might not support drop caps or even basic HTML formatting, and just stripping it could make even more problems.

Quote:
With direct ePub upload, are embedded fonts allowed?
That's the only reason why I'd bother with it.
Old 01-06-2013, 05:22 PM   #59
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Use the "contact us" button at the top of each page? That's my guess.

True, but take a look at the total list of supported formats. That's probably a bigger reason why the meatgrinder got so much priority over direct ePub conversion. LRF and PDB might not support drop caps or even basic HTML formatting, and just stripping it could make even more problems.

That's the only reason why I'd bother with it.
You'd bother with it to have clean code that is formatted well. Also, because you want more sales. I rarely buy from Smashwords because of the meatginder. I hate it. IT makes ePub with very poor code because Word is full of poor code. Garbage in/garbage out.

The meatgrinder is just some version of Calibre. Calibre converts just fine to LRF & PDB. If you are not sure of how your finely crafted ePub would look in LRF & PDB or any other format, just get Calibre to convert your ePub and then view it using the native reading program (Don't use Calibre as it converts to ePub first before viewing). Reader for PC for LRF, eReader for eReader (PDB), Mobipocket for Mobi, etc.

There is no reason why the uploaded ePub cannot be the source for all the other formats except PDF.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:45 AM   #60
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder

Quote:
You'd bother with it to have clean code that is formatted well. Also, because you want more sales.
How is the average customer, the "I run windows because everything usually works" guy or girl, going to know whether the code is elegant or not? And how will it influence their decision to buy? I'll be honest, the cover and blurb are more influence to me than the internal coding

Last edited by teh603; 01-07-2013 at 09:50 AM.