Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 01-22-2014, 04:49 PM   #91
Pablo
Guru
Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY PRS-505, PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyDK View Post
Hi Pablo
I enjoyed your "Quick and dirty ePub tutorial" very much. Not too much and not too little information. Perfect. Thanks!
I'm glad you liked it!
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 11:10 AM   #92
tclink
tclink began at the beginning.

Device: none
Good Idea
tclink is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-14-2014, 12:01 PM   #93
cager
Connoisseur
cager 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.cager 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.cager 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.cager 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.cager 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.cager 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.cager 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.cager 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.cager 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.cager 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.cager 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.

Device: none
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo View Post
As per Arios request, I have generated an ePub version of the tutorial (see first post of this thread for the file).
The epub link downloads a file "attachment.php" downloaders need to rename extension as epub to read in Calibre

Now for the hard work of digesting the contents

Thank you very much - I just needed this sort of tutorial, now.
cager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 12:05 PM   #94
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
This can happen if you allow internet explorer to block active x.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 12:18 PM   #95
Pablo
Guru
Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cager View Post
Thank you very much - I just needed this sort of tutorial, now.
I hope you find it useful!
Advert
Old 10-30-2014, 10:45 AM   #96
phossler
Wizard
phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
@Pablo -- nice and concise

Few very minor comments and possible suggestions.

I was reading (of course) the ePub version

Quote:
Footnotes

Real footnotes (those displayed at the bottom of the page) are not supported by the ePub standard. A workaround is to put all footnotes at the end of the book (endnotes).
1. I like to add mine at the end of the chapter with only one chapter per html file

2. For some reason many of the images in the ePub are rotated (Sideways.jpg)

3. There are some long streches of white space (Spaces.jpg)

4. If you want to add additional references, some links that I find useful

http://www.w3schools.com/css/default.asp
http://css.maxdesign.com.au/index.htm
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/CSS_HowTo
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/CSS_template

I added your wiki to my list of resources
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sideways.JPG
Views:	292
Size:	131.1 KB
ID:	130354   Click image for larger version

Name:	Spaces.JPG
Views:	271
Size:	105.7 KB
ID:	130355  
phossler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 09:53 AM   #97
Pablo
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by phossler View Post
@Pablo -- nice and concise

Few very minor comments and possible suggestions.

I was reading (of course) the ePub version

1. I like to add mine at the end of the chapter with only one chapter per html file

2. For some reason many of the images in the ePub are rotated (Sideways.jpg)

3. There are some long streches of white space (Spaces.jpg)

4. If you want to add additional references, some links that I find useful

http://www.w3schools.com/css/default.asp
http://css.maxdesign.com.au/index.htm
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/CSS_HowTo
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/CSS_template

I added your wiki to my list of resources
Thanks for your comments!

The white spaces you see are automatically added by the reader software when text is justified, as is the case of this ePub. This can be changed in the css so that text is left justified, in which case you will see a ragged right margin.

Some images are rotated on purpose to better fit the screen of ebook readers. If you are reading in your PC, the pdf or the wiki versions are better than the ePub version.

Notes at the end of the chapter are more efficient than notes at the end of the book, as (normally) the reader doesn't need to load another file to display the notes. The problem is that when you finish reading the chapter, you run into the notes, and have to skip several pages to reach the next chapter. A workaround is to put a link in the last page of each chapter pointing to the start of the next one.
Old 10-31-2014, 12:09 PM   #98
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Some images are rotated on purpose to better fit the screen of ebook readers.
Which may be quite frustrating if the reader has automatic rotation enabled
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 01:07 PM   #99
Pablo
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
Which may be quite frustrating if the reader has automatic rotation enabled
I didn't know there were readers featuring automatic rotation...
Old 10-31-2014, 01:13 PM   #100
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Tablets and phones.
On Android, drag down the status line and tap the 'Rotation' icon off

Or use Moon+ Pro reader which has its own 'anti rotation Lock'

BTW I also rotate images for best (biggest, non distorted) fit on my personal books.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 01:42 PM   #101
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Quote:
Tablets and phones.
Not only that, my old Cybook Orizon has an accelerometer too.

@Pablo: What I mean is automatic rotation of the whole reader, not of individual images (I don't know of any reader that has this either). Turn the reader and you can read in portrait or landscape, it is funny when you turn the reader to see a landscape picture and picture keeps turning away.

Sure, as theducks says this feature can be turned off, but it can still be an inconvenience. Another problem case comes when some (human) reader prefers to read in landscape orientation, the rotated picture then becomes unnecessarily small (and awkward).

I'm still not sure what is the best choice, but I think I prefer the images in their natural orientation, and hope that the reader can be turned or the image zoomed if needed.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote