Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 02-10-2012, 10:46 AM   #1
xxtraloud
Connoisseur
xxtraloud can extract oil from cheesexxtraloud can extract oil from cheesexxtraloud can extract oil from cheesexxtraloud can extract oil from cheesexxtraloud can extract oil from cheesexxtraloud can extract oil from cheesexxtraloud can extract oil from cheesexxtraloud can extract oil from cheese

Device: DX
is the Iliad still a good deal?

so as I am stumbling upon the larger format e-readers I see a few options that would more or less do the job which is for the most part rating two columns scientific articles with reduces eye strain. The problem is the price which is way over my graduate student budget.

so I have seen a few Iliad for around $150 and also some Sony PRS-950. Also a pocket book 902 for $250. The newer models go anywhere upwards of $350. So at this point I'm thinking of getting a used reader and skip the current generation.

I am just a bit concerned with buying a device of a company that is not around anymore, in addition of being a few years old.

As far as functionality I'm also concerned about PDFs browsing speed and if I will need to zoom in and out a lot.

I was wondering if some Iliad owners could give me some feedback and if you guys think it's were to sell the extra money to get a 902.

Last edited by xxtraloud; 02-10-2012 at 10:49 AM.
xxtraloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 07:31 PM   #2
nhimclc
nhimclc began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hi,
I own an Iliad and I'm also a grad student. I use the reader often and I don't think the screen is big enough for two column articles, at least that's the case in my field - anthropology. But I like that it comes with a pen so I can write as I read. I like its zooming feature. The speed is not very fast, though, when reading scanned pdfs. Just some thoughts.
nhimclc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-12-2012, 06:52 PM   #3
xxtraloud
Connoisseur
xxtraloud can extract oil from cheesexxtraloud can extract oil from cheesexxtraloud can extract oil from cheesexxtraloud can extract oil from cheesexxtraloud can extract oil from cheesexxtraloud can extract oil from cheesexxtraloud can extract oil from cheesexxtraloud can extract oil from cheese

thanks, does it go from one column to the next or do you have to manually go up and down?
Old 02-13-2012, 08:31 AM   #4
zerospinboson
"Assume a can opener..."
zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad v2, DR1000
you can install an alternate pdf view that does that yes. However, getting shell access might be a bit of a pain to arrange.
zerospinboson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 07:32 AM   #5
labzuk
Enthusiast
labzuk began at the beginning.

Device: PRS505 - Iliad
I did receive a pre-owned iliad yesterday and installed the shell access straight away. MYIREX (myirex.irexnet.com) is up and accepting new users. The previous owner had already registered the same MAC so i don't know if that would have made a difference.

PS: I did use a network cable not wifi

Last edited by labzuk; 02-26-2012 at 07:37 AM.
labzuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-05-2012, 07:37 PM   #6
xxtraloud
Connoisseur

i just bought one for $100 on ebay, we'll see how it goes. At that price it was too tempting. I really want a M92 but it's 4 times as much, and a pocketbook 902 is still expensive. I hope it doesn't die on me. it already has shell access and the 1.12 firmware