Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 10-05-2017, 02:22 PM   #16
jscris
Addict
jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: k1 - KAO2, ipads, h2o, KA1, inkBOOK, T80s, Mars, Nova Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by colibris79 View Post
I got my Boyue Paper (Likebook Plus) a few days ago. It should be mainly the same device.
Here you can check my first impresions

It would be nice to compare both devices. So far, I very happy with mine
Apparently the Likebook Plus has USBOTG and the Illumina does not.
jscris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 09:25 PM   #17
colibris79
Zealot
colibris79 can extract oil from cheesecolibris79 can extract oil from cheesecolibris79 can extract oil from cheesecolibris79 can extract oil from cheesecolibris79 can extract oil from cheesecolibris79 can extract oil from cheesecolibris79 can extract oil from cheesecolibris79 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony T1, Onyx C67ML, Poke 4, Boyue Paper/Likebook
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
It should have a pinhole reset button.
It should (like the previous T80) but it doesn't. I asked Boyue and you have to hold the power on/off button for 15-30 seconds. Still, I find the firmware very stable
colibris79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 09:49 AM   #18
PhilipY
PhilipY began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo; Icarus Illumina XL HD
I received my Icarus XL HD yesterday. Haven't had a lot of time to try things out. There are a few books preloaded, in various languages - but no dictionaries are installed. I just tried connecting to my PC with the supplied USB cable, but no go (it did start charging through the cable). The user manual is pre-installed so I'm reading through that. WiFi does work. I'll wait a bit to try installing apps until I get the regular stuff working. The Home page, etc. are pretty straight-forward.
PhilipY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 06:04 PM   #19
colibris79
Zealot
colibris79 can extract oil from cheesecolibris79 can extract oil from cheesecolibris79 can extract oil from cheesecolibris79 can extract oil from cheesecolibris79 can extract oil from cheesecolibris79 can extract oil from cheesecolibris79 can extract oil from cheesecolibris79 can extract oil from cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipY View Post
I received my Icarus XL HD yesterday. Haven't had a lot of time to try things out. There are a few books preloaded, in various languages - but no dictionaries are installed. I just tried connecting to my PC with the supplied USB cable, but no go (it did start charging through the cable). The user manual is pre-installed so I'm reading through that. WiFi does work. I'll wait a bit to try installing apps until I get the regular stuff working. The Home page, etc. are pretty straight-forward.
If the firmware is similar to the Boyue I would go install Goldendict or Colordict, they handle stardict dictionaries better (some of them don't even work in my Boyue). If you get a white pop-up window with Goldendict you have install either the GoldenDict-1.6.5-Android-3.0+ version or the normal GoldenDict-1.6.5 from their website:
Free version
Paid version

Have you checked if the OTG works?

Last edited by colibris79; 10-07-2017 at 06:09 PM.
Old 10-08-2017, 07:36 AM   #20
PhilipY

I finally got the USB cable working. I don't know what the problem was- maybe I just hadn't pushed it hard enough. It charged but didn't show up in Win10 on the PC. Now it does. Before that, I did install from Google Play Kobo, Kindle, Pocket and X-plore for file management. All worked OK. There is a pre-installed app for using Wifi to copy files from a PC to the Illumina. It puts everything into a pre-defined folder, which is why I installed a file manager to create folders and move around files. The pre-installed file manager doesn't provide that functionality. The app for copying files via WiFi is in Chinese but there are only a few buttons so it is easy to figure out. The link that Icarus provides for StarDict is also all in Chinese and that is not easy to figure out. I think it is a misdirection. BTW, when I ejected the ereader in Windows 10, it showed up as Boyue.

The software is a bit retro (you feel the bits between your toes) but the hardware is working well.
Old 10-08-2017, 08:18 AM   #21
colibris79
Zealot

Quote:
I finally got the USB cable working. I don't know what the problem was- maybe I just hadn't pushed it hard enough. It charged but didn't show up in Win10 on the PC.
It may be because of the case design. When you plug it some usb cables touch the outer plastic so it can't be plugged all way through. It happened the same when I first got it (charging but not connected). I used another cable and it worked. Later on I trimmed a little the plastic from tip of the first cable and also worked.
Old 10-09-2017, 01:42 AM   #22
aurel1997
aurel1997 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
I finally got the USB cable working. I don't know what the problem was- maybe I just hadn't pushed it hard enough. It charged but didn't show up in Win10 on the PC. Now it does. [...]
Hello
I ordered an XL HD last week, and was wondering, as you received it, if you could check (if you have time) how many cores the processor has ? And whether usb otg works or not ?
Thanks
aurel1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 12:41 PM   #23
nrseife
nrseife began at the beginning.

Device: Icarus illumina e654bk
Got my ICarus Illumina XL HD yesterday

Quote:
Originally Posted by aurel1997 View Post
Hello
I ordered an XL HD last week, and was wondering, as you received it, if you could check (if you have time) how many cores the processor has ? And whether usb otg works or not ?
Thanks
See my post at https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...=290626&page=2
The Icarus has the same name as the boyue .... wondering if that means it is the same HW...
nrseife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 02:20 AM   #24
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Sorry, double-posting for completeness...

Can anybody with a BOYUE Likebook Plus or an Icarus Illumina XL HD run Geekbench 3 on it?
Thanks

Geekbench 3, because it supports older versions of Android (4 does not). Older versions of Android are those widespread with readers.

You will need an Internet connection: Geekbench 3 uploads the results to its online database, see http://browser.geekbench.com/geekbench3
mdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 04:50 AM   #25
PhilipY

I installed from Google Play the app "Droid Info". It's great that I can do that on the ereader. It tells me that, inside, this is a Boyue T80S with Android Jellybean 4.2.2. CPU is ARMv7 with 4 cores. It answers Yes for USB OTG. I have yet to try that out.
Old 10-11-2017, 08:09 AM   #26
harisled
harisled began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Hi, I received mine today and I am having touch issues, anyone else have similar problems?
harisled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 08:14 AM   #27
colibris79
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by harisled View Post
Hi, I received mine today and I am having touch issues, anyone else have similar problems?
My Boyue screen works fine.
Old 10-11-2017, 04:38 PM   #28
nrseife
nrseife began at the beginning.

Device: Icarus illumina e654bk
My Icarus 7.8inch screen works fine; I also checked Droid Info and it says indeed 4 cores (so the original specs provided by Icarus are not valid anymore).
One issue I found is that Bluetooth does not recognice my JVC wireless headphones (JVC - HA EC20BT Wireless In-Ear Headphones)....have not tried others to see whether that is just this one brand. Can someone verify/check?
nrseife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 06:46 AM   #29
harisled
harisled began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
I have created a ticket to check if I can get a replacement because mine definitely has touch problems.
I have reset to factory settings, and tried with Developer options>show touches and I can see that it is not registering all my touches.
Also tried drawing apps and there are problems even drawing a line

If anyone else has bought the case the turns off/on the screen, can you verify that if you fold the cover back the magnet locks the screen? Because it does that on mine...
harisled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 08:33 AM   #30
colibris79
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrseife View Post
One issue I found is that Bluetooth does not recognice my JVC wireless headphones (JVC - HA EC20BT Wireless In-Ear Headphones)....have not tried others to see whether that is just this one brand. Can someone verify/check?
My bluetooth keyboard connects just fine with my Boyue Paper/Likebook