Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 06-10-2010, 12:04 PM   #1
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Techcrunch: Sideways-the first iPad Only Magazine Is About..The iPad

http://techcrunch.com/2010/06/09/sid...bout-the-ipad/

$3.99, but no ads. Yet.

Quote:
You scroll through pages up and down like on the Web, not sideways, which is silly given the name of the magazine and the fact that side-swiping is becoming the norm for iPad magazine apps.
That is weird.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 12:54 PM   #2
dorino
I'm odd. Take note.
dorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-books

Device: deceased PRS-600, Nook STR
I didn't know there was that much to talk about, tbh.
dorino is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-10-2010, 01:12 PM   #3
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorino View Post
I didn't know there was that much to talk about, tbh.
lol. The real problem is every news item about the iPad is already covered ad nauseum on the internet-not sure how a magazine can add anything new.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 01:23 PM   #4
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
actually not all of the magazine's articles are about the ipad. there's a few other topics covered including the world cup (also covered ad nauseum, but hey, people like soccer), music reviews, training for marathons, and some other things. they will release new issues monthly, but have weekly content updates as well (little things like app reviews).
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 02:43 PM   #5
Fotoman
Groupie
Fotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it is

Device: iPad 64GB wifi (Sony 505 RIP)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
lol. The real problem is every news item about the iPad is already covered ad nauseum on the internet-not sure how a magazine can add anything new.
Yeah. I have the Appadvice app and have the Gizmodo, Endgadget, Wired and a couple of other tech RSS feeds + several sports and news feeds in Pulse. Couldn't get away from iPad stories even if I tried

There are still many competing ideas on how to consume media on the iPad that will settle over time. Frankly, my least favorite model is this single-issue magazine app type... although they seem to have designed a format that is not a direct import of the magazine model.

Right now I think a lot of us are likely to buy anything that seems to be iPad specific for the novelty and curiosity if nothing else. But all this will settle down over time with winning and losing presentation styles.

One of my favorite information apps at the moment is the BBC news one: it's a good mix of text, photos and video (+ radio streaming if you wish) formatted in a way that suits the iPad well... They attempted neither a web-page nor magazine format. Personally I think their model has a better chance of success... I don't know for sure but it seems to me that the popular Pulse RSS reader may have already borrowed some formattting ideas from the BBC app.
Fotoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert